Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

web Anyone else prefer forums to social media?

zerox

I have never once even touched any form of social media. Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Snapchat, Instagram, (back in the day) Myspace.... all cancerous atrocities. The only way I can have any modicum of respect for someone using social media, is if they NEED to use it for work.

Edited by ChocolateCrane
  • Brohoof 1

I also prefer forums although I can't really explain why. Maybe because forums actually have a lot of stuff to talk about and they're usually a bit more anonymous than Facebook for example (I dislike using my real name on the internet)? I still use Tumblr quite a lot but forums are more enjoyable either way.

It honestly depends. I prefer to use social media for sharing art, but am not around enough to have full conversations. Therefore, I like forums more when it comes to "online hangouts". Ideally, though, I prefer conversing through chat apps since it's easier to keep track of. As far as my personal social media accounts are concerned, I really only spend time on my professional profile for job and networking purposes. If I need to get a hold of a friend or family member, I text or call them. I don't like all of the new Facebook updates.

Also, @zerox, just letting you know that I moved your thread to Media Discussion since you're discussing forums and social media. Thanks! :)

• Brohoof 1

Forums are much better in my opinion I don't like social media too many pictures and not enough talking or friend making unlike here where I'm talking to friends rather than strangers

• Brohoof 1

im not really much of a social media user in the first place, the forums in is a great place to meet new people and create awesome friendships but sooner or later i will move the conversation to something like skype because large general communication is just easier elsewere than using the PM system :P

Well, in most social media cases, i just end up being completely bored and everything i post or talk about, feels completely empty and pointless.

I kinda get the same feeling for Forums, but at least here you can get a rank for how many posts you made, so at least you post for something, there is a goal, there is a meaning behind it.

Its still completely empty and pointless, since numbers doesnt mean anything, but at least i got something.

I can proove that i did something, despite how useless it might be.

I feel like forums are far more opinionated, and this may be in part due to peoples comfort  in anonymously discussing their opinions... although I am not really anonymous on forums... and people snuff out certain peoples opinions and give them added scrutiny... its a better place to discuss diverse opinions and discuss things you actually care about... social media is more of a measured popularity contest with people that get the luxury of having a personal inter tap to your personal business... a lot of people on social media have to feign being moderately interested in others to have the ability to read other peoples business like an open book... forums is like, just a public exchange of thoughts and opinions, and even in anonymity is a lot more genuine and less manufactured with "likes" "dislikes" less formulating opinions on what people believe, and more on what is coming to a public discussion.

• Brohoof 2

Well, I prefer forums, but I use that claim very loosely. As I normally use one forum at a time, plus it should be one where I get constant activity and stuff (so far, this one at the moment). I don't like social media, and stumbling upon research that they cause depression and anxiety, more so, as I had enough of both until a few months back. Have a twitter account, but I already forgot the pass, and I don't care. I was forced to make a facebook account, and ditched it not even a half day later. I've only used the latter for 4 years just because of this:

avengers-postcard-front-printRGB.jpg

Four years worth of Marvel heroes, and I couldn't have enough. Hell, the main reason I was looking forward to the movies was for in-game content (usually alt costumes that buffed 'em up greatly). Until it closed down in Oct 1st last year. Guess how many times I've gone to facebook afterwards :dash:. Oh well, at least we finished with a bang. Right Odin  :orly: ?

maxresdefault.jpg

I do like both a lot, but social media tends to get boring, whereas forums get new stuff constantly, so I'd say forums probably.

Definitely forums. I only joined FB cause my old forum hang out was shut down, and that's where everypony else moved too. It still wasn't the same. Instead of our small tight knit club, we had to deal with a bunch of strangers with only mild interests in what we were talking about. Now I only stay because I'm admin of an awards poll. I tend to avoid my feed, since it gets stupidly repetitive very quickly, and I get a lot of news and political discussion in it. Hell, the only reason I still keep my FB around is due to me using it to log into other sites. Twitter? Please. I only used it for like a week. Don't even remember the password. 

In a forum, you don't have to deal with a massive amount of passers by or casual fans. You get people who share at least a few of your interests, especially one dedicated to a topic, like ours. It isn't a gathering. It's a community. That's why I go to forums. 

Edited by Denim and Venom

I use both and don't have a bigger preference for any one. I've turned to social media to talk with real life friends and family, but more often than not any sort of rumor or news that's shared around social media tend not to be very reliable. Meanwhile the forums and other sites are better for sharing opinions or such.

Forums were my first social media actually. Later I joined Facebook and while Facebook has its uses, I personally find no real point 99% of the time to even be on the site. Same with Twiter. Forums actually give me proper discussions to look into, social media basically never does. Trying to have a proper discussion on a place like Facebook is opening the doors for disaster.

• Brohoof 1

I definitely prefer forums to social media. Admittedly I don't have a lot of experience with social media, and that's largely because I don't like it. I have dipped a toe into Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr, but to be honest I don't understand even one of them! I may be a complete ignoramus when it comes to computers and tech stuff, but I really don't understand how to post, tweet or update on these sites; they just don't seem intuitive to me.

I did manage to make a Facebook account a ways back but even so, I seldom log in because I don't like sharing my full name or personal information. 

Here on the forums, I can post, PM and just hang out casually. It doesn't seem hard to understand (and for me that's saying something!) So this is a clear choice for me. Forums all the way.  :D

I have had a FB account for a few years but I'm not that active on it since I have family members added so I'm afraid of posting something they won't approve of.  I use forums much more often since you can have better discussions with people and not have to worry about judging much since a lot of other members are interested in the topic so they will probably discuss with you.  I have never really liked social media and have tried to avoid it as much as possible since it requires you to be active on it too often but with forums you can just hop on and off whenever you want so there is not much of an investment required.

• 4 years later...

Forums are a form of social media, but I think the OP is referring to popular social medias like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Anyways, I prefer to use Discord and MLP Forums over Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.