Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you be willing to be a colonist on Mars?

Azureth

I've actually thought about this question quite a lot and it's hard for me to make a definite decision. I have so many goals I want to achieve on earth but at the same time I go through waves of wanting to achieve my goals and feeling like I don't really belong anywhere. So it's something I'd have to think about pretty hard before making a definite decision. It's definitely something I am really fascinated by though. There's also the whole leaving my friends and family behind assuming we're talking about being a part of the select few that are chosen to colonize mars as appose to mass immigration already being a thing. I guess you could still technically stay in contact but the radio delay would definitely make it a lot harder. 

Edited by Vinyl Scratch.

Why not? It would be pretty cool to do something no one else has done before + outer space and other planets are fascinating to me. Obviously it would be more interesting to visit a potentially habitable planet but that's (literally and figuratively) a long way off

I'd rather not have something screw up and the have to live off of potatoes that I grew with my own feces, write morse code with rocks, and listen to disco for the rest of my sad exestince.

Edited by Pr0m4NV14
  • Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

On 2 conditions:

1. I will not be alone. Even a small group of other colonist strangers is fine.

2. Both the trip and the colonization have to be as safe as humanly possible.

In that case I wouldn't think twice about it.

I wouldn't. I like the Earth and its comforts. I see no reason to go out and colonize a planet. Why not send our criminals to Mars, though? They used to send criminals to Australia and that became a pretty cool place, so who knows what criminals and their descendants could manage on Mars.

I would jump at the chance to be a colonist on an Earth type planet, but would settle for Mars. In fact, I caused my parents some concern when I was little. I used to proudly declare (For no particular reason)  that when I grew up, I wanted to be the first women to DIE on Mars. That just sounded cool to me!

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

• 4 weeks later...

Man all I need is my "doctor' to deliver me "medicine" by the "street corner" and ill be on mars before I get back to my apartment.

Oh and yes. I think it would be very interesting to be one of the first to colonize a new giant space rock.... Itd be like the settlers, but in SPACE (epic space music plays)

(edited)
On 3/13/2017 at 2:04 PM, Blue said:

I'd prefer to live the rest of my days on a submarine. At least there would be less radiation.

Plus the novelty would probably wear off a lot sooner. Somehow I feel like I'd quickly get bored of collecting dust samples and goofing around in low gravity, but there's a great deal of stuff to explore in the ocean and if you ever get bored of THAT you can come back home within a day or two.

Edited by Kitty~

12 minutes ago, Princess Moony said:

I do it! owo since I like doing new things xD

But then you leave everyone else behind on Earth forever; no coming back :CCCCC

:C

(then again it's not like we know each other in person or see each other physically so what do I care :derp: )

Between the several-month voyage with potential exposure to cosmic rays, an incomplete knowledge of the effects of microgravity on the human body, and a 3-21 minute delay when browsing Earth internet memes, I don't think I'd make it. Hell, I'd probably panic just getting in the rocket. :P

As much as I think colonizing Mars is an essential step to humanity's survival, it's probably not for me. Or at least, I wouldn't be one of the first.