Azureth

Would you be willing to be a colonist on Mars?

If I could sit and rot, maybe. Otherwise, no. I don't really care about personally going to Mars. I prefer being a homebody.

(edited)

I've actually thought about this question quite a lot and it's hard for me to make a definite decision. I have so many goals I want to achieve on earth but at the same time I go through waves of wanting to achieve my goals and feeling like I don't really belong anywhere. So it's something I'd have to think about pretty hard before making a definite decision. It's definitely something I am really fascinated by though. There's also the whole leaving my friends and family behind assuming we're talking about being a part of the select few that are chosen to colonize mars as appose to mass immigration already being a thing. I guess you could still technically stay in contact but the radio delay would definitely make it a lot harder. 

Edited by Vinyl Scratch.

Why not? It would be pretty cool to do something no one else has done before + outer space and other planets are fascinating to me. Obviously it would be more interesting to visit a potentially habitable planet but that's (literally and figuratively) a long way off

(edited)

I'd rather not have something screw up and the have to live off of potatoes that I grew with my own feces, write morse code with rocks, and listen to disco for the rest of my sad exestince.

Edited by Pr0m4NV14

Badges

Well, if Mars was terraformed, then yes, I'd gladly live there. I can start life again in a different planet, and also to be myself there as well.

nope. I wouldn't know what do to on mars.

Absolutely NOT. Mars has no atmosphere ever since it's outer core cooled and solidified. No atmosphere, no Buck Rogers.

nah I wouldn't,going to mars and leave earth hell NAH! XD

I would. It would mean leaving every opportunity I have on Earth, but I would also gain new opportunities to make my own fortune on Mars.  

Badges

On 2 conditions:

1. I will not be alone. Even a small group of other colonist strangers is fine.

2. Both the trip and the colonization have to be as safe as humanly possible.

In that case I wouldn't think twice about it.

I wouldn't. I like the Earth and its comforts. I see no reason to go out and colonize a planet. Why not send our criminals to Mars, though? They used to send criminals to Australia and that became a pretty cool place, so who knows what criminals and their descendants could manage on Mars.

Badges

Nope, I hate abandonment, so I wouldn't do it to others unless I felt like those who meant something to me have already all abandoned me.

Mars? You mean Autonomous-Space-Russia Outpost 1. Sign me up, I'm ready. 

(edited)

I would jump at the chance to be a colonist on an Earth type planet, but would settle for Mars. In fact, I caused my parents some concern when I was little. I used to proudly declare (For no particular reason)  that when I grew up, I wanted to be the first women to DIE on Mars. That just sounded cool to me!

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

If it has the internet and a solid supply of coffee, soda, and sweet and sour chicken or Yakisoba, then I'll go.

Man all I need is my "doctor' to deliver me "medicine" by the "street corner" and ill be on mars before I get back to my apartment.

Oh and yes. I think it would be very interesting to be one of the first to colonize a new giant space rock.... Itd be like the settlers, but in SPACE (epic space music plays)

(edited)
On 3/13/2017 at 2:04 PM, Blue said:

I'd prefer to live the rest of my days on a submarine. At least there would be less radiation.

Plus the novelty would probably wear off a lot sooner. Somehow I feel like I'd quickly get bored of collecting dust samples and goofing around in low gravity, but there's a great deal of stuff to explore in the ocean and if you ever get bored of THAT you can come back home within a day or two.

Edited by Kitty~

Badges

yup.
i certainly would.
it's not like i would contribute much right now either.

12 minutes ago, Princess Moony said:

I do it! owo since I like doing new things xD

But then you leave everyone else behind on Earth forever; no coming back :CCCCC

:C

(then again it's not like we know each other in person or see each other physically so what do I care :derp: )

Between the several-month voyage with potential exposure to cosmic rays, an incomplete knowledge of the effects of microgravity on the human body, and a 3-21 minute delay when browsing Earth internet memes, I don't think I'd make it. Hell, I'd probably panic just getting in the rocket. :P

As much as I think colonizing Mars is an essential step to humanity's survival, it's probably not for me. Or at least, I wouldn't be one of the first.