Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you have a 'ritual' before watching the show?

Cheval

Bit long winded here: I am currently perusing a website called Encyclopedia Dramatica in order to find out a bit about Jerry Peet's cavacalade of controversy. The whole thing is ridiculous. I refuse to delve any further. But I followed the site's hyper-link to the Brony page. It has the usual pedophilia, basement-dwelling, furry kind of stuff. I have found that no one on this forum would bat an eye at such things, but it did get me wondering about a quintessential aspect of my love for this show - something I have repeatedly expressed on these forums:

One of my favorite things in the world is smoking some marijuana, popping a bottle of white wine, taking a swig straight from the bottle, propping it up by my foot, and reclining on my living room couch before starting a new mlp episode or movie. 

The show doesn't even need to start, and my heart is racing. Everything just feels right. 

I spend the duration of my viewership making commentary and laughing at imagined subtext I could only ever impose as an adult. I care not for lore or congruity. And it is scarcely a matter of recapturing youth, as the Encyclopedia so broadly paints. I find it to be a ritual and a pastime that remains an exciting prospect even on nights when I'm alone and have nothing to do.

I was curious: does anyone else have a way of getting themselves oriented before watching this show or any other brand of media?

Am I alone in my method of enjoyment?  

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I just snuggle under a blanket, make sure nobody is around, grab a soda, and turn on Netflix or the livestream if it's a new episode.

Edited by Prospekt
  • Brohoof 4

New episode rituals... yes I do, (but this depends on the current circumstances...) Right now I am currently not working, but I hope to be within the next couple weeks... just re watching the show, we can do that, any day, any time...

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

download the episode realize my computer cant play mp4 files and watch it on my tablet in bed under my blanket 

Edited by Hoppy
  • Brohoof 1

Nope, nothing special, I just like to check if there is something good to eat while watching:D

I usually just grab a snack, cuddle up with my big plush Panda and let the good times roll.  :love:

The only times I have a special viewing 'ritual' is when I'm really stressed. In which case I typically watch my favorite movie (non MLP) in the nude with a glass of wine. It really takes the kinks out.  :wacko:

• Brohoof 3

Wait half a season for it to get added to Netflix and binge the shit out of it. Not having cable can suck sometimes.

I don't get the channel but I am impatient. Very, very impatient. I usually buy the episode off Amazon video the day after it airs. There's no way I can wait for them to show up on Netflix.

I don't really have any rituals that I do before watching I just watch them.

• Brohoof 1

Just have to say, that song up there in the posts... LOL, i love Al! (cheese!!! forever more!)

**Please keep in mind, this next part is "me", but I only use this in the Sinicism context!

Each time the song come on (gen 4) I sing to it, to help me forget the loneliness and forlorn emotions...

during the episode, I comment how what they did, do, live, will end like, and have is way better than this tormentously  terrible torrent of terror that we like to call "life", filled to the brim with people who have no heart, or soul... so MUST feed on ours. and take them for themselves!!!

------------ done with my crooked humor------------

...but I truly would go, if I could, and only if I could leave behind all the things that would "corrupt" Equestrian life.

though I don't watch regularly (until new, season 7<3) I do actually sing to the opening song, and any songs in the show...

It really depends on what time I'm watching the show. If it is in the morning, I get breakfast and watch the show. If I somehow I missed it in the morning, I usually watch it later with some ice cream or popcorn. Since my dad and I are both fans of the show, we always watch it together.

• Brohoof 2

If it's while I'm still in bed I always check to make sure the volume is down plus I also do this during the day if I wach an episode on YouTube. I always make sure there is nobody walking around upstairs like my brother might be in his room occupied with waching YouTube himself and that's fine but if mom or dad are walking around upstairs I need to be extremely careful as they have a tendency to like invading my privacy and just randomly walking in my room to see what I'm doing and I also always make sure my bedroom door is closed before I start watching. Also what's strange is that I always automatically boot up something called SYT-MLP.DATABASE.LOGIC.ROM and it alows me to compere events in the show to my theory about MLP and if anything from my theory appears in the show and it's pretty interesting really. :)

• Brohoof 1

I usually get all my friends together at a table and we hold a seance to speak to MLP seasons long past, begging for a bright and wonderful episode each premier. Sometimes we sacrifice an anti-brony if we can be arsed enough to go and catch one just to appease the vengeful and demanding spirit of Celestia... if one is unavailable we make do with Hostess snacks we got on discount before they expire. Then we paint each others bodies and do ceremonial piercings, dancing and yodeling while occasionally mumbling about forbidden shippings in a trance until it begins. About halfway through the show we burn an effigy but are careful not to let it go up all at once, since the fire department tends to ruin everything when they get there right before the best part and put a stop to things. After the show, depending on how it went, we either reenact the episode by memory so we can say we lived the experience... or we riot and ALWAYS flip at least one van... otherwise honestly it is a pretty poor riot.

Oh wait... I don't own a table. I don't do any of those things. I usually just sit down and watch the show. But I do it menacingly if that counts for anything?

When watching new episodes:

Use whatever device I have nearby to immediately flock to Dailymotion like the cable-less pleb I am, regardless if I'm at home or in public.

When rewatching episodes while waiting for the new season:

Water/Sprite/Tea along with any snackage by my side,

Wrapped up in a nice, warm blanket,

Netflix pulled up on the big ol' screen :3

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...