Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Am I the only one who thinks the MLP movie is gonna be a giant toy commercial?

3124567yuhgfdsew

I know almost every(pony/body) is looking forward to the movie, but I have a feeling that it will become a giant "toy commercial" that completely disregards the fandom. After hearing about the animation changing (from Flash to CGI) I was pretty fazed by this, and that seapony/Seaquestria concept is a real turnoff from the movie.

• Brohoof 1

The entire show is a toy commercial you know. It does not mean the writers are not treating the story as well or even better than in the show. Seaponies are not different from Breezies as a concept or transformation or Power Ponies for marketing and I think it's great for worldbuilding. Mermaids are common in fantasy and this is the MLP version of that.

And the show animation would not look as good on the big screen. Have you you seen pictures of the animation? There are some in one of the threads, it looks great.

• Brohoof 5

Who cares? This whole concept has been going on for decades. Those of us who were kids in the 80s remember shows like He-man, She-ra, Thundercats etc which were created for the sole purpose of selling toys, and our enjoyment of those shows was in no way lessened by that knowledge.

• Brohoof 3

You really shouldn't expect it to be made for the fandom. Some nods here and there are fine, but you have to keep in mind that Hasbro has to target a general audience for this film. A movie with the fandom in mind risks alienating potential movie-goers and could well result in a flop. As such I wouldn't aim your fandom-based expectation too high. :)

• Brohoof 3

It's no more of a toy commercial than the show, or any other Hasbro movie/tv show.

As long as it's fun that's all that matters

• Brohoof 3

I know almost every(pony/body) is looking forward to the movie, but I have a feeling that it will become a giant "toy commercial" that completely disregards the fandom. After hearing about the animation changing (from Flash to CGI) I was pretty fazed by this, and that seapony/Seaquestria concept is a real turnoff from the movie.

Toon Boom is not CGI. This is Toon Boom:

• Brohoof 1

Yes, it is. I think people forget that in previous pony generations, the emphasis was on the toys a lot more than the show. That's what makes G4 different that the show is a bigger part than it was previous generations. But it's still just there to help sell the toys, so that's what the movie will be too. Just because it's for the purpose of selling toys, it doesn't mean it's not going to be good. 

• Brohoof 2

If I remember right... there's many series, both cartoons, anime, or key movies, that really do need to pull in merchandise sales to really justify their initial investment. :P Chances are, if you're watching it for free, they have to make their money from either advertisements, or convincing you to support them via purchasing things related to the show. If they convince you it's worth it, woo, you get stuff you care about, and they are more likely to continue making more MLP. If not, hopefully it'll still be fun regardless of merchandise tie-ins, as someone has said above.  :grin:

MLP is basically one lengthy toy commercial designed to sell toys due to Hasbro being a toy company. As such, the movie is pretty much going to continue that trend--the recent Toy Fair further cements this--but on a much grander scales what with how much will be incorporated into it. If anything, the fandom might be given a couple of shouts here and there through references, but ultimately, it boils down to the toys.

• Brohoof 2

We all knew it was going to be a commercial for toys, but with the advent of seaponies, I feel they are taking that up a notch. If that part works with the film rather than hindering it than I will be okay with that, but for now, that is the one part of the movie I have doubts for and I know it exists purely for new toy sets.

(edited)

I think this movie will be a little closer to the previous generations than the brony FiM crowd would like.  There will be parts some of us will like and parts some of us will dislike.  A lot of headcannon will be shattered, and the vision of the world will be forever changed.

Edited by silvadel