Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

food Toys in cereal boxes. Should they make a comeback?

ManaMinori

Anyone remember how back in the 90's, toys in kids cereal was huge? Why do you think they stopped? Should toys in cereal be brought back? What was your favorite toy from a cereal that you remember getting? (I remember those color changing spoons)

• Brohoof 1

I think they should. I know there was this straw you could connect to other straw pieces... Oh and this oval shaped toy that had disney characters on it. I dont remember what those were called though...

Definitely! Getting a random collectible in a cereal box would still be cool to this day I think, I wouldn't mind collecting them. XD It would be cool if they upped the quality and made them collectible figures or something.

It'd be neat, but doubt it'd happen because kids are going to beg for the sugary stuff.

Then get diagnosed with adhd because of the artifical colors and flavors.

They absolutely must put toys in cereal boxes! This is a staple of life and what defines us as the dominant species on the planet! (Honestly, what other species has toys in their cereal boxes?)  :derp: Toys are fun, they are good ways to promote whatever cereal they're in, and it's good for kids (and adults) to have a little bonus to brighten up their morning.  :pinkie:

I actually didn't realize they'd stopped putting toys in the boxes, so this comes as an unpleasant surprise and one to be taken as a harbinger that the end of the world is upon us.  :o_o:

Granted, the toys have become increasingly lame as time has gone on, but it's really the thought that counts. Look at Cracker Jack. Back in the day, they used to have some seriously awesome prizes. Now, if your lucky, you'll get a cheap little sticker or something.  :pout:

Most of the really great cereal box toys that I remember are from my earliest childhood, and some belonged to my older brother and sister before me until I liberated them for my own enjoyment (hey, these are important heirlooms, someone has to protect them for posterity!) Among them were some cool Rescue Ranger figures. I still have Monterey Jack and Gadget Hackwrench, and the latter still decorates my desktop.  :sunbutt:

• Brohoof 3

Yes! I don't want to visit McDonald's for the same semblance. I need some of THAT childhood back!

@Dreambiscuit: "Among them were some cool Rescue Ranger figures. I still have Monterey Jack and Gadget Hackwrench, and the latter still decorates my desktop." Oh, hello...new bestie!  :P

• Brohoof 1

Most of the really great cereal box toys that I remember are from my earliest childhood, and some belonged to my older brother and sister before me until I liberated them for my own enjoyment (hey, these are important heirlooms, someone has to protect them for posterity!) Among them were some cool Rescue Ranger figures. I still have Monterey Jack and Gadget Hackwrench, and the latter still decorates my desktop.  :sunbutt:

The RR and Darkwing Duck ones were the best, I used to keep Chip and DD on my desk for ages. There is a whole collectible base built around these toys now.. some of them are very difficult to come by these days.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 years later...

Absolutely! Cereal box prizes were one of my favorite things EVER! I literally got a CD with a computer game in one once. :squee:

I’ve heard arguments about it being a choking hazard, but like... how? When I’d get stuff they were in sizable plastic baggies (to keep the cereal dust off). Too big to miss seeing and usually too big to stick in your mouth even if you wanted to.

Edited by ShadOBabe
Typo
  • Brohoof 2

I remember this one time Capt'n Crunch had this video game that came with their cereal!!!  

I think they still have little toys with certain promotions but you don't see them nearly as often as you used to.  They could always stick it in the same box but not the same bag if they're worried about a toy contaminating the cereal.

I didn't care much for them even as a kid, for some reason. Except for the Looney Tunes toys that came with Kellogg's Frosties at one point – those were obviously nice to a Looney Tunes fan like me. :D

What I miss more is when they had computer games in cereal boxes. I remember a disc with random arcade-style games (card games, puzzles etc.) and one with space-themed shooters. I have no idea how many times I played those silly little games – a lot of times, anyway. :P

• Brohoof 3

• 4 weeks later...