Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Long Songs

WokeSmeed

14. The longer a song is, the more epic it is.

- The 101 Rules Of Power Metal

This thread is dedicated to songs with epic lengths, the longer the better. Share songs that you consider long. Discuss what you think makes a song long.

I'm going to start with something that I'm pretty sure everybody can agree is long. Here's Sleep's masterpiece, Dopesmoker. If 63 minutes isn't long, I don't know what is.

As for what I think makes a song long, I would say anything longer than 8 minutes. It might be because I've been listening to a lot of long songs for a long time and I'm getting used to long songs.

A good Rockband song I know is long.

And 

I think anything over 4 minutes is long myself. 

I consider 6 minutes or over to be a long song. Unless your name is Metallica, most songs on radio are under 5. 

But if while we're on the subject of long songs, here's some Machine Head, who can't seem to get away from short song writing no matter how hard they try. 

BTW an I the only one noticing most of these are hard rock and metal? 

I don't listen to many long non-classical music. It can be hard to keep my attention that long if it's not classical. Typically I have to look to Progressive Rock.

Darn, it's time for me to go to sleep, and then I listen to this. This song is immensely powerful. Rock music does not often go into this realm of pure atmosphere that classical genres are more prevalent at, but this one really does (particularly in the guitar solo sections), and it's never boring, always changing.

And of course, I always have to post this one, just so amazing. This one has shifting meters and some clearly classically inspired instrumental sections.

anything over 6 mins is what I consider a long song as the average song would be about 3 mins. my bf likes doing songs that are over 4 mins, here's his longest ones that are on YT, he has more on his soundcloud

I love long songs. They always appear as more interesting due to more ideas being stuffed in them and often unusual song structure. Here are my favourite ones:

(I love the middle eastern melodies used here, atmosphere is just amazing)

Melodic death metal piece that's a great blend of aggressive riffing and more melodic approach to music + acoustic passages.

Also I wrote my own song that can apply as a long one. For now it's just an instrumental, but I plan on adding vocals at one point.

Well I guess if you take all the songs from Porter Robinson's Worlds album only using songs sung by Avanna (since they're all connected) you'd get a 16 minute song... but here is one really long full song I know of... this use to be mine, and my dad's favorite song when we were kids.

• Brohoof 2

Darn, it's time for me to go to sleep, and then I listen to this. This song is immensely powerful. Rock music does not often go into this realm of pure atmosphere that classical genres are more prevalent at, but this one really does (particularly in the guitar solo sections), and it's never boring, always changing.

I'm not a Peter Gabriel-era Genesis fan, but I did always kind of enjoy Firth of Fifth.

As for my choice of a long tune that has immense power, I'd go with Telegraph Road by Dire Straits. As somebody who grew up in/around the rust belt, it's as lyrically beautiful as it is musically.

• 6 years later...

Tool - Invincible

Could be about Bon Bon and the secret missions she has:secret:  

Could be about Tom BradyB)  The song is 12 minutes long:bedeyes:  

Could be about Trevor Lawrence:Daydreaming:  Hope brewing for Jacksonville Jaguars:(  Those Chargers didn't stand a chance:devious:  

Could be about the Pittsburgh Steelers and Pirates, who think they're invincible:unsure: