Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would ponies feel if you touched their horn?

Barpy

it'd be something like a tooth, no nerves in it, just a solid mass. but they would feel pressure applied with their neck and stuff :/ like.. i dunno, apply pressure to your teeth, you wont feel the touch but you will feel the slight movement in your gum, be like that but on their neck (considering the horn is attached to the skull)

• Brohoof 5

it'd be something like a tooth, no nerves in it, just a solid mass. but they would feel pressure applied with their neck and stuff :/ like.. i dunno, apply pressure to your teeth, you wont feel the touch but you will feel the slight movement in your gum, be like that but on their neck (considering the horn is attached to the skull)

This exactly. If someone tugs my hair, I know it. The hair has no nerves or sensation of its own, but the surrounding areas (scalp) may feel the effect of it. 

But the actual horn itself would have no feeling of its own.  :twi:

• Brohoof 6

They wouldn't feel it at the point of contact because there is no nerves in the surface, rather they would feel in at the base because of the leverage the pressure would cause. 

Due to magic becoming heated eventually, shown in one episode where Celestias horn was burnt, I'd be a Matter of how old they are, as heat might make the horn numb eventually.

Unlike Earthly animals, I think their horns would be very sensitive. They seem to be of critical importance to magic, after all.

I'd say something but I'd probably be taken down.

Id say it depends on how much they use their horn, if alot then I'd most likely be numb after constant use.

• Brohoof 3

As was already said, I imagine it's be like a tooth or a fingernail, or a horn on any other animal. The horn itself is dead and won't feel anything, but there would be nerve endings around where it attaches to the skull, so a gentle pressure or sharp jolt might cause some feeling there.

• Brohoof 1

I'd say something but I'd probably be taken down.

Id say it depends on how much they use their horn, if alot then I'd most likely be numb after constant use.

I think I know what you were going to say. I'm thinking it too. Have a couple of pictures as well.

LOL!

Anyway, the horn is either the organ of magic, or a sort of antenna into a Unicorn's brain to transmit the magical impulses. Either way, it stands to reason it would be very sensitive.

I think I know what you were going to say. I'm thinking it too. Have a couple of pictures as well.

LOL!

Anyway, the horn is either the organ of magic, or a sort of antenna into a Unicorn's brain to transmit the magical impulses. Either way, it stands to reason it would be very sensitive.

I've read and seen Gore, where they kill a unicorn (rarity) and there is a gem, that controls the magic. I'd say that the horn is like antenna. But that's just in the fanfiction and stuff. But that's another possibility than the one I previously mentioned.
  • Brohoof 1

As was already said, I imagine it's be like a tooth or a fingernail, or a horn on any other animal. The horn itself is dead and won't feel anything, but there would be nerve endings around where it attaches to the skull, so a gentle pressure or sharp jolt might cause some feeling there.

Aside from rhino horns, horns aren't dead, they have core made of bone which is very much alive, full of blood vessels and whatnot. It still can't feel anything, but that's because of what the surface of the horn is made off. If you break it it would HURT. 

LOL!

My headcanon is that all ponies have a magic organ, not just unicorns, because all ponies have magic. Magic is then expressed through keratin bodies like fur (cutie marks), hooves (how they grab stuff), feathers (flight), and the horn (it's not so much an antenna as wand which focuses magic which comes from within so telekinesis and spells can be cast). 

Edited by Ganondox

I can't remember for the life of me which episode it was, but Sweetie Belle did hit Rarity's horn in an episode and it seemed to hurt in some way, enough to cancel out her magic.

I'd say something but I'd probably be taken down. It was a ring they put on her horn, I think.

I think they would feel some form of sensation. Not something very stimulating, mind you. But more like how you feel when touching your elbow bone. Just try and knock on that elbow with a slight force; it has a weird sort of feeling, but overall a very "dull" sensation. That would be my guess. ^-^

• Brohoof 1

hmm odd one really. would it be bone or would it be like Rhino horns made of coarse hair matter? To us it could feel like teeth, but teeth are rather sensitive to any touch at all really and temp changes. just try tapping or flicking your tooth now, tends to hurt after a while. It could also feel like finger/toe nails? but i dont think horns would be made form the same stuff as hooves.... its an odd one. 

Does anyone know anything about Narwhals? they pretty much have unicorn horns.

• Brohoof 1

Do bones have nerve endings? I don't think so.... But with the power of magic I think that they can feel stuff with their horns, but I wouldn't advise it because feelings the power of magic isn't too fun. I'd expect it do feel like lightning.

Teeth have nerves though, what do you think carries pain from dental carries to the brain. Or more punny, nerves in carries carry the pain to the brain.

They help relay the sensation of pressure to the brain. Nerves in teeth have many other uses - fine control of chewing, making it easy to tell when something small is stuck in your mouth (such as a seed stuck between two teeth - it tends to feel huge). The nerves also allow for the sensing of hot and cold foods.

Teeth are closer to endodermic tissue than bone (dentin isn't like marrow) so it's an odd analogy to begin with.

• Brohoof 4