Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Nymira x Lorris - Elements EP

Nymira

It's here! After days and days of work. Me and Lorris are finally done. We present to you "Elements" an EP based on the 6 Elements of Harmony. Each track belongs to a different element. I really hope you guys like it. We put our heart and soul into this to make sure it was right. :) When you live in two different time zones, this becomes harder. I'm in NYC and Lorris is in France. Somebody is losing sleep. We both did in this case, Lorris lost much more sleep. :) sorry lol.

Enjoy, thanks!

Ok...

I must be honest with you. This is not a good EP. The electronic drive completely destroyed the possibilities this piece had. In order to be better, you must look beyond the electronic, explore new genres and learn an instrument or two.

Magic: You started by limiting yourself to the I and the IV knowing this piece is in the key of C Major. You then moved to a chord progression that repeated itself for the rest of the piece: I-IV-I-III7-I-ii-I(1st inversion)-V. Since you had the III7 in there, that's the V of the vi (which is a minor). With that, you could've done a vi-IV-I-V progression. There are many other possibilities. That bright plucked saw bassline could be swept in and out of a filter slowly. The melodic sawtooth lead needed much variance. It was mimicking the bassline. In terms of your percussion, it could seriously use some fills, change-ups and transitions.

Laughter: Again, you need to step out of the same progressions. This time, you had I-I-ii-v-I-I-ii-vi. You could use I-vi-ii-V-iii-vi-IV-V. For a softer and better build, I suggest starting with a warm pad then bringing everything else in. Your drop was very weak. A harsh bass sawtooth would've hit it home. Again, keeping the same idea and limiting yourself to it will not help the piece but hinder it.

Loyalty: Again, sounds too repetative. You could've sped up the pace for Rainbow, around 170bpm. Also, you need more sawtooths on this one to really give it that epic and loyalty give. Make sure they aren't too harsh though. Your chord progression was way to similar to the others. You need to work on developing solid chord progressions that you can twist and vary.

Generosity: The style does not match Rarity. You needed something more softer on th soil and r&b side of things. I see you used 9ths on those upper chime leads, but that wasn't enough. You also let your bassline lead, which put a damper on your piece because all you had to work with was the root of the chord. You could arpeggiate that bassline and add a soft warm pas playing the actual chords.

Honesty: This one needs the most work. You're missing the country flare for Applejack, which is being drowned out by that modern hip-hop beat you have. A solo violin would work here. You could also put a banjo arpeggiating the chords you're playing and pseakkkg of chords...you limited yourself to the tonic root of C Major for this one. You have to start developing your chords because this one was way too repetitive. Maybe refer to some of Applejack's songs. That could certainly help.

Kindness: Fluttershy and dubstep don't mix. If you wanted to stay with dubstep, chill-step would be your go-to. You really need to focus on your chord development and sounds. Calming polysyhths and soft piano would work with Fluttershy. The max you could go is adding a phat plucked lead for the pinnacle energy.

All in all, this EP needs a total overhaul and redo. I hate to say it but you really need to go back and learn techniques for creating effective music that matches your mood, theme and any characters involved. The quotes did not help and combined with the electronic drive, it made for a very cheesy piece. I know this is hard to read, but don't be discouraged. I'm always here to help and tutor you. Shoot me a pm at anytime and I'll be ready to coach and teach you all there is to know.