Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Children in the theater?

digit112

On 5/23/2017 at 5:21 PM, digit112 said:

Them being at the movies isn't the reason for my, or any sensible person's problem. It's unruly children who are annoying. Discipline of a disobedient kid is a given part of good parenting and it doesn't matter whether they're at a movie theater or not. Both positive and negative reinforcement are required. So yes, if your kid spends two hours screaming at a movie screen, then they ought to be punished (Though, you definitely shouldn't hit them...)

A slight bit off topic but I suspect physical punishment(spanking) of children is more likely among parents with multiple elementary aged children. Its hard to have patience with a child during the phases of disobedience and bad behavior but as they say it takes a village to raise a child. Now imagine trying to be patient with 2, 3 or even 4 unruly children throughout the day from the house to the store to the school and so on. Not that I encourage it as anything other than a last resort but I cant imagine being able to consistently keep up with constructive lesson based discipline for multiple children at once day in day out without resorting to physical punishment whenever things go bad just to reign in bad behavior as fast as possible.

• Brohoof 1

13 hours ago, SONICchaos said:

A slight bit off topic but I suspect physical punishment(spanking) of children is more likely among parents with multiple elementary aged children. Its hard to have patience with a child during the phases of disobedience and bad behavior but as they say it takes a village to raise a child. Now imagine trying to be patient with 2, 3 or even 4 unruly children throughout the day from the house to the store to the school and so on. Not that I encourage it as anything other than a last resort but I cant imagine being able to consistently keep up with constructive lesson based discipline for multiple children at once day in day out without resorting to physical punishment whenever things go bad just to reign in bad behavior as fast as possible.

That's not true. I look after hordes of children as work.. I have never once had to hit them or use physical punishment to keep them behaving. It's a lazy quick fix that really doesn't fix anything and just makes your kids think that violence is an acceptable response to solve problems. Children listen the most when they trust you and you're not the run-of-the-mill adult who ignores or finds them a nuisance, you have to be on their level, learn their language, child culture. I keep my kiddos in line by giving them the same respect I'd give an adult and I'm very proud of the bonds and lessons I've taught to them, parents take me after care and thank me sometimes even, because they get better at home with these healthy relationships.

9 hours ago, Psychic Shimmer said:

That's not true. I look after hordes of children as work.. I have never once had to hit them or use physical punishment to keep them behaving. It's a lazy quick fix that really doesn't fix anything and just makes your kids think that violence is an acceptable response to solve problems. Children listen the most when they trust you and you're not the run-of-the-mill adult who ignores or finds them a nuisance, you have to be on their level, learn their language, child culture. I keep my kiddos in line by giving them the same respect I'd give an adult and I'm very proud of the bonds and lessons I've taught to them, parents take me after care and thank me sometimes even, because they get better at home with these healthy relationships.

Thats good that you take the time to reason with bad behavior. As I said I merely suspected that may be a reason for common use of spanking. I know plenty of others and strangers who have had multiple children and just let it rock after the 8th time one of their kids tried to get out of the time out corner while having several others screaming in their ear and a few more doing god knows what. I know it was common in my family as my parents came from a very conservative and traditional upbringing. Lets just say after having 3 kids he was pretty liberal in the use of his hand.