Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

ooc Canterlot Noir (Mystery/Crime/Victorian Style)

Raven Rawne

• 2 weeks later...

@Raven Rawne @Nightmare Season

Just letting you guys know that I've been having a pretty stressful week of testing at college and it's been impeding my motivation to compose a half-decent response. >.> The last of the exams is tomorrow so I really hope I'll have the energy to get back to it once I'm home. Sorry to slow things down.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@Dark Horse @Nightmare Season

So I wanted to discuss one thing before I post. I decided that Crystal would get physical with the waitress,  and, because of her past experiences,  it's sort of a moral event horizon for this character. Now, in order to do her justice and write it in a meaningful way, it would take a while for her to do it, and that means plenty of time for other characters to stop her. So in order to respect your toons as well, I want to ask whether they would protest against it? I can make it so she made up her mind but was stopped by one or both of them.

@Raven Rawne,

Saffron would most likely be against the need for physical violence against some random waitress at this point. From what our toons have learned right now, she would seem to be little more than a casualty of the Rose's power or even just a misguided aide to the hooded stallion. Saffron wouldn't want the team to waste too much energy on anything but the major players in this case, and so he would generally try to be the voice of calm and reason towards Crystal, especially as he is already feeling pretty jaded over the current state of Middle Canterlot and its "hoofs first" attitude.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

Okay sooo... the guards would probably be as talkative as pavement unless you put some gold on their hooves. Maybe Saffron would get more out of them for being a native.   We already agreed that he knows the culprit so, do you guys want to keep getting clues or get a name and speed up the case? By now it would be past noon, so they still have some time left in the day.

@Nightmare Season @Dark Horse

Forgot to mention...

14 minutes ago, Raven Rawne said:

Yup, that's why I tooootally missed it. This new forum rig leaves me clueless unless I get mentioned...

I'm not sure if the 'Follow Thread' option is working correctly or not. Wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't. Lotta things broke when the system moved over. :wat:

So anyway, I assume that we'll soon be approaching our villain for this case. If we are going with the idea of having Saffron be familiar, how do we want them to be played? I could either do it myself or just work around one of you guys. I'm honestly fine with either.

@Dark Horse

Well... no one is following the IC, so no wonder we didn't notice the reply. The notificationswork fine in the threads I follow though, so that's something.

I guess we should cut the chase and at least have a positive Id before the day is over, yes. Getting the name on the hooded figure could be done via a signed pocket watch he lost somewhere, for example. No need to go big and have them stare at each other through the door with "et tu, Brutus!" expressions, heheh. But if you'd like some more loose ideas, just shoot. 

Now I guess, on a larger scale, we are establishing some party dynamic here. Peony prety much covers the bits department, as well as Upper class. Saffron is the middle class link, as well as a pony with his ear on the ground, so to speak. Crystal... well, she's the brawn of the three so far. Makes sense since she's a tradespony with a fiery temper. Later on she can be useful for her savvy in blue collar work, or when you really need to get past some doors and have no keys... ("oops, think I broke the lock, well, they're open now sooooo"). Okay, gotta think of some more uses for her besides going physical. But that almost beating up the waitress was important to her character, which would become apparent is anypony dared to pull her tongue on that.

2 minutes ago, Raven Rawne said:

I guess we should cut the chase and at least have a positive Id before the day is over, yes. Getting the name on the hooded figure could be done via a signed pocket watch he lost somewhere, for example. No need to go big and have them stare at each other through the door with "et tu, Brutus!" expressions, heheh.

Aye, I'd prefer the more subtle realization than having an overly dramatic "IT'S YOU!!" or cheesy Scooby-Doo type scenario. :P Could even be that he's in denial over it at first, since I already mentioned he'd heard rumors of some of his old friends getting into bad places and really doesn't want the reminder of how difficult things are becoming for the City, as well as a personal regret for not being able to do enough to help them.

Crystal's stone-masonry skills could certainly be of use later down the line. Not only for the obvious reasons but she'd also have the knowledge of exotic materials, tools and craft methods. Tiny details that would be overlooked by the other two.

@Nightmare Season I think you took too long a leap this time. Dark wanted to have a proper scene for catching the thief, so I left as much if a window as I could. 

@Dark Horse

As much as I love my Crystal Clear,  I guess she was a poor choice for this particular RP. Not only she doesn't bring much to the table, but also has an actual conflict of interests - she would want to get the job done and hurry back home, rather than divide her time between her norm work and being a detective. But I have a proposition. After this case, when the trio sits down and decides what next, she may decide to opt out. In her stead, I would introduce my bats in the next case. They have no conflicts of interests, would move to Canterlot for good and wouldn't mind extra coin from legal sources. Plus, as locksmiths and accomplished thieves,  they bring the "lower level" to the mix. Sounds okay?

• Brohoof 1

On 21/6/2017 at 8:53 PM, Raven Rawne said:

As much as I love my Crystal Clear,  I guess she was a poor choice for this particular RP. Not only she doesn't bring much to the table, but also has an actual conflict of interests - she would want to get the job done and hurry back home, rather than divide her time between her norm work and being a detective. But I have a proposition. After this case, when the trio sits down and decides what next, she may decide to opt out. In her stead, I would introduce my bats in the next case. They have no conflicts of interests, would move to Canterlot for good and wouldn't mind extra coin from legal sources. Plus, as locksmiths and accomplished thieves,  they bring the "lower level" to the mix. Sounds okay?

I'd have no problem with that. Having new partners be brought in is actually a fairly recurring feature in most 'crime noire' settings, and since the cases are (presumably?) more or less unrelated to each other it wouldn't really affect the greater scope of things, at least not while we're this early in. Gives us a nice excuse to include more of the lower level society too as you pointed out. A run down area ran by miscreants, thieves and other outlaws. Think the slums of London in Oliver Twist where Fagin's gang hangs out. :P

• Brohoof 1