Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestrian City - Concept art Sketch Dump

Malcontent

So. Since I've been brave enough to post a few times I've decided to make a thread n.n 

All the concept art I've made and with notation I've had others make for me, will be here. Feel free to ask questions I love to explain my project! 

For information check out Equestrian City on dA and on the main website! We've got a small comic and will eventually have fanfiction in the form of episodes as well as a wiki that's slowly being brought to life!. Stay tuned n.n

First up we have Lightning Dust! Given enhanced reflexes and speed (yet not super speed) she also came away with the ability to discharge electrical powers if she can conduct them properly. Hence her metal tongue/ nightsticks. 

Thoughts? 

Spoiler

wp-1489705047419.jpg

Edited by Malcontent
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)
On 3/16/2017 at 9:21 PM, sin kai said:

nice character drawing ^^  :fluttershy:

Thank you! More to come n.n 

And today's bonus picture is a quick redesign of Impervia...aka..Applejack! 

She ended up getting super strength and some invulnerability. 

Spoiler

wp-1489715113413.jpg

Today's concept art is my homage to Mane-iac. As fun as she was I needed a connection between the villain and Rarity. 

So reasoning that Sassy wouldn't have entirely turned over a new leaf in this universe thanks to no full "happy moment" with Rarity is achieved (in part due to the fact she didn't have her friends support after the explosion, I did the following: 

Rarity is still generous so she keeps her on as part of the company in the Dermatology department. Eventually filled up with resentment that boils over by the feelings of neglect, Sassy decides to cut ties and steal several formulas in one of Raritys factories. 

She's caught midway by Sunset Shimmer. A conveniently loose railing leads to Sassy Falling into a chemical vat. :)

And thus..Mistress Mayhem is born. :)  

Spoiler

wp-1489799770826.jpg

Edited by Malcontent
  • Brohoof 3

Next up we have a concept art I had commissioned (I do that alot ;) I'm a writer, not an artist sadly) is Pinkamena! Everyone loves the psychologically frightening flip side of Pinkie Pie :D

This version however, is not Pinkie per say, but is. That is, both exist at the same time, and can indeed interact. It'll be clear once she makes her debut :)

Pinkamena was going to be a full Joker Archetype, but after I made Sassy into Mistress Mayhem, I realized I had a full tilt crazy already. So I decided to make her a different type of nuts. She's the same idea we see in Cupcakes: a complete sociopath! I had her decked out in a more leather biker outfit, with a bit of punk splashed in. She runs a nightclub that's a headquarters for her gang, reason being she dislikes the sound of silence.

and according to the moderators, I'm allowed to send a link, but not post the image here since I did not draw it, so here it is! :D

HERE

(edited)
On 3/20/2017 at 8:26 AM, Nagisa452 said:

Nice work! You did a fantastic job on these @Malcontent. I hope you will add more,because these are really good. I'm not good at drawing people or even close to that haha. I'm better at anything cartoon related. :P

Thank you I do try but I don't think I'm very good myaelf. I don't know how to color on a compooter  :( 

Today's concept art is a prototype meaning it's the first time I've worked on the design for..Lyra ! 

I envision her being the more Hawkeye archetype. She and bombs bon will no doubt be working for a supernatural Bureau of some sort I just need an acronym... but here she is! 

Spoiler

wp-1490056308264.jpg

Edited by Malcontent
  • Brohoof 2

These are pretty good, you should take to the next step, start inkin' them :D

Alas I don't have the ability to do that. No supplies or no scanner :( but..maybe I can find help x.x 

• Brohoof 1

@@Malcontent I use to not be very good either lol all it takes is time. i saved up to get the supplies i needed. i started small and worked my way up to some of the supplies i own. As for your latest artwork. I love it! Keep up the great work and continue to improve your skills!  :-P

• Brohoof 1

@@Malcontent its easy. think about the supplies that you already have on hand like paper and pencils. If you enjoy coloring using colored pencils? get a nice set that has a lot of colors especially ones with pastel colors so you can have a wide range of color options. Copic markers are very expensive, but great for comic drawing or anime/manga. I have a few because I used to do some manga artwork before I became a brony- and got a computer working lol. but you also would need a certain type of paper to use those copic markers on because they bleed through very easily. So mainly think about the kind of medium you like to use for your artwork and start from there and maybe research some items that most small time artists would use. I hope this helps a little bit. lol :squee:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
On 3/22/2017 at 11:12 AM, Nagisa452 said:

@@Malcontent its easy. think about the supplies that you already have on hand like paper and pencils. If you enjoy coloring using colored pencils? get a nice set that has a lot of colors especially ones with pastel colors so you can have a wide range of color options. Copic markers are very expensive, but great for comic drawing or anime/manga. I have a few because I used to do some manga artwork before I became a brony- and got a computer working lol. but you also would need a certain type of paper to use those copic markers on because they bleed through very easily. So mainly think about the kind of medium you like to use for your artwork and start from there and maybe research some items that most small time artists would use. I hope this helps a little bit. lol :squee:

Thanks for the heads up I use colored pencils sometimes but I mean, the only real artwork that seems to get looked at anywhere is the cell shaded or soft shaded computer artwork..and I can't afford a tablet or even can draw without the paper in front of me. I'm told I'd require a touch screen monitor :/

then the software like flash is like 600 bucks. I just can't afford that. :/

Though thanks alot for the advice!

and this is why I tend to pay people for art and I just envision my images and write. I spent hours doing this and it took forever and it looks absolutely awful :/

Spoiler

297f18a5e3c22ef9a57c0fe80ba59aad-db37yoi

Edited by Malcontent
  • Brohoof 2

Good stuff!

Fantastic to see progress :D

Your too kind :) Thanks :)

If I even have a shot at this I need to figure out a way to make this speedy or less tedious.. For the eyes I had to draw circles then erase what I didn't need. THat can't be right :/

• Brohoof 1

@@Malcontent you could try Ponyscape. It took me forever to find this art program but i think there is a link from on a youtube video I watched. It really helps with vectoring and making any artwork look like it was from the show. Its really cool and I dont even use my computer tablet to use the program. I just use the mouse. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
On 3/22/2017 at 11:22 PM, Nagisa452 said:

@@Malcontent you could try Ponyscape. It took me forever to find this art program but i think there is a link from on a youtube video I watched. It really helps with vectoring and making any artwork look like it was from the show. Its really cool and I dont even use my computer tablet to use the program. I just use the mouse. 

I'll have to look into it! :0

Ok today's concept art is also a first run I worked on. Meaning it's just awful. It's mainly to get the reference material out of my head. 

Bonbon or Agent Sweetie Drops (Oh we all saw this coming) is the top field agent for MIRROR's Equestrian City branch. What is MIRROR ? The working idea is Monster IRRadication ORgaization:) 

So here she is. Teamed with Lyra most of the time no doubt! 

Spoiler

wp-1490335686564.jpg

Hello again! 

Today's concept sketch is a quick reference I am making for applejack..aka Impervia! 

Originally inspired by ms. Marvel she took a few turns costume wise thanks to input from my first comic artist! 

Spoiler

wp-1490393968539.jpg

Edited by Malcontent

(edited)

So we have new boards so here's a test post..

Here's today's concept art of Trixie. The great and powerful! 

Not affected by the blast wave she desperately wants powers of her owso she goes and buys some! ;)

Spoiler

20170326_035853-1024x1365.jpg

Edited by Malcontent
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Today's concept is a sketch I did that make me chuckle when I imagined Rebecca saying it. Or wubcake for that matter. 

Sunset Shimmer displaying the fact that a brick wall isn't really a problem for her despite the criminals hopes. ;)

Spoiler

20170330_213247-1024x663.jpg

Edited by Malcontent
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Today's concept art is another lovely Sunset Shimmer pic. I was inspired by Rebecca Shoichet liking my last one. I thought well what would annoying Sunset during a thug fight? ;)

Spoiler

20170331_214945-1024x1365.jpg

Edited by Malcontent
  • Brohoof 2

On 3/31/2017 at 9:52 PM, Malcontent said:

Today's concept art is another lovely Sunset Shimmer pic. I was inspired by Rebecca Shoichet liking my last one. I thought well what would annoying Sunset during a thug fight? ;)

20170331_214945-1024x1365.jpg

I really like the overall image of this one! Very well done! 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Today's concept art is Professor Midnight aka Twilight Sparkle! 

What happened you may ask? Well since the explosion happens before the friendship games, Twilight fails to learn the lesson of friendship, and goes on to Everton. Changing her major to Magical Theory she becomes obsessed with understanding magic. 

This catches the attention of the Sombra Empire who offers her a scholarship in their country. She graduates and becomes a leading researcher on magical application for military advancements! 

No longer bound by ethical or morale issues having grown up and studied in isolation, she has no restraint on how she acquires knowledge or whom she hurts doing it. 

I actually am looking forward to using her in the series n.n 

Spoiler

20170404_193555-1024x1365.jpg

Edited by Malcontent
  • Brohoof 1