Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Gallery of Goodwill [Summer of Generosity!]

Yellow Diamond

A true, true friend helps a friend in need
A friend will be there to help them see
A true, true friend helps a friend in need
To see the light that shines from a true, true friend

There’s a pretty good chance that you know someone who is going through a difficult time in their life. Perhaps they’ve lost their job, had a family member pass away, or are generally feeling blue. You’d like to help, but it isn’t always easy to gauge what exactly you can do for them.

That’s why I’m happy to announce the opening of the Gallery of Goodwill. This project, devised and managed by skysweep, provides an opportunity to put the spirit of generosity into action. The concept is simple: donations are submitted into a fund created by skysweep which allows people to request artwork to be made for someone they know who could use a pick-me-up. Those making the requests don’t need to spend a dime of their own money. This means you can spread some much needed cheer simply by putting in a request.

Thanks to skysweep’s efforts and the abundance of talent in our community, several of our own artists who sell commissions here on MLP Forums have agreed to help out. They’ll be compensated for their work through the fund. We’re eager to have more artists come aboard; so drop skysweep and I a PM if you’re interested.

If you’re interested in participating in the Gallery of Goodwill, you’re welcome to poke your head into the official event thread found here. You can submit donations, requests, and post any questions you may have. I should add that those who donate may receive handmade goodies from skysweep. Keep your eyes peeled!

The Gallery of Goodwill, like all good things, won’t last forever, though. The project is slated to end on June 14 or when the fund is depleted -- whichever comes first. If you want to brighten someone’s day with a piece of excellent fan art, you should get in on this as soon as you can.

In the end, this community has proven to be incredibly charitable and loving. Whether it’s through Making Christmas Merrier or simply posting about ponies, your big-heartedness knows no boundaries or (quite literally) borders. I know that desire to give to others continues to burn strong within each of you. By joining the Gallery of Goodwill, you’ll help make an enormous difference in someone’s life -- no reality-bending magic required. ^_^

Main_cast_and_Starlight_group_hug_S5E26.png

• Brohoof 16

This is an initiative that I can get behind. I can attest to how helpful a small kindness can be during a hardship, they help you feel connected to something beyond your personal difficulty. What a great way to help someone get or keep the momentum to keep taking another step, and remember someone is pulling for you.

Applause to skysweep and all the artists who are volunteering.

Yellow Diamond ... question for ya. Will you or another Admin be updating the fund pool amount regularly so people know if it is running low (and can perhaps donate to top it up)?

• Brohoof 2

Yellow Diamond ... question for ya. Will you or another Admin be updating the fund pool amount regularly so people know if it is running low (and can perhaps donate to top it up)?

Right. So this is an interesting quirk: unlike most charity drives, the hope is actually to drain the fund gradually rather than reach a target amount. Given the way IP Board works, a "goal" has to be set on the donation tracker for it to appear publicly -- hence why $1,500 is the "goal" for the moment. The plan is to eventually alter the "goal" so that it accurately matches the total amount left in the fund. For example, if we had $655 in total donations, the "goal" would match that amount. Just don't mistaken it for the fund having reached an upward limit, because there is none. :)

I'm the one in charge of managing the technical end of things, including the donation totals. I'll be vigilant in updating the tracker and occasionally posting reminders/updates about the drive. Skysweep is the driving force behind this project, though, so people shouldn't wait for updates exclusively from me before deciding whether or not to participate.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 months later...

Due to the tremendous generosity of donors and our artists' input, the GoG is being extended throughout the summer! If you haven't already checked out the gallery, I encourage you to do so. Check it out here: https://mlpforums.com/topic/163807-gallery-of-goodwill/

Keep an eye out for special announcements coming down the road. We have more than a few surprises in store. ;)

• Brohoof 2

25 minutes ago, Yellow Diamond said:

Keep an eye out for special announcements coming down the road. We have more than a few surprises in store

I'll have to get me some of that Future Vision yo!

garnetheard.png

I'm glad to see that this was extended. :D

• Brohoof 3

• 1 month later...

I see that the long-awaited 100% power GoG banner is finally up! I'm so happy that all the hard work is on display for everyone to see. Keep on truckin', everypony!

• Brohoof 4