Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

staff Sectional Moderator applications open!

Troblems

Like most things I opine on in this area of the forum, it is all based on possibly outdated information so for concrete information ignore me and wait for the official response. I'll try and talk in broad general strokes. 

JU88snow has it right that it can take some time and patience is helpful here. The general life-cycle of an application is pretty basic. You complete the app, the app posts to the staff where all MLP Forums staff (Sectional Moderators to Administrators) can view it. It is read for MLP Forums staff and input from all parties is sought. It the application is promising it can move forward to an interview. If not your application can be set aside for a variety of reasons and you will be notified that the MLPF staff did not select you. Specific reasons may be in the notice or you may be asked to inquire as to why you weren't selected. 

The time it all takes varied greatly on the number of applications and the availability of the staff. The two stages that took the longest were the staff input and interview setup stages. The Administrators generally didn't like to rush an application and would wait to make sure everyone on staff had an opportunity to chime in ... at all levels. Since some staff live in other countries, work jobs, and do that college thing, it has always been an asynchronous process. It actually benefits the applicant and community since I've seen staffers come in late to the discussion, usually when we were going to make a final call on moving to an interview or passing, only to show us something we actually missed or overlooked. And yes, that can be favorable for the applicant. More eyes is a good thing here. 

Getting interviews set-up was a challenge since we did like to have an interview conducted live in a Skype chat group with multiple Moderators and Admins. We also would work with the applicant to get a good time for everyone. It took a bit to do that for even 12 applications, and there were usually more during a drive, not including a few joke apps by trolls and former (but well-meaning) staffers. Sometimes the application forwarding did not function properly causing hiccups. We always preferred taking our time due to the possibility of human and software errors. 

I can tell you that they are almost certainly working on them and making progress. When ever we got distracted by this crisis or that crisis, someone would invariably remind us ... "So how about the applications ... let's work on them :) )

Now, they may have introduced a new system since October and all of what I said is not valid, but in general ... it just takes time to do this thoroughly. How much time has varied. 

Well two things, one, would they notify them on the forum? I mean, I can't see my application again, so I guess I would be notified.

Second, which will ultimately mean I will not get accepted (if I was actually skilled enough to be picked, and let's be honest, I'm not) is the interview. That would be impossible for my situation, via Skype or similar, unfortunately. It was fun trying though, and I am really glad we are getting more staff. I think it would be best to wait until I am 18 or older (I am 16, which is the minimum, but honestly I think it should be 18.)

Also, I still think the tags are hilarious. 

Edited by Foxy Socks

Well two things, one, would they notify them on the forum? I mean, I can't see my application again, so I guess I would be notified.

Second, which will ultimately mean I will not get accepted (if I was actually skilled enough to be picked, and let's be honest, I'm not) is the interview. That would be impossible for my situation, via Skype or similar, unfortunately. It was fun trying though, and I am really glad we are getting more staff. I think it would be best to wait until I am 18 or older (I am 16, which is the minimum, but honestly I think it should be 18.)

Also, I still think the tags are hilarious. 

They will notify you about the interview and if you get accepted or not via the forums PM system.

For the record you can expect the skype interview to be written, not a voice chat if that was your concern.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Techno Universal said:

I applied around a week ago now and there still hasn't been a reply yet. I wonder how long it will take to get a reply from the staff. :)

I actually don't see an app from you... We've been having some trouble with our old automated app-sorting system since the forum software change and it's been causing any newly submitted apps to become stuck in the applications email box (which we then have to search for manually, and only certain people have access to it). This seems to be a universal problem across all apps right now, so I'd like to apologize to anyone who has recently submitted and app and is yet to receive a response. We'll try to locate and review any outstanding applications as soon as we're able! Thanks for your patience and understanding.

• Brohoof 3

So just one quick question. Would I still be likely to be accepted as I'm technically still 15 years old but I'm turning 16 in August this year. It would probably give the staff some time to teach me some things about staffing before my 16th birthday and that amount of time is around tree months. :)

• 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, Kevin_Tang said:

Hmmm... This thread was made in 2017, does that mean it's closed?

Threads do not have an age limit. So long as the thread is not locked and you have permission to post, you may post.

On 6/25/2018 at 9:43 PM, Exactly TheTaZe said:

I guess I could give it a shot. It's better trying than not at all.

Yes, go for it! :D Good luck! :yay:

Though remember what @Unequivocally Recherche said, there's no such a thing as try. :laugh:

• Brohoof 2

I decided to submit an application just to see what happens. It won't upset me if I don't get selected because that's just the way life is, but I will admit that I enjoyed answering the questions. They really made me think outside of the box.

• Brohoof 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • The topic was locked