Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

staff Sectional Moderator applications open!

Troblems

Sometimes MLP Forums is good on staff. It does happen. Just not often. Right now? Right now is not one of those times. Currently we're short staff in three sections.

Canterlot

Roleplay

FIM

So, what does this mean for prospective applicants? First, let's break down the jerb:

A sectional moderator is a volunteer position in which members of the community get a bit more responsibility here on MLP Forums. They proactively report problem threads and posts, move, merge, and retitle, and make sure that ever'thang generally stays within the rules global rules on the forums. They work with global moderators, team leads, and administrators to keep all of the things in tip top shape.

Global moderators, team leads, and administrators? What do they do?

Most of us (not all, but most) started out as a sectional moderator. From there we were promoted to global. Globals usually also have an area of focus, but also add input on all reports that sectionals send, and carry out the decisions of those reports. Team leads are global moderators that help focus the section, assign tasks if need be, and often will train new and incoming staff. Administrators are broken down by tech (unbreaking the broken) and community. Community admins organize all of the things aforementioned, respond to tickets, work on permissions, do announcements, etc.

I've had warnings in the past. Will that affect my chances to become a moderator?

It can. We look at many factors when deciding if a member is accepted as a moderator or not. Among them being of course the application, past warning history, age (more on that below), how long you've been a member, and maturity.

Age? What?!

Whelp, you have to be at least 13 to join the forums, right? We also generally try to make sure that applicants are within a few years of 18, since moderators can often see some pretty disturbing content. While the sectional position isn't necessarily a stepping stone to that purple badge, many sectionals are promoted to global moderator. That said, we don't want a sectional sitting at that level for ages just because we want a full moderator to be 18. Therefore we generally look for applicants to be at least 16.

Everything you just said sounds kind of awful. Why would I actually want to be a sectional after everything you've said?

To be honest, I've met some of my closest friends through MLP Forums. While they may no longer be moderators, I'm still incredibly close with them. And those who are still, I have an incredible respect for. We have some good times, a lot of laughs, and are generally pretty close. The camaraderie is truly the best part about being a mod.

Fine. I'm interested. What's next?

Here's the app. Yay!

Great! That's done. Now what?

Wait.

Seriously. We get a lot of apps. We'll do our best to reply to everyone, but some people may slip through the cracks. We will also turn a lot of people down. If you are turned down, don't take it personally. We encourage you if you're still interested to wait a few months and apply again. If you wish to know why you were turned down, feel free to contact an admin and ask. We're friendly enough.

We'll stop taking applications when we feel we've gotten enough people, so uh... Apply on. Interested in a section that's not listed as being open? That's cool too, but don't get your hopes up too much, as we super need people for RP, FIM and Canterlot.

• Brohoof 22

To be honest, I've met some of my closest friends through MLP Forums. While they may no longer be moderators, I'm still incredibly close with them. And those who are still, I have an incredible respect for. We have some good times, a lot of laughs, and are generally pretty close. The camaraderie is truly the best part about being a mod.

This is perhaps the most important 'intangible' of the position, to the point that when people finally decide to hang up their badge, there is almost always a lasting connection of some sort with former colleagues that goes on beyond the staff tenure.

I've developed genuine friendships on staff, some with people I would go to Hell and back for (multiple trips if needed). Everything that Fresh Nonsense said about the challenges of the role are accurate. The greatest litmus test is asking, "Is the job worth it?" Without hesitation, without doubts, it was for me ... indeed.

Good luck to the applicants. :D

• Brohoof 17

Mods are no longer Gods

Thread has lost all relevency, as noone in their right mind would aspire to become a moderator in this day and age. Positions of forum moderation require level-headedness as a prerequisite to insure candor in all affairs. Insane members becoming moderators can only be a detriment to the community. I suggest the original poster of this thread realizes the error of his ways and shuts it down with all haste. We can assume his potential unwillingness to do so would directly correlate with my above assertion that "no one in their right mind would want to become a moderator", which, of course, also applies to forum  administration as well.

IMG_2091.JPG

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
On 3/7/2017 at 12:42 PM, ChocolateCrane said:

Insane members becoming moderators can only be a detriment to the community.

Oh, I experienced that once (not here) and that's a true true frien-upsies! truth. I agree with this.

Personally I think, that being nice and patient is the most important thing when being a mod, then there comes competence, though both are important.

Staff of MLPF is doing a really great job. They're really nice and they're doing their best to keep this place friendly.  :)

Though I kinda can't agree with the rest of your post.

Becoming a moderator isn't necessarily madness. It all depends on many factors.

Anyway, they're not going to pick a completely random person. That's why they want to get applications first. Then, they will use what they have and compare that to their personal impressions of those people to judge if that member would be a good candidate or not. If nobody will meet their requirements, then they'll just wait a little bit longer.

I don't see anything wrong in here.  :twi:

Oh and getting back to topic~

Hmm.. It made me wonder when I noticed 'Canterlot', because I follow that subforum anyway :huh: ... I'm not sure, but I think I'll pass. Not even a year has passed since the register date of my account after all. Perhaps someday. :P 

Good luck to applicants! May the magic be with you!  :yay:

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 3

Mods are no longer Gods

Thread has lost all relevency, as noone in their right mind would aspire to become a moderator in this day and age. Positions of forum moderation require level-headedness as a prerequisite to insure candor in all affairs. Insane members becoming moderators can only be a detriment to the community. I suggest the original poster of this thread realizes the error of his ways and shuts it down with all haste. We can assume his potential unwillingness to do so would directly correlate with my above assertion that "no one in their right mind would want to become a moderator", which, of course, also applies to forum administration as well.

IMG_2091.JPG

Since the start of MLPF to mid 2014 Moderators were typically invited via PM from an Administrator. This is usually how most forums do it, and it's how this place recruited people, but it hasn't been primary method for some time now.

There has been some form of a Moderator application since around July of 2014, and most of the current moderation staff. After applying there is a strong vetting process to try and ensure there is a good fit for both the applicant and the staff. It is fairly involved at times, and input is sought from all Forum staff. Interviews are part of the equation as well.

Could a really bad fit (like the one you propose) come from the process? Yes, of course. Does it happen? On the whole, no. If a Moderator ever abused his or her role, the Admins would get involved and if it was legitimate, they would show the person the door.

Anyway, there is relevance to the topic insofar that the staff need help. This is the 4th or 5th time since I've been a member here that they've posted a recruitment topic.

If you have any specific concerns, sending a message to an Admin (like the OP) may assuage your fears.

• Brohoof 2

Never thought I would try doing this again. Though since you said past warnings could potentially disqualify, I'm pretty sure my dumbass self as a kid just screwed me over... *Sigh* ah well.

Never thought I would try doing this again. Though since you said past warnings could potentially disqualify, I'm pretty sure my dumbass self as a kid just screwed me over... *Sigh* ah well.

they wont dq you, what they mean is they will look at them and notice what you did 

Mods are no longer Gods

Thread has lost all relevency, as noone in their right mind would aspire to become a moderator in this day and age. Positions of forum moderation require level-headedness as a prerequisite to insure candor in all affairs. Insane members becoming moderators can only be a detriment to the community. I suggest the original poster of this thread realizes the error of his ways and shuts it down with all haste. We can assume his potential unwillingness to do so would directly correlate with my above assertion that "no one in their right mind would want to become a moderator", which, of course, also applies to forum  administration as well.

It's true: only sane people should apply. But if someone recognizes that they're too crazy to be a moderator, they've demonstrated that they're in fact sane and therefore fit to be one.

It's some catch!

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

But if someone recognizes that they're too crazy to be a moderator, they've demonstrated that they're in fact sane and therefore fit to be one.

It's some catch.

this is why i don't apply haha. but maybe that means i should

Edited by trademark2
  • Brohoof 2

I'd like to share a tale or two of my experiences and how you should go about this, or at least some helpful advice. (Before you question I've applied for a moderation position I believe 7 times now)

Firstly don't get your hopes up, I know this sounds pessimistic, but seriously. If you don't have them up they can't be dashed. I made the foolish mistake of getting mine up the last time I applied, I made the most progress this time, but when I got that No again... it crushed me like a ton of bricks. So, simple don't get your hopes up.

Second put effort into your application, I spent two days writing my latest one and had 3 people look over it, just take your time and go over your words. Someone told me to treat it as a real job.

Third be prepared to wait, and I mean a long time something along the lines up to 2 months, so patience my young padawns.

And last if you don't get it ask why, get as much detail so you can improve if you try again.

To everyone else Good Luck! Maybe you can do better than me.

Edited by Mentis Soliloquy
  • Brohoof 4

I'd like to share a tale or two of my experiences and how you should go about this, or at least some helpful advice. (Before you question I've applied for a moderation position I believe 7 times now)

Firstly don't get your hopes up, I know this sounds pessimistic, but seriously. If you don't have them up they can't be dashed. I made the foolish mistake of getting mine up the last time I applied, I made the most progress this time, but when I got that No again... it crushed me like a ton of bricks. So, simple don't get your hopes up.

Second put effort into your application, I spent two days writing my latest one and had 3 people look over it, just take your time and go over your words. Someone told me to treat it as a real job.

Third be prepared to wait, and I mean a long time something along the lines up to 2 months, so patience my young padawns.

And last if you don't get it ask why, get as much detail so you can improve if you try again.

To everyone else Good Luck! Maybe you can do better than me.

Yeah honestly there is no way my 30 minute fill out will be picked. 

XD I just noticed the topic tags. 

• Brohoof 1