Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are Celestia and Luna Lying About Their Power

3124567yuhgfdsew

I've had this theory for awhile now... I think it's only 45% plausible. So, does any(pony)body think Celestia and Luna are lying about raising the sun/moon, for the sole purpose of the throne (much like the pharaohs, of Egypt did)? Maybe they time it... when have we ever seen them do it in the show. except for during the Summer Sun Celebration. 

Also according to lore before the time of Celestia and Luna huge teams of Unicorns had the job of Raising Sun and Moon. speaking of powers though, I feel the reason we never really see Celly and Luna's full powers is simply they HAVE to hold back. They are literally embodiment's of Sun and Moon  and thus if not careful could probably bring down said powers on the planet itself. My personal head cannon is their.. Crowns and chests raiment's are like Limiters that allow them to hold back a massive part of their powers.

Nope that's pretty much it, otherwise they wouldn't let others do the dirty works for them and wouldn't make it that easy for Queen chrysalis to capture them.  

You'd think that by now they would done something useful. What a sorry excuse for a powerful alicorns in the equestria. 

Also according to lore before the time of Celestia and Luna huge teams of Unicorns had the job of Raising Sun and Moon. speaking of powers though, I feel the reason we never really see Celly and Luna's full powers is simply they HAVE to hold back. They are literally embodiment's of Sun and Moon  and thus if not careful could probably bring down said powers on the planet itself. My personal head cannon is their.. Crowns and chests raiment's are like Limiters that allow them to hold back a massive part of their powers.

It only took 6 unicorns to raise the sun and moon (though they did get drained if they did it too long), and Celestia and Luna's special talents are... raising the sun and moon. Honestly I get the impression from everything that alicorns actually aren't anywhere near as powerful as the fandom makes them out to be

• Brohoof 1

It only took 6 unicorns to raise the sun and moon (though they did get drained if they did it too long), and Celestia and Luna's special talents are... raising the sun and moon. Honestly I get the impression from everything that alicorns actually aren't anywhere near as powerful as the fandom makes them out to be

The princesses' magic combined is about as powerful as the rest of Equestria's magic combined, I'd say. At least, that's what the fight with Tirek tells me.

The pilot, part 2.  Celestia is MIA (Hiding or kidnapped? You decide) & The sun does not rise. This shows they are doing something & not just claiming credit for a natural phenomenon.

Twilight raising the sun in Twilight's Kingdom has already been mentioned.

In Princess Twilight, Celestia & Luna have been kidnapped by the plunder vines & everyone is freaked out because the sun & moon are in the sky together. If the moon was just naturally orbiting the world, then sometimes it would be visible during the day.  Instead, it is so unusual that their first thought was that Discord did it.

Also, ICR for sure but I think Discord messed up the day/night cycle in Return of Harmony.

Yeah, from what it looks like, neither Celestia nor Luna are lying. What they are capable of, however, is no where near what people (and ponies) *assume* they are. They themselves never say they are powerful. The only reference is that 'alicorn magic' is capable of doing things regular 'unicorn magic' can't. Which isn't really about power levels, more about flexibility or a different focus. I know how to shoe a horse in RL. I don't know how to fix a car engine. A mechanic is not more 'powerful' than I, nor am I more 'powerful' than a mechanic. We just have different areas of focus for our abilities.

I believe the movement of the Sun and Moon took 6 unicorns working in concert prior to Celestia and Luna (as mentioned by @@Daring_Do), so that's a relative gauge of their 'power'. About 6 unicorns' worth (call them Units, just for amusement value), which isn't that much really. Considering that Twilight and Starlight are considered on the *top* end of the scale, that means the average unicorn has to be somewhere fairly far below that in order to have a useful scale. Twilight and Starlight are conservatively about 3 or 4 'Units' themselves given they actually talk about how powerful they are compared to everypony else, making Rarity shows up probably at 2 Units given the power and control she's demonstrated in other episodes. Discord... 10 Units? More? Hard to tell if what he does is out of sheer power or more out of ultimate flexibility. He hasn't really done anything we haven't seen Twilight do, he just does it casually as if it's no big thing. Which might just be more presentation than anything. Oh, and what he does is apparently unblockable by normal unicorn and alicorn magic (but it is by that changeling magic stone? fascinating...)

However, everyone (including the fandom) seems to think Celestia and Luna are sitting at 10+ Units. I'm not sure what that assumption is based on. 

• Brohoof 2

Well it is shown they use their magic to do it multiple times. They seem very powerful despite being captured like 50 times. Though to be fair it was by powerful surprise attacks.

Other theory (Maybe?)

What if there are other alicorns who raise the moon and sun also.

Odd that those alicorns (if they exist somewhere above Equestria) have never interfered in more earthly affairs. Plus, as multiple people in this thread have already pointed out, there have been instances when Celestia, Luna, or both were unable to exercise their supposed royal duty, so either the sun/moon just sat there in the sky or Twilight had to briefly take over.

There's really nothing that suggests some force other than Celestia and Luna's magic is doing the work.