Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you be willing to be a colonist on Mars?

Azureth

Say you were given the option to be one of the first to colonize mars and while you would get all the necessary supplies and such, it also would mean it would be a one way trip and you would never return to Earth and eventually die on Mars. Would you be willing to do so? And for those married you could take your spouse and/or children with you.

• Brohoof 1

If I could go to Mars I'd sign up so fast my undies would have to catch the next spaceship after me! I'd love to go. There's nothing like the true spirit of exploration, and especially when that includes a whole new planet! I have always loved Mars and being among its first new inhabitants would be an honor like few would ever get. 

Now if there were already facilities in place. and the chance to live a normal life with normal amenities, it would be even better. Living in a tiny scientific cubicle surrounded by gadgets and tanks and knobs and blinky lights would be unaesthetic and would probably get old after a while. But even so, I'd probably still do it. It's just too great an opportunity.  :o

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 1

I'm not particularly fond of going great distances unless it was to someplace that appealed to me, and to be perfectly honest, I'm not fond of wanting to go to Mars since there isn't really much there given how barren it is.

• Brohoof 1

Seeing as I have internet addictions, I probably wouldn't last long before going insane... maybe once they establish internet I'd go, but for now I'm happy in my chair looking at my computer.

Sure why not, who knows maybe I'd even do something well, and be remembered in posterity, or maybe I'd just get dust in my lungs and die.

Probably, as long as there are some sort of actual living facilities and amenities in place. Personally I would rather live on a ship exploring different worlds than just live on some other planet.

Absolutely, 100% NO.

I like Earth just fine thank you.

How about Mars, Pennsylvania? The final frontier and all that. Go boldly where no one has gone before... except the current residents of course.

• Brohoof 3

NOPE.

Seen/read far too many psychological horror space thrillers for that. Plus, I'm happy on Earth; there's no reason for me to relocate so dramatically. And the Internet lag would be simply monstrous.

• Brohoof 2

I would love to say yes if I could take my boyfriend, my brother and some friends with me, and also because space is infinitely fascinating to me. To explore a new world like that would be incredible, but it would also be terrifying knowing I would be so far from my original home. So much so that I don't think I could do it.

Honestly i probably wouldn't want to. I would very likely get home sick and long to return to Earth. I would miss the breath taking natural wonders and sights of Earth and its lush forests which are so serene on a quiet summer afternoon. Mars although an interesting planet it is ultimately boring because it literally is just a boring cold wasteland. You would have to live in an enclosing environment and you certainly would not have all the amenities that are present on Earth. I would actually consider living on mars if it was a terraformed planet but sadly that kind of stuff is likely centuries away and would take centuries to implement.

Space is cool and all, but I rather stick to living here. Going off planet is so dangerous and space is unforgiving. I wouldn't even know if the ship I would travel on would make it to Mars in one piece (or rather the piece that is supposed to make it). 

Beta testing or first time use of software is bad enough, but it's much worse for colonizing foreign lands/planets.

I mean it cuts off a lot of possibilities, and it might be lonely there, but if there wasn't the flight time thingy and I had a decent amount of money and friends there, yes, I'd actually prefer to live there. Just need a pc with a net, a couple of friends and a good bit of money :^)

No way. Not only would I be terrified to leave Earth's atmosphere, I'd be devastated at potentially leaving all my friends and family behind, should they decide not to go with me. I'm perfectly content living on earth! :)

In all honesty, probably not. Just think of how humans on Earth will affect the environment on Mars...I'd rather not think of destroying another planet's resources.