Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What lesson was Sunbutt planning to teach Sunset with the mirror?

ManaMinori

In "The Fall of Sunset Shimmer", Sunbutt says that there would be lessons about the mirror portal and other lessons in the future for Sunset Shimmer. If the humane5 weren't yet broken up because of Sunset going through the mirror, then what could've been the lesson Sunbutt might have been trying to teach while SS was still a pony?

• Brohoof 1

Unfortunately, Sunset never learnt those lessons as she ended up choosing to take matters into her own hooves by reading about the mirror worked through those forbidden books. I have a feeling Celestia was planning on telling her about how it could be used to travel to other worlds but held back because Sunset had desires to rule with an iron hoof.

• Brohoof 1

Unfortunately, Sunset never learnt those lessons as she ended up choosing to take matters into her own hooves by reading about the mirror worked through those forbidden books. I have a feeling Celestia was planning on telling her about how it could be used to travel to other worlds but held back because Sunset had desires to rule with an iron hoof.

I know, but I still wonder what those lessons could've been. In the movie, Sunbutt has limited knowledge of the human world, and by the end of the movie, Prinipal Celestia teaches Twilight instead what it means to be a princess. Could that have been Shimmys original lesson that Sunbutt had planned in the miror world, until SS mucked up her chance with Sunbutt, thus no longer having future lessons as her pupil?
  • Brohoof 1

I know, but I still wonder what those lessons could've been. In the movie, Sunbutt has limited knowledge of the human world, and by the end of the movie, Prinipal Celestia teaches Twilight instead what it means to be a princess. Could that have been Shimmys original lesson that Sunbutt had planned in the miror world, until SS mucked up her chance with Sunbutt, thus no longer having future lessons as her pupil?

Remember that two mirrors existed that Star Swirl created. One was a prototype that would ultimately be used and destroyed during the Reflections story arc of the comic while the other one became the final version and served to banish the Sirens. Also, the latter mirror showed an image Sunset saw that changed her life for the worse and Celestia must have known what it was as she refused to teach Sunset until she was ready. Because the latter mirror was the one Sunset used, Celestia had no knowledge of what existed on the other side other than it was a different world from Equestria.

What is a Sunbutt? I am just wondering.

Is a fanon nickname given towards Celestia. Same as luna with "Moonbutt"  :P  because.... you know, sun and moon on their flanks  :orly:

Remember that two mirrors existed that Star Swirl created. One was a prototype that would ultimately be used and destroyed during the Reflections story arc of the comic while the other one became the final version and served to banish the Sirens. Also, the latter mirror showed an image Sunset saw that changed her life for the worse and Celestia must have known what it was as she refused to teach Sunset until she was ready. Because the latter mirror was the one Sunset used, Celestia had no knowledge of what existed on the other side other than it was a different world from Equestria.

You know, on a side note, the significance hasn't been lost to me that there's a very high chance that the mane universe of Equestria and the human world are slowly colliding just like the mane universe was with the opposite world. I'm a little surprised Starswirl banished three Sirens to that world knowing full well the implications. To make matters worse, Sunset going to live in that world probably isn't helping, and there's sufficient proof in the third and fourth films that the walls between the two worlds are way too thin. While I think there's still a ways yet to go before the two worlds are set to collide, it's probably going to happen in a couple years at most in canon time, so perhaps it's time the mane six (or seven) of both universes and their respective Spikes start thinking about possible solutions.

As for what I think Celestia's lesson was going to be, I'm going to assume it had something to do with not messing around with things one doesn't know about, especially since the consequences could be dire. Interdimensional travel isn't something to mess with...unless you have a crush in another world, in which case it's alright. Ok, I doubt Celestia would disclose such hypocrisy, but definitely the other stuff.

• Brohoof 1

You know, on a side note, the significance hasn't been lost to me that there's a very high chance that the mane universe of Equestria and the human world are slowly colliding just like the mane universe was with the opposite world. I'm a little surprised Starswirl banished three Sirens to that world knowing full well the implications. To make matters worse, Sunset going to live in that world probably isn't helping, and there's sufficient proof in the third and fourth films that the walls between the two worlds are way too thin. While I think there's still a ways yet to go before the two worlds are set to collide, it's probably going to happen in a couple years at most in canon time, so perhaps it's time the mane six (or seven) of both universes and their respective Spikes start thinking about possible solutions.

As for what I think Celestia's lesson was going to be, I'm going to assume it had something to do with not messing around with things one doesn't know about, especially since the consequences could be dire. Interdimensional travel isn't something to mess with...unless you have a crush in another world, in which case it's alright. Ok, I doubt Celestia would disclose such hypocrisy, but definitely the other stuff.

A reasonable conclusion. Though it is a bit odd that she'd present a portal on the off chance someone may abuse it. Wait..someone did :P

But I'd agree the lesson might lean towards that indeed.

• Brohoof 1

@

A very good theory and one that I wouldn't be surprised at if it were to happen. The two worlds colliding would make for an interesting story that references generation one by having humans and ponies interacting with one another, and both Sunset and Twilight would have to make some difficult decisions that could change things forever. Now, considering the crack that we saw with the portal and magic now seeping forth into the human world without any kind of restraint on it, the issue would need to be dealt with sooner rather than later.

Edited by Ganondorf8
  • Brohoof 1

@

A very good theory and one that I wouldn't be surprised at if it were to happen. The two worlds colliding would make for an interesting story that references generation one by having humans and ponies interacting with one another, and both Sunset and Twilight would have to make some difficult decisions that could change things forever. Now, considering the crack that we saw with the portal and magic now seeping forth into the human world without any kind of restraint on it, the issue would need to be dealt with sooner rather than later.

I hope it ends like Reflections in the IdW comic. Sunset having to leave those who she loves, and smashing the mirror.
  • Brohoof 1

@

A very good theory and one that I wouldn't be surprised at if it were to happen. The two worlds colliding would make for an interesting story that references generation one by having humans and ponies interacting with one another, and both Sunset and Twilight would have to make some difficult decisions that could change things forever. Now, considering the crack that we saw with the portal and magic now seeping forth into the human world without any kind of restraint on it, the issue would need to be dealt with sooner rather than later.

Uh...yeah, that is definitely a red flag. Even if we consider the importance of the pony/person visiting another world, where Celestia traveling to a different realm could cause more damage at a faster rate than somepony like Sunset doing the same, who in turn could do more damage than three random sirens, the amount of time a traveler spends in the other realm and what he or she brings into that world such as Equestrian magic are also significant factors to consider, not to mention the quantity of travelers. It has actually been a while since I've read the Reflections arc. Are both worlds pretty much dead if they collide?

The reason why I think the collision is imminent, but not exactly due tomorrow is that for the "opposites" in the opposite world to be so striking there had to be significant similarities as well between the versions of each pony while in EQG not everyone is in as similar a time or place to their pony counterparts...yet. Also, it's highly possible that Starlight has stepped into a position originally meant to be filled by Sunset in the mane universe, indicating that each world might have built in redundancies to help restore equilibrium in case their balance has been thrown off. However, the fact remains that it's highly probable that two worlds are colliding and it may not be a matter of if, but when.

• Brohoof 1

Uh...yeah, that is definitely a red flag. Even if we consider the importance of the pony/person visiting another world, where Celestia traveling to a different realm could cause more damage at a faster rate than somepony like Sunset doing the same, who in turn could do more damage than three random sirens, the amount of time a traveler spends in the other realm and what he or she brings into that world such as Equestrian magic are also significant factors to consider, not to mention the quantity of travelers. It has actually been a while since I've read the Reflections arc. Are both worlds pretty much dead if they collide?

The reason why I think the collision is imminent, but not exactly due tomorrow is that for the "opposites" in the opposite world to be so striking there had to be significant similarities as well between the versions of each pony while in EQG not everyone is in as similar a time or place to their pony counterparts...yet. Also, it's highly possible that Starlight has stepped into a position originally meant to be filled by Sunset in the mane universe, indicating that each world might have built in redundancies to help restore equilibrium in case their balance has been thrown off. However, the fact remains that it's highly probable that two worlds are colliding and it may not be a matter of if, but when.

I think that was the implication in Reflections regarding the two worlds. If both were to collide with one another, each would be destroyed as a result. The "other" world still exists but no longer has a connection with Equestria, and probably will never have it again barring an incredible miracle. Both Celestia and the other Sombra were heartbroken over the fact that their respective worlds were torn from one another, but there was no other choice but to shatter the mirror and keep them from colliding. Were the human world to suffer a similar fate, Sunset would be forced to make a decision no one should ever have to make.

​The crack could very well be a sign that a collision of worlds will eventually happen.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/16/2017 at 2:51 AM, Ganondorf8 said:

I think that was the implication in Reflections regarding the two worlds. If both were to collide with one another, each would be destroyed as a result. The "other" world still exists but no longer has a connection with Equestria, and probably will never have it again barring an incredible miracle. Both Celestia and the other Sombra were heartbroken over the fact that their respective worlds were torn from one another, but there was no other choice but to shatter the mirror and keep them from colliding. Were the human world to suffer a similar fate, Sunset would be forced to make a decision no one should ever have to make.

The crack could very well be a sign that a collision of worlds will eventually happen.

The final episode of MLP should be that those two worlds collide, thus ceasing to exist, leaving our world/universe as a result!

14 hours ago, Darthy Hooves said:

The final episode of MLP should be that those two worlds collide, thus ceasing to exist, leaving our world/universe as a result!

That would make for an interesting piece of fanfiction or quite possibly an alternate ending.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/12/2017 at 5:37 PM, Nightmare Muffin said:

In "The Fall of Sunset Shimmer", Sunbutt says that there would be lessons about the mirror portal and other lessons in the future for Sunset Shimmer. If the humane5 weren't yet broken up because of Sunset going through the mirror, then what could've been the lesson Sunbutt might have been trying to teach while SS was still a pony?

I like to think one test was the Mirror of Erised test. A lesson of accepting a future that will come in time and not be forced. 

Yay I made a Star Wars reference and a Harry Potter reference regarding Sunset and Celestia. Next thread I'll try for Doctor Who!