Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general College/School subjects you HATE

CosmicHooves

Chemistry. I know it's frowned upon to blame the teacher, but I'm gonna do it anyway. My chemistry teacher was a first-year teacher who just didn't know what he was doing. He was so disorganized and confused all the time and I think he struggled with the subject matter as well. I'm pretty sure he had originally planned to teach a class with easier material.

He always gave us the wrong formula sheets and stuff, so we never knew what to do come quiz or test time. :/ His motto was "My bad".

I've also never enjoyed the material covered in math that much, but fortunately I haven't had a bad math teacher since middle school (back when math was easy :P). So I don't "hate" my math classes.

Edited by SparklingSwirls

Physical Education (Gym Class/Gym), sure exercises and keep fit but so many bad points, changing rooms (Had my tie stoling twice) changing with other people in same room, wearing shorts (wearing them until finally wear long tracksuit), get pick last, be put in the team where fellow students complan I on their team, blame for teams loss, PE is what I can think subject I hate and had bad experience with it include my short/tracksuit pull down. Don't like doing gymnastics but love female gymnasts.

Math, its advanced levels in particular. Most teachers I had tended to explain yesterday's work in class, then assign new stuff for homework. As a result, I never had any clue what I was doing.

Plus, any subject where you get 19 of 20 parts of a question right and still fail is not my kind of thing.

French actually, mostly because of the high levels of stress our teachers would put on us. Tests all the time, and they never would make sure they've had us study all of the things in exams, and we had no way to study as we weren't aloud to take our books home in which we keep all of our notes... Actually still in it and I have an incomplete test I have to finish, as I was too confused and sick to complete it.

Not to mention P.E, mostly because I'm not athletic nor have I ever enjoyed sports. Our P.E teachers most definitely have favourites, because they seem to be the only ones who get good grades, as it's more of some sports and popularity test than actually teaching us how to do the stuff. Not to mention they never read our files, some kids with certain disabilities were forced to do things they were unable to do, and still received bad grades for it as well. :/

Argh I hate the education system sometimes.

anything to do with numbers. just cant do it. So Maths and Sciences. Im a creative literacy mind. I love art, english and history.

oh wait... the worst subject is Geography... ICK! 

If I could never take another English class in my life, I would gladly refrain from doing so. Not that I'm bad at it, I've just never had a great English teacher and I can't stand essays. Unfortunately I'm a college freshman so I've got years of essays ahead of me in other classes.

Hm. There aren't subjects I hated as much as topics within whole courses. CS 352 was a pain at times, but I appreciated it dramatically after I took it. The class that pissed me off the most was Computer Language Engineering ... otherwise known as Compilers. It was a upper level class that devestated half of those taking it. It is apparently not required in most Computer Science programs these days.

Discreet and MV Calc also had a few elements that I hated. Not for rigor, but because they were simply annoying.

For most subjects I didn't enjoy, I didn't really dislike the subject itself but rather the fact that I was pretty much forced to learn or do certain stuff I thought was difficult. I hated to study and do homework like learning all countries in Africa and their capitals in just a week. Now afterwards when I don't go to school anymore I sometimes find myself reading about stuff like this in my free time because I like to learn, but the difference is that I actually enjoy doing it this time since there's no one telling me what I have to do and there's no deadline.

That said, I hate religion.

History. I had absolutely no interest in it. There were very few things in history I cared about. I ended up drawing the most in history classes XD

I used to not like English in high school, but now I'm taking English 101 online for college and it is a lot of work but I honestly don't really mind it. 

I really hate Math a lot.  I failed my Trigonometry Regents with like a 38 or something, I didn't even finish it because I just literally had no idea what to do for some of the questions.

I hated the experience of taking Art History.

I like actual Art History. The biggest problem I had in that class was that I'd end up on unhelpful tangents. Certain material had to be memorized (that's all the class was), and I was much happier just reading the book. It helped me appreciate the giants upon whom's shoulders we stand. But the class? No, I hated taking it.

i hate math fuck math it's so disgustingly hard and irrelevant. only basic math is really used in everyday situations. algebra does not need to exist

That's actually very debatable, because you need good algebraic knowledge to get into almost any decent-paying job. There are plenty of fundamental ideas such as the Pythagorean Theorem, polynomials, and simple graphing. It would really suck if your boss finds out you can't do anything beyond multiplying and dividing. Good thing algebra's mandatory for graduating!

Calculus is a bit more understandable, but it servers to be very important in certain majors in a lot more ways than you think, not just STEM. When I took Calculus BC back in high school it wasn't too bad, though multi-variable calculus was a big wake-up call for me. I'm currently trying to major in Physics and Psychology, so honestly I've never had a serious issue with math or science.

Political Science was pretty boring for me, though. I'm pretty politically involved but that class hasn't taught me much at all and usually ends up being an echo chamber of political opinion.

Edited by Anneal
  • Brohoof 1

While I'm not surprised at all the hate directed at math I am surprised at those saying it's useless. While every subject is important I'd say math is the most important subject. It's an invaluable skill to know as it's applicable to so much, including most jobs on the contrary of what someone else said. More importantly it teaches you how to think, and in today's world we seem to be losing more and more of that. 

I will say I used to dislike math until I got to calculus. Once I got to calculus and above the math became so much more applicable to life and more enjoyable to learn even if more difficult. To me it sort of gave reasoning as to why people need to learn math because it taught me how to think analytically. But to each their own. 

Class/subject I enjoyed the least would have to be the second college writing course (most universities in the US make you take 2 semesters of writing courses). It was awful, I had never written so much in my life and I hope not to ever again. While it's useful to know how to write academic papers (really it's learning how to write professionally that counts here) it was a lot of work about books or subjects I cared little about. Such is life though. 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

UI design was very difficult and aggravating. For each project, you had to build something functional that also looked good, then write a report preaching to the professor about how your UI was built based on each of the design principles of the book "Dont Make Me Think" by Jennifer Tidwell.

Imagine writing a report trying to explain how your slide out menu demonstrates the principle of least surprise or some crap like that. You were basically grovelling with the professor for marks and I bloody hated it. It also doesn't help that many of the principles are just rewordings of previous ones, so when you were writing the report, you sometimes had to argue that one element demonstrated two of them because they're so closely related. Then sometimes, your UI was so intuitive and simple that you didn't have enough points to talk about in the report.

"Don't Make Me Think" is now my designated flyswatter book.

Edited by Celtore

Not the biggest fan of Math. All other classes are pretty nice. Yes, Math just isn't my most favorite thing to do even if I'm a tech person.

• Brohoof 1

I actually have little gripe with the academic subjects, but... P.E. on the other hand... I couldn't stand P.E. The whole go and run around the track because that's somehow relevant at a f***ing school didn't really make any sense to me whatsoever. Everyone else was excited for P.E., but I couldn't stand it. Luckily I didn't have to take it after 8th grade because I used Band for my athletic credits instead of actual Athletics. Definitely a good decision on my part...

Edited by ~Dusky~