Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Favorite/LeastFavorite Launch Games

Megas

Whenever a new console arrives, they always need software to show off what the system is capable of....which can lead to mixed results. What are some of the best/worst you've experienced?

Best

Super Mario World(SNES) - Pinnacle of 2D Platforming

F-Zero(SNES) - MODE 7!!!! and a solid racing game to boot

Super Mario 64(N64) - First example of a 2D franchise going 3D

Power Stone(Dreamcast) - Great 3D arena brawler that Capcom really needs to bring back

Sonic Adventure(Dreamcast) - Kinda aged poorly, but at the time it was a blast

Soul Caliber(Dreamcast) - Great fighter based around weapons and the start of something special

Luigi's Mansion(Gamecube) - Luigi finally gets to star in his own game

Star Wars Rogue Leader(Gamecube) - One of the finest Star Wars games made, visually impressive even today

Halo(Xbox) - It's fucking Halo

Call of Duty 2(Xbox 360) - One of the best Mutliplayer shooters by this point)

Dead Rising 3(Xbox One) - Not as good as the earlier DR games, but still a ton of fun

Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild(Switch) - One of the greatest Zeldas to date

Tetris(Game Boy) - It's fucking Tetris

Castlevania Circle of the Moon(GBA) - First of many fantastic metroidvania's on the GBA-DS

Metal Gear Ac!d(PSP) - Weird, yet fun little MGS spin-off

Twisted Metal Head On(PSP) - Best Twisted Metal since 2

Street Fighter IV 3D(3DS) - Surprisingly solid despite being ported to much inferior hardware

Uncharted Golden Abyss(Vita) - Great Uncharted experience on the go

Worst 

Street Fighter: The Movie(PS1) - Street Fighter in name only, removes everything that made that series great

Perfect Dark Zero(360) - More or less killed Perfect Dark as a franchise

Resistence(PS3) - Just a really boring shooter

Red Steel(Wii) - Unresponsive mess

Call of Duty 3(Wii) - The normal game on other consoles is nice, on Wii it's an unresponsive mess

Killzone Shadowfall(PS4) - Really boring turd that looks nice

Ryse Son of Rome(Xbone) - see above

Knack(PS4) - Reeeeeeaaaaaalllly underwhelming platformer

1-2-Switch(Switch) - Don't buy this unless you hate yourself

• Brohoof 4

• 2 months later...

I absolutely loved Kameo Elements of Power for the 360. While it might not be one of the all time absolute greatest Rare titles, I feel it is kinda underappreciated these days. The graphics were incredibly colorful and detailed and the many powers you got were really cool and allowed for many gameplay elements. There's also the huge battlefield with the trolls. Didn't serve much purpose, but it was a really cool technical showcase for the 360. 

Another great launch title was Lumines for the PSP, you already covered Twisted Metal which was also fantastic so I will cover this one. A really awesome new IP for a puzzle game. The visuals were really cool with all the colors and the background and the many different styles for the different songs. Plus the gameplay is just addicting. A bit of a shame the series sorta fell off the radar after the Vita installment. 

Then of course we have Forza Motorsport 5. While some people did say that it lacked content compared to the previous game, I feel this was an amazing launch title for the Xbox One. The graphics were incredible, and the gameplay suited any type of racing playstyle, with an awesome level up system and gameplay that felt rewarding and was perfect for newcomers like me. This is the game that made me love the genre and it is my absolute favorite of the genre. 

One that can never be forgotten is Wii Sports for....uh, the Wii. While looking back I tend to think the Wii was a terrible console, Wii Sports provided some of the most fun I have ever had in gaming. Playing bowling with family and friends on Christmas in 2006 is a memory I will cherish and we enjoyed that game for so long. Makes me feel really nostalgic.

Speaking of nostalgic, Dynasty Warriors for the PSP. Probably not on any else's 'best' list, this game, much like the rest of the series, is niche through and through, but I loved it. I loved Dynasty Warriors 4 and this was the closest I could ever get at the time to having that game anywhere I go. I remember on launch day, my dad got me the PSP and I had to wait until after school to unbox it and try it out. I was so friggin excited. XD The same day of course I got Dynasty Warriors as my first game and I played it so much. The gameplay was more limited for sure, but it still felt like a Dynasty Warriors experience on the go. 

Going back to the Wii, I actually feel Excite Truck was an underrated gem. While the graphics were definitely unimpressive, the gameplay was quite addicting. It used the motion controls in a great way that wasn't overbearing and the fast paced, arcade style gameplay shined through.