Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone here ever take a gap year before starting college

LunarShadow

I took a year off from college after having attended for nine straight years though it proved to be problematic. While I appreciated having the time off, it was because I had to go through a lot of red tape because of changing institutions not to mention moving up from college to university.

Edited by Ganondorf8

• 1 year later...

I didn't. I went to a junior college after graduating high school, then transferred to a university. I'm glad I didn't take a year off in between. I think it would have made things harder for me.

• Brohoof 1

I was initially going to take a gap year, but then I decided against going to college entirely. I applied to UT and actually qualified for a program where I could go to the San Antonio campus for a year and then get transferred to Austin (probably would have been straight-up accepted to UT if I hadn't fiddle-farted with it, though. Like that matters to me now.). 

I took a gap year, but not willingly. I went to something called the International Baccalaureate, ended up with too few points in drama, and had to wait an entire year until I was allowed to resubmit my final paper for drama class. It was a miserable year, all told, although not quite as bad as actually going to college turned out to be.

Make your own choices, kids, don't let your parents decide your schools for you.

I graduated high school when I was 19, I'm currently 27 and STILL have not gone to college or any further studies.  Mostly because of mental health reasons, I would love to go to some sort of higher learning school.  Unfortunately, I also can't afford to move out of where I live currently to get closer to an area that I can actually go to school.  I'll be honest with you, I sometimes feel like I'm worthless because I haven't furthered my education, I feel worthless because I feel as though I'm not properly contributing to society.  I would love to become a therapist, I would love to be able to help people in that way.  There's no shame in taking a break between high school and college, regardless of how old you are before ending up in college or a trade school.  If you feel like you're wasting your time, volunteer somewhere!  It looks great on your resume and it also makes it look like you weren't "wasting" your time while taking a break from studies.  I'm sure there're plenty of places looking for help near you, you just have to look for them.

Also, sometimes people tend to regret going to school again so soon, they might end up hating what they were studying for or the career they've chosen just doesn't have many places to work for.  So jumping immediately into something at such a young age might not be the best idea.  Take a break, find out what you like to do and try to plan it out during your break.  There.  Is.  No.  Shame.  In.  Taking.  A Break.

I'm just about finishing a year break from my dropout (took a year off after senor year, went then dropped out) Though I'm going back next fall, I feel it wasn't a bad decision at least. Getting a bit older has helped keep my ADD in check to make college a bit easier.

I actually did do what you call a gap year. I graduated in 2016 and took the entirety of 2017 off to think about what I wanted to do. Went back to school in the beginning of 2018 and have been there for 11 months so far.

• 1 year later...

I did take a year off between just due to burn out from highschool and 18 years of school alone.  I just worked two jobs and just let loose for year knowing I would not have a chance to down the line of life.   I also think its a good time to think also what you really plan to do in collage given the money that is going to be spent for it. 

• Brohoof 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't think that's a good idea to just cut your brain from studies for a whole year and then come back, it's very difficult to start again after you "quit" one year, trust me, I stopped studies to work for a year and going back to studies was like a HUGE SLAP right in my brain

• Brohoof 1

Pretending I have any say what I do in my life haha yeah right. No I didn't even know what I wanted to do after high school, so whatever I went to university finishing a degree then realized I actually don't know what I want to do for a living. So now I'm pretty much just going with the flow my bros.

Not before, but during college. I had taken a gap year because my GPA was so low they have me suspended for a year. Not fun. 

• 2 years later...

I did and yeah, I was basically doing nothing for a year, but honestly, it worked out for me. It let me clear my head and make a fresh start.  I don't know why so many people make it sound like taking a gap year is the worst thing you could possibly do.