Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Does Anypony Still Use Physical Keyboard Phones?

Denim&Venöm

In this touch screen dominated world, does anypony still use or prefer a phone with a physical or QWERTY keyboard?

71dVpOHgKDL._SX450_.jpg

zte_z432.jpeg

p606-full-qwerty-keyboard-android-2-2v-o

81Ux-qSWfEL._SX425_.jpg

I'm using this one

comunicator9000.jpg

Edited by Denim and Venom
  • Brohoof 2

The only thing I miss about having a physical keyboard is tactile feedback. But, they do take up real estate that could be filled screen, and I do like having a 16:9 screen over a keyboard.

• Brohoof 1

I was a die hard holder to physical keyboard phones until 2013 when my phone was showing its age - like browsing Twitter on it was broken. While I could have gone with a newer phone with a physical keyboard, I don't think Samsung was making new ones like it. I don't remember what convinced me to try the iPhone, but I haven't looked back.

I do periodically miss physical keyboards. I feel like most of the errors i make when typing come from not having a physical keyboard with buttons to hit. I very nearly ended up getting a Motorola Droid (back when that was a thing) for that very reason.

I held onto my old smartphone Samsung Stratosphere as long as I could before I finally gave up my last keyboard phone to the inevitable Galaxy

Samsung-Stratosphere-4G.jpg

The one before that I liked almost as much except for its smaller inner screen the LG Envy

verizonlgenvtouch11.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Not me, but a lot of my friends do. Some people just care about the phones for the ability to call and receive calls.

My current phone is actually an old Nokia phone from 2006 and it only has a number pad and it was one of the first mobile phones to have a LED screen instead of an pixel LCD screen. Also the phone cost around $1200 when it was brand new but it still has a battery life that's enough to power the phone for up to 7 days if it's always turned on but not used and it seems more reliable than an IPhone even though it's more than 10 years old now. It also doesn't have a touch screen and it doesn't support Internet access. :)

Not really.

They seem to be outdated nowadays.

Not quite. Blackberry still sells those phones alongside their touch-screen phones (remember when they dominated the market a decade ago?), the recent one being the Priv and Classic. While it's market is diminished in the US, it still has a bit of popularity in Europe, Asia, and parts of Central America.

Also, flip phones are still a common sight in Japan.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like my keyboard phone, I've had it for like 7 years. I don't really have use for a smart phone. I use my phone less than most people and when texting I like typing full sentences and the keyboard makes that easier. I thought about getting a smartphone, but couldn't find one small enough to fit in my pockets.

Nope, but as recently as 2 years ago I still used an LG Cosmos 2 slide phone. My parents bought it for me when I was 13.

That thing must have been indestructible; dropped it many times but never broke it. :lol: And the slide keyboard worked very well.

I would like to have one but there aren't many models available or they cost too much. I have a touch phone with a 4.3" screen and I find it difficult to browse the internet with it.

I freaking hate touch screens! Especially cheap ones where it always seems to think I'm clicking the button right next to the one I actually want. :okiedokieloki:

I had one with a keyboard a good while ago and I loved it. But I don't even have a touch screen phone now.

All I have is the laptop.  

My very first smartphone was a Galaxy Y pro which had a QWERTY keyboard which made typing REALLY comfortable. However its screen was not only very small, but on landscape mode by default which made it incompatible with many apps.

I eventually moved to modern smartphones and I definitely don't regret it (currenty using an iPhone 5s) , but holy Celestia do I miss typing on that thing. Good thing I can use pretty much most of the messaging services I use on my laptop so I can still type on a physical keyboard

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I used to have such a phone like everybody else but at some point I switched to smartphone. Since that I never returned to those and most likely never will.

• 5 months later...

Lol no. My first phone was literally a pink flip phone. It worked fine for its time. Got my first smartphone when I was like 14 or so. Probably some crappy one too. lmao

Now I got myself an iPhone 11 LOL