Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology The Nintendo switch is likely to fail because of this...

Techno Universal

My Switch hasn't suffered from any problems but then I can only use it during certain times of the day what with having other things that take up my time. I did have an issue with those straps for the Joy-Con controllers being difficult to pull off once they've been attached so I can definitely verify that being a problem with the console. As for what was shown on that video--I have watched the entire thing a few days ago--they were really unfortunate.

(edited)

at least its starting better than i expected. i wish them good. hope they dont stop the big marketing and specially have lots of unanounced big games. nothing matters if at the end we have no games or just pretty basic games (hello animal crossing amiibo festival). hope with zelda BoTW selling that much encourages them to make more big games instead those lil games Wii U had 

France: 105k Switches sold in France, best console launch ever

untitledxbsmt.png

Objective completed for Nintendo in France. The distributor has sold 105.000 units of its new console, the Nintendo Switch, available from March 3rd. This is the best launch for Nintendo in France since the eighties. It is also the best launch of a console in France, between all the distributors, according to Nintendo. The french branch has fulfilled its objective, which was to match the sales of the Wii, who sold 95.000 units on its first weekend, in November 2007.  source http://www.lefigaro.fr/secteur/high-tech/2017/03/07/32001-20170307ARTFIG00195-la-nintendo-switch-bat-tous-les-records-de-ventes-en-france.php

Spain: best launch of a console in all its history in spain.  45.000 switches sold in 3 days. PS4 had the best launch sells till now (37.000)

source http://www.vandal.net/noticia/1350688288/nintendo-switch-es-el-mejor-lanzamiento-de-consola-de-la-historia-de-espana/

UK: 80.000 sold in his first weekend

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-03-06-strong-start-for-nintendo-switch-in-the-uk

That's double the number of Wii U consoles that were sold during its opening weekend (40,000 back in late 2013).

It's not as high as 3DS' debut, which was 113,000 according to Nintendo. Nor does it come close to the PS4 launch (250,000) or the Xbox One launch (150,000).

USA: no sales know but we know that it sold more than any nintendo system launch there

Fri-Sat sales for Nintendo Switch exceeded first 2-day sales in Americas for any system in Nintendo history. Next biggest was Wii.

https://twitter.com/nickwingfield/status/838872510871433216

Edited by Tropico

I do think there were some poor design choices on Nintendo's part regarding the dock and the joy con controllers, but regarding the issues in the video, it does not seem to be anything new when it comes to new consoles being released. 

at least its starting better than i expected. i wish them good. hope they dont stop the big marketing and specially have lots of unanounced big games. nothing matters if at the end we have no games or just pretty basic games (hello animal crossing amiibo festival). hope with zelda BoTW selling that much encourages them to make more big games instead those lil games Wii U had 

Good sales numbers are at least a positive sign. But everyone knows companies take a loss on each console sold and hopefully make up their profit in software sales. Im looking forward to them getting back their 3rd party groove because this can easily happen again.

y3fDGdM.png?1

• Brohoof 1

i belive that its another wiiu crisis now now put down ya pitch forks and torches die hard fan boys

i have a mega laser and i aint afraid to use it

sorry happens all the time where I live

i believe that this will end worse then the virtualboy if Nintendo don't fix their crap 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rIJmGj4g-s

It's kind of sad that most new Systems are released in this state. Remember the PS3/4? They both shipped with flaws and issues that sony knew about. It's sad but how the Industry works now.

All software and hardware does. Doesn't matter if it's a game console, a mobile app, or an IoT based thermostat. This is also not limited to the last few years. Would you be shocked to learn that cars are often released with known flaws in various components like the ECM or PCM? This is why they have 'B' and 'M' coded CSP's (not to mention TSB's) that are released by engineering shortly after a vehicle ships. I've worked in the tech industry since 1999, this isn't anything new. The good news is that they can actually patch many flaws quickly, instead of having to engineer workarounds for the product's lifecycle.

• Brohoof 1

The Nintendo Switch is a pile of shit. It honestly makes me feel ashamed to be a Nintendo fanboy (well a fanboy of the NES-Gamecuce era, atleast)

Nintendo of today, and Nintendo of yester-year feel like two completely seperate entities.

Edited by ChocolateCrane

All software and hardware does. Doesn't matter if it's a game console, a mobile app, or an IoT based thermostat. This is also not limited to the last few years. Would you be shocked to learn that cars are often released with known flaws in various components like the ECM or PCM? This is why they have 'B' and 'M' coded CSP's (not to mention TSB's) that are released by engineering shortly after a vehicle ships. I've worked in the tech industry since 1999, this isn't anything new. The good news is that they can actually patch many flaws quickly, instead of having to engineer workarounds for the product's lifecycle.

Your right :) I was being quite general with my point, and the ability to patch and update over the internet is a godsend for Gamers in the Modern age. I just remember earlier consoles that had less problems on launch and came shipped complete but I'm probably viewing that through nostalgia goggles!

• Brohoof 1

Problem with Nintendo is, they are trying to recover from a failed generation. Whereas Microsoft and Sony, while they also had their own respective technical faults at launch at different generations each, they weren't exactly struggling from a past gen :huh:

• Brohoof 1

Pessimists are acting like every little thing can be a problem.

Well I got some news for you! My fiancee's been on Breath of the Wild ever since 1:00 in the afternoon, and we're not experiencing ANY of those technical difficulties.

Lets say hypothetically, the system DOES somehow mange to achieve financial success for Nintendo. Lets say it sells like 50 million units in its lifetime or something. How exactly does that affect the actual hardware itself? It doesn't suddenly (magically) transform into an objectively GOOD vidoe game system just because it sells well.

Personally, the Wii was my least favorite Nintendo system to date. It felt so incredibly regressive considering how technologically groundbreaking the Gamecube, N64, SNES, and NES had been when they first released. The Wii was taking several steps backward; both in terms of technical prowress, and complex and engaging gameplay mechanics. The thing sold like hot cakes, and Nintendo was constantly bragging about how amazing the sales were at nearly every e3. Don't you remember gamers' collective reactions to this? They were SICK of the bragging about sales. "Where are the damn games!?" That was the question on everyone's minds. Gamers don't want shallow, simplistic experiences, they pay good money for complex, deep and engaging games. The Xbox 360 and Ps3 might not have been able to achieve quite the level of financial success as the Wii, but the quality of what those systems offered in terms of software and hardware blew Nintendo out of the water. Sure, many Xbox 360s had tons of RRoD problems, but that system at least had redeeming qualities to compensate for the bullshit. Hell, the company would accept 360's back and replace/ fix them free of charge, in many instances! What is Nintendo doing with the Switch? They are saying "Dead pixels are completely normal", and "The Switch isn't having hardware malfunctions". Nintendo fans have learned from Nintendo to continue to deny the company's shortcomings, thereby facilitating more problems in the future. Why make an effort to make things better when the fans will eat it up regardless?

It PAINS me to say these things, since I too was a LOYAL Nintendo fan at one point. PlayStation and Xbox games always turned me off with their focus on "realism" dark and gritty looking graphics, and over-violent content. Sega was pretty awesome for awhile, but even when the were in their prime, Nintendo just seems to trump what they offered in every way imaginable. Now? I don't really have any place to turn besides PS4, Xbox One, and PC. Nintendo has become somewhat of a non-entity within the gaming market at this point. With the Switch I was hoping Nintendo would finally turn things around after floundering for over a decade, but, alas, they seem fated to continuously make the same mistakes over and over again.

Edited by ChocolateCrane