Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general questions What's the best way to personalize my profile page?

Traitorous Pony

Hmm.. Well it all depends on how you want it to look like. :-P

I have some small simple tips, but nothing great I believe. Anyway, perhaps you'll find something useful, so here it goes!

Profile InformationYour own tiny corner. Putting fancy, easily readable and interesting information usually looks better than a plain wall of text, but it really depends on how you want it to look like.

Tips

• If you have many things to share, like interests, hobbies, real-life information and other things, then it's a good idea to divide it into sections to avoid that plain wall of text mentioned above.
  • A good idea could be using some BBCode formatting, such as colors to for example, highlight few words like section names mentioned above. (read more about using editor to format text)
  • Putting some images can make the profile look better if used well. For example, putting images as section names or just to make the profile more unique.
  • It's worth to keep in mind, that you're limited to 10 offsite-images. Putting more will result in showing them as a link instead.
  • You can bypass the limit of images by using attachments , that you have uploaded already or by uploading more, preferably in the Testing Forum. (read more about uploading images and attachments)

Profile BackgroundA pretty background image of your profile page. It either can be a full image, such as photo or a tile (pattern).

>>> Full Image
A single image, that is drawn in the upper-right corner with the background color beyond the image's borders.

sig-4832283.jwwEOpx.png

• The image preferably should have the size of 1920x1080 as it's the highest common resolution.
  • If the image will have smaller dimensions, than the resolution, it will not cover the whole page, thus may look bad like in the image above.

Tips

• Using images with transparent background, such as vectors can work well with the background color, which may prevent from getting a bad result.
  • It's best to put most of the details on the left side, because users with lower resolutions may not see the right side of the image, due to being out of view.

Trivia

• TV's can have even higher resolution, than monitors usually have, so there is still that possibility, that some members will see the image not covering the whole page. However, using higher resolution than 1920x1080 is rather rare and most of the games and some software weren't designed to handle such resolutions anyway, so it's better to focus on monitor-users.
  • When using images covering the whole screen, the background color may be still visible for a short time before the image will load.
  • When the image will be 1920x1080, then sometimes you will not even see the very bottom part of the image, because some vertical space may be taken by Windows task bar and the browser's interface. Enabling fullscreen mode in the browser will reveal the whole image.

>>> Tiles
An image (pattern), that covers the whole page. The image is not stretched, but multiplied.

sig-4832283.2F6IHl1.png

• The image should be nicely stacking (think of textures or bricks, for a more specific example), otherwise, it will look just bad.
  • The image can be any size. A tiny one will work as well as bigger ones as long as their borders will be matching.

Tips

• none at the moment.

Trivia

• Tiles will look good in any resolution, for any user, as the image will be just multiplied.
  • The background color is pretty much irrelevant when using tiles, unless they have transparency, though tiles usually don't have any transparent parts.

sig-4832283.y6mwHTs.png Read more about profile backgrounds

Hope that somehow helps! :)

sig-4832283.WtvmtpT.png

By the way, my post just broke.

sig-4832283.nTh2BRa.png

Thankfully, I managed to recover the previous, working version.

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 3

If you'd like to view some examples, then a good idea would be visiting other members' profiles. It may be hard to find the one you'd like, but it's always worth to see how others are using it.

You can get some random users in the Community Index (Main Page).

There are ponies at the top:

xfbPfxq.png

And there are ponies at the bottom:

0NFW4WU.png

Usually making a nice profile page takes a long time, so be patient and feel free to add more content over time making it more perfect.  ;)

Okay, I'll stop.  :-P

Glad could help!  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Take a look at my profile for a couple ideas, I've added various images and even made up some custom headers for each section of my profile. I've not really changed much of it as of late but people seem to like it when they visit(though I might update it /change it around sometime).

Colour, visual interest and organized content are generally things that make a profile interesting to view. To me it's better than just having a page full of images and not really explaining much of anything.  Example: I've sectioned mine off with headers, consisting of my personal interests, general MLP related sections and I've even dedicated  a section to my favourite pony. It's your profile, feel free to do as you wish with it, make it yours. :squee:

Also, some things to consider, font type (Comic-Sans isn't always the best option), font colour, font sizing. font accents (italics, bold, underlining) As well as indexing and spacing of paragraphs or lists.

Also, with the new update to the forums, you've now got the option to add a nice profile banner/cover photo to go along with your profile.