Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would Discord have made a better student for Twilight?

ManaMinori

Rather than bringing in a brand new character that is also an option Twilight clone, should the writers have made Discord Twilight's student instead? Thinking about it, he's still inexperienced, his only friend is Fluttershy, so he could do to make more friends, as well as give Twilight a challenge up against his chaos magic.

• Brohoof 2

Rather than bringing in a brand new character that is also an option Twilight clone, should the writers have made Discord Twilight's student instead? Thinking about it, he's still inexperienced, his only friend is Fluttershy, so he could do to make more friends, as well as give Twilight a challenge up against his chaos magic.

eh, it seems like to me he is already fluttershy's student ish. I wouldn't really want that gone. It wouldn't feel as natural as fluttershy and discord imo. 

Tbh I would rather have starlight learning herself and not having twilight be her teacher. It just doesn't feel very natural imo to have Twilight be starlight's teacher as it was with Discord and fluttershy. 

It feels like Twilight's teacher role is an unnecessary role. I would rather have twilight stick to a developing character rather than act as a teacher. And have Starlight learn on her own, kind of like Celestia did with Twilight

Edited by Firedog
  • Brohoof 1

Discord is a needy deus ex geezer so I don't think this would work all that well. However, the question does make one think.

What kind of a student would work best for IP development? What kind of a student would work best as a close associate of Mane 6? What kind of a student would not waste potential of existing characters? Do we really need such a character?

• Brohoof 2

I think Flutters already has this covered, but we need  actual episodes revolving around the concept of her telling Discord to cool it. Having episodes where she does put him in his place, and this way, she can teach him that doing completely random things for the hell of it might not be the best idea. Would help fix his character a bit more.

• Brohoof 2

That's actually not a bad idea but seeing how he gets on Twilight's nerves almost all the time he spends with her ...it would make things... interesting between their teacher-student relationship 

• Brohoof 3

not sure if others have had this thought...

fluttershy + discord

Twilight + Starlight

Dash + Scoot

Rarity + Sweetie

Jack + Bloom

and (technicaly) Pie + Cake twins, sorta...

is there an intentional "partnering" of mentor/student? or am i just reading into it too far... also I do think discord would be better with fluttershy as her timid nature will teach discord to be observant of his actions, mellowing his general attitude. Twi would just urge on his chaotic side... not intentionally.

• Brohoof 1

eh, it seems like to me he is already fluttershy's student ish. I wouldn't really want that gone. It wouldn't feel as natural as fluttershy and discord imo. 

Tbh I would rather have starlight learning herself and not having twilight be her teacher. It just doesn't feel very natural imo to have Twilight be starlight's teacher as it was with Discord and fluttershy. 

It feels like Twilight's teacher role is an unnecessary role. I would rather have twilight stick to a developing character rather than act as a teacher. And have Starlight learn on her own, kind of like Celestia did with Twilight

I think Flutters already has this covered, but we need  actual episodes revolving around the concept of her telling Discord to cool it. Having episodes where she does put him in his place, and this way, she can teach him that doing completely random things for the hell of it might not be the best idea. Would help fix his character a bit more.

Fluttershy already has those friendship lessons covered. 

I wouldn't mind seeing Twilight learn some Chaos magic from Discord tho.

has Fluttershy even scratched the tip of the iceberg on helping Discord make other friends beside herself? His entire reformation was because he wanted friends. But he still has one friend. Meanwhile, Starlight Gutter, who was introduced far later, already has at least 4- Spike, Sunburst, Trixie, and Twilight. (I highly doubt Discord is her friend)
  • Brohoof 1

Probably not. Twilight and Co. are still not a 100% trusting of discord and certainly don't enjoy spending time with him for long periods of time. Fluttershy was the only one to ever give him the benefit of the doubt a give him a true chance on equal ground so i personally think Discord was better off with Fluttershy. They get along well and Fluttershy has always shown him respect and kindness and i think that in turn rubbed off on Discord. Friendship was indeed important for Discord to learn but he also needed to learn how to be kind and respectful and that was not something he could really learn from the other ponies since they couldn't stand to be around him and always where very passive aggressive. 

• Brohoof 1

has Fluttershy even scratched the tip of the iceberg on helping Discord make other friends beside herself? His entire reformation was because he wanted friends. But he still has one friend. Meanwhile, Starlight Gutter, who was introduced far later, already has at least 4- Spike, Sunburst, Trixie, and Twilight. (I highly doubt Discord is her friend)

Discord is friends with all the mane 6 and spike and bigmac. 

Episodes:

"What About Discord?"

"Dungeons and Discords"

• 8 months later...

Discord and Twilight would work good for a single episode because that's just how Discord is best used. Starlight works better as a long time student because she's not just inherently evil, she's been abused by her friends and parents and as a result did bad things, now she needs to learn how to trust people and how to make friends without fear of being left behind.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As her student, he would have had more screentime. And a character like him would be very annoying to always have around. I love him, fantastic character, but even I can't imagine that's a good idea when he shows up as much as Starlight does in the show. I think they handled him nicely. He appears sometimes, it's very entertaining and fun with him and that's it. :)

• Brohoof 1