Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you guys think about dream?

TBD

I'm wonder what do your guys think about dream? Do you think it just a figment of our imagination or some sort of vision giving you signs or whatnot? 

Here is what psychologists theories  think of dreams:

Dream are practices response to threaten situation. When we dream our amygdala activation is much higher than when we are awake. Meaning when we dream about a situation it might help us be prepared for the real life situations.  

Dream create wisdom: meaning dream is just a reminder of an events or things we remembered.

Dreaming is like a flash drive. Which means that when we dream, our dream determine which part of facts, events, ects are important for us to keep or discharge.  In order word organizing our way of thinking.

Dreams are like psychotherapy: meaning  putting our difficult emotion into images. 

Last is Dreaming could be nothing at all and there is no conscious sense.

As for those who lean more to philosophy or religious side. they believes  that dreams gives us signs or version about our real world.

In a philosophy sense, the unconscious realm is not the same as the dream. Since while you're in unconscious state while sleeping, all your senses are still there. While in dream, only one of the  our sensory is on. Like either smell, taste, or feels.  Some people think while sleeping they would have version or images that lead them back in their past life. in other bring up back memories of their past life. or version of meeting someone who die and having conversion of them.

The reason why religious or philosopher thinks dreams are version or signs because of beliefs or because one dream of the same event more than once. 

So this is not a debut but just a general discussion on what do you think about dream?  and if you have some experiences feel free to share.  This is not about science vs. religion/philosophy, it about your opinions what you think about it.

Edited by TBD

I just see dreams as a random story mashed with memories & thoughts. Favourites and fears you have, events you've witnessed or heard about. List goes on. I don't usually see them as a thing for defining one's personality and what not. It's just one side of your brain which is unconscious being freaked out by the one that's conscious - doing all the memory organising and what not (during REM sleep) so it quickly makes up a random thought and "plays" it.

The sides might be swapped over, I don't remember which plays the dream part. I'm sure it's the unconscious side.

(edited)

The sides might be swapped over, I don't remember which plays the dream part. I'm sure it's the unconscious side.

From want I learned is yeh at first I thought dream is just the same as unconscious state. But then my professor explained it to me that dream state and unconscious state are different. Dream would only allow you to have one sensory on while the others is shut off. and while being in unconscious state all your sensory is on. so you could still smell, feel, hear ects. but you're  still not awake while being in that state.

it kinda of a mash up if you ask me.

Edited by TBD

To me, dreams are many things, depending on what you get. Sometimes they're just random firings of brain cells that produce images. Others are the output of a complex thinking machine that is at rest and free to flow unencumbered by conscious thought and distractions of outside stimuli. 

But there are times that dreams carry something far deeper, and can't be explained by either of the above situations. They're the ones that bring insights, premonitions and divine inspiration. These are my favorites because I am religious and I know they could never come from me alone.  :twi:

It's mostly our brain preparing us for situations that might occur later on, and the situations that it creates, from my personal experience, are mostly things that I've thought about. They also depend on my mood, for example, I have insomnia, I have a trouble going to sleep, to a point where it becomes so forced and unpleasant that I just end up falling asleep in such a bad mood that it's been triggering a lot of bad dreams whereas beforehand I didn't have much problem with them, they were, you know, chill. So yeah, just some random things that depend on how our brain feels like. 

a dream could be a lot of things from memory's to thoughts and feelings it could also be your imagination acting up on its own or a transmission from another you in a parallel universe seeing as how I often think differently in a dream than in real life and sometimes do things I wouldn't do for reasons that make no sense to me here it is likely that some dreams are powerful memories or thoughts from many parallel yous across space ,time and reality all connected being different shades of the same individual

Well I always think of my dreams as coming together to form a story of me. Like I did incredible things in them and even brought MLP to a reality. I'm even trying to go in the direction of my dreams and I've had several occasions where dreams have come true and had actually happened in real life and I find it amazing of how that happens. But I think of my dreams as me connecting to the universal control system and seeing my future plus I've also been in dream servers before with other people like I was in a dream with Loren Foust once. :)

• Brohoof 1

In my experience dreams can be any combination of a lot of different things. That said, I've heard the theory that REM dreams may not be anything at all, or that imagery is projected onto them upon waking, and as a lucid dreamer I find this nonsensical. Just my opinion. :confused:

I've found the most random or meaningless things don't happen during REM dreams but during hypnagogia or partial sleep. The other day I was about to take a nap, and I heard someone say "excuse me." There was no one there, obviously, but I almost turned around and screamed "WHAT?" I think it's safe to say there was nothing deep about that incident, just nonsense.

However, when it comes to REM dreams, I usually buy more into the Jungian approach. I am convinced that dreams are manifestations of the subconscious, including emotions that the dreamer has not worked out while awake. I've received spiritual guidance in dreams as well.

But I think of my dreams as me connecting to the universal control system and seeing my future plus I've also been in dream servers before with other people like I was in a dream with Loren Foust once. :)

Weird. I've been having reoccurring dreams that I can only describe as a massive astral-based FPS game.  :blink: 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

My dreams either have no meaning whatsoever or are connected to whatever's happening in real life. Yesterday I realized my bike tires had gotten a little flat, and last night I dreamt they were entirely flat. It was strange.

• 8 months later...