Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Getting sick of live action "insert disney movie here"

BlinkZ

Simply put, i'm getting sick and tired of these crappy live action "re-imagings" of Disney classics. It just aweful... Walt Disney woudl be ashamed. there no heart put into these projects it all about the bottom line $$$  if anything those movies make you like the originals 100 times more!.

What do you think? I mean really they are making a little mermaid live action..you're better off just watching a broadway musical of it in my opinion.

Edited by BlinkZ
  • Brohoof 2

The actual Disney movies themselves are kind of trying to be modern, for example..

Owner of Disney: HEY! LET'S MAKE A MOVIE ABOUT FOUR TEEN GIRLS GETTING SUPER-POWERS AND DABBING!

But the classics are worth watching as well.

BUT THE LIVE-ACTION SHOWS..

They just go so far with the live-action shows. PLUS they don't even have the original voices of the characters themselves! 

• Brohoof 2

It's just the typical Hollywood thing of reimaginings, reboots and sequels.  God forbid they should try and do something original.

Even their lastest animation sucks, i talk about Moana...

Not going to lie, I took my daughter to see Moana and I really enjoyed it.

• Brohoof 3

Not going to lie, I took my daughter to see Moana and I really enjoyed it.

Moana is a decent cartoon, but if you remember its a DISNEY cartoon, you will realize how much Disney's quality has been dropped every year  :okiedokieloki: . I can enjoy it more if it wasnt made by Disney  :pout:

• Brohoof 1

Disney will always take the path of least resistance. In this case, making even more money off something they've already done at least once and has proven itself to be commercially viable. In the '90s they were doing remakes of all their '60s live action movies (Flubber, etc.) and just added more fart jokes (Cha-ching!) Now it's cashing in again with live action reboots of its big animated classics. According to the box office numbers Disney can do no wrong, no matter how wrong they do something.  :derp:  

They'll continue with this trend as long as they have properties to reinvent and the money keeps rolling in. And let's face it, Disney has a bottomless well of classic artistic resources to draw from. 

I wouldn't mind it if these remakes weren't so manufactured in their feeling. Disney throws a bunch of money at something, hires whatever 'talent' is available whether they're truly right for the project or not, and they churn another 'classic' from the machine.  But they always come out the same way, soulless, empty and just okay enough to get by. I want to see some fresh new material. You'd think that with all of Disney's resources, they'd be able to 'risk' enough to try something fresh now and then without causing a panic among their stockholders. There are always more stockholders, just like there are always more customers at the theater.

When they started adapting movies for Broadway, they put a little more into their work because Broadway is a lot less tolerant of poor writing (at least they were when the Beauty and the Beast B'way show came out). The result was some really good material. Now that they're adapting Beauty and the Beast into a live action movie, why can't they just carry over the quality that they put into the Broadway adaptation? It's logical, easy and proven. But instead they tossed out two of the most popular songs and kept all the less important stuff, not to mention compromising the integrity of the new movie to make it a platform for more political statements.  :dry:

In my opinion, they should spend less time pretending to be something they aren't and more effort on rediscovering what it was like when Walt Disney was alive and keeping everything in check. Creativity is fun and free, they should really try it again sometime.  :ooh:

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 2

Disney will always take the path of least resistance. In this case, making even more money off something they've already done at least once and has proven itself to be commercially viable. In the '90s they were doing remakes of all their '60s live action movies (Flubber, etc.) and just added more fart jokes (Cha-ching!) Now it's cashing in again with live action reboots of its big animated classics. According to the box office numbers Disney can do no wrong, no matter how wrong they do something.  :derp:  

They'll continue with this trend as long as they have properties to reinvent and the money keeps rolling in. And let's face it, Disney has a bottomless well of classic artistic resources to draw from. 

I wouldn't mind it if these remakes weren't so manufactured in their feeling. Disney throws a bunch of money at something, hires whatever 'talent' is available whether they're truly right for the project or not, and they churn another 'classic' from the machine.  But they always come out the same way, soulless, empty and just okay enough to get by. I want to see some fresh new material. You'd think that with all of Disney's resources, they'd be able to 'risk' enough to try something fresh now and then without causing a panic among their stockholders. There are always more stockholders, just like there are always more customers at the theater.

When they started adapting movies for Broadway, they put a little more into their work because Broadway is a lot less tolerant of poor writing (at least they were when the Beauty and the Beast B'way show came out). The result was some really good material. Now that they're adapting Beauty and the Beast into a live action movie, why can't they just carry over the quality that they put into the Broadway adaptation? It's logical, easy and proven. But instead they tossed out two of the most popular songs and kept all the less important stuff, not to mention compromising the integrity of the new movie to make it a platform for more political statements.  :dry:

In my opinion, they should spend less time pretending to be something they aren't and more effort on rediscovering what it was like when Walt Disney was alive and keeping everything in check. Creativity is fun and free, they should really try it again sometime.  :ooh:

They got a bunch fo srouge mc ducks in the upper managment not to mention kids who will watch anything these days. But yeah shoving politic statement into old classic tales. or taken whatever talent is popular at the moment instead of what actors fit the roles well. got to have that X is in this movie sale scam.

What next Mulan 2019, Hunchback 2020, ...gah....but yeah It seems they try to prevent they still care like Walt Disney but it all snake oil these days and about profit over creativity. 

Too many reboots and remakes lately. The live action version of Alice In Wonderland is really good but otherwise it's getting frustrating and redundant. Do we really need a new Lion King? Do we really need a new Mulan? Do we really need a new Beauty And The Beast? Do we really need a new Sleeping Beauty (in this case, retitled Maleficent)?

Too much eye candy. Not enough originality. Shame on you, Disney, for most of your recent live action stuff.

I suppose Warner Bros. are guilty too because of their recent Peter Pan and Tarzan live action films that lacked the heart and soul of Disney's classic animated versions.

• Brohoof 3

Meh, I don't really care much for them either.

However I would be fine with Disney making live action film versions of movies that could actually benefit from a remake, such as the Black Cauldron.

I also think that Atlantis could make for a decent live action film adaptation.

• Brohoof 3

Meh, I don't really care much for them either.

However I would be fine with Disney making live action film versions of movies that could actually benefit from a remake, such as the Black Cauldron.

I also think that Atlantis could make for a decent live action film adaptation.

I am so glad you said that; Atlantis is probably on my top 3 Disney movies of all time, and I've actually got a soft spot for the Black Cauldron. I wouldn't mind seeing those in live-action. :P

• Brohoof 1

Is it really Disney's fault? 

Who is bankrolling Disney's bad habit here? Easy. The customers. If people stopped going to theaters and hit Disney in their bank accounts, then the house of mouse would change their ways. But that's not the case. The average Joe family taking their 4-9 year old(s) to the theater in the mini-van are to blame. Little Susie or Johnny (or most likely, Sophia & Jackson) will beg their parents to go see the fantasy movie with the pretty colors. Mommy and daddy don't want to disappoint, and probably wouldn't mind going out and seeing it themselves. Not like they have standards. So Disney makes a killing off that package deal. 

The audience, the movie going public, them rabidly flocking to the latest 40K resolution, Real-D family flick, is what is fueling this trend of rehashed mediocrity.  So with such a willing army of backers, why would Disney change things? Disney is like McDonalds. The food is very meh, at best, but it's easily accessible and affordable compared to the high quality and service of a 5 star restaurant, so it will inevitably make more. 

Don't you see? The real enemy, is right next door. Good luck fighting that battle for cinematic quality. 

Is it really Disney's fault? 

Who is bankrolling Disney's bad habit here? Easy. The customers. If people stopped going to theaters and hit Disney in their bank accounts, then the house of mouse would change their ways. But that's not the case. The average Joe family taking their 4-9 year old(s) to the theater in the mini-van are to blame. Little Susie or Johnny (or most likely, Sophia & Jackson) will beg their parents to go see the fantasy movie with the pretty colors. Mommy and daddy don't want to disappoint, and probably wouldn't mind going out and seeing it themselves. Not like they have standards. So Disney makes a killing off that package deal. 

The audience, the movie going public, them rabidly flocking to the latest 40K resolution, Real-D family flick, is what is fueling this trend of rehashed mediocrity.  So with such a willing army of backers, why would Disney change things? Disney is like McDonalds. The food is very meh, at best, but it's easily accessible and affordable compared to the high quality and service of a 5 star restaurant, so it will inevitably make more. 

Don't you see? The real enemy, is right next door. Good luck fighting that battle for cinematic quality.

I agree that Disney's not the ONLY one to blame. As a business, they need to make money, so if people pay for it and it makes a profit, Disney will keep making them! So the customers are just as "bad" for their role in the business cycle.

Personally, I think the Disney live action films are hit-and-miss. Some parts are good like Cinderella's Prince having more character and some plot holes in Beauty and the Beast are fixed. Others are bad like how they made King Stephen more obsessed with revenge on Maleficent than the safety of his daughter!

• Brohoof 3

i have not actually seen any of them yet, but whoever they have on the design team.... my god they need replacing. 

The re-designs of classic characters are really putting me off these films. Elliot looks wrong.... that's not the same dragon that saved Passamaquoddy. I dont know if he even makes the old silly cute noises either. 

Beauty and The Beast.... where do I freaking start? ok yeah I get they wanted to make em more realistic, but wtf. the servants look terrible! and dont get me started on the Beast's design ARGH, he looks worse than original human Beast.

I'm dreading what's gonna happen with The Lion King =/  

I agree with you 100%. I had high expectations for Maleficent, since Sleeping Beauty is my favorite classic Disney movie and was mildly disappointed. I've seen some of the others as well, and noticed they aren't as good as the originals as well.

God forbid they touch The Lion King...

Simply put, i'm getting sick and tired of these crappy live action "re-imagings" of Disney classics. It just aweful... Walt Disney woudl be ashamed. there no heart put into these projects it all about the bottom line $$$ if anything those movies make you like the originals 100 times more!

I assume you are talking about the New B&B film in theaters? The jokes on you since from what I have heard it is not a bad film, and although not as good as the source material, is a decent live action interpretation of it and apparently has a lot of attention to details from the original source. Instead of trashing everything they put out before you see it or even know what it is really about, why can't you watch it first and decide for yourself? It seems pretty much every film Disney puts out these days is dragged through the mud long before it hits theaters. They have put out some bad films just like every studio, but they have also put out a lot of entertaining original films.

Moana is a decent cartoon, but if you remember its a DISNEY cartoon, you will realize how much Disney's quality has been dropped every year

No they haven't. If anything they have been improving drastically. If anything, Disney is going into another golden age of animated films by all accounts, just because Moana did not click with you does not change that overall. I know this is all based on opinions and such, so people are free to like and hate what they will, but still it seems to me a lot people just prefer to blindly hate everything these days just because it has a name attached to it or because it is somehow edgy or 'cool' to hate anything and everything before it gets released. I know a couple of people who refuse to watch any of the new Star Wars stuff just because Disneys name is on it, thus it is automatically bad. To me this is not giving an opinion on a film by itself on its own merits... it is just blind hatred for the sake of hating things, and it makes for really uninteresting and boring viewpoints.

Here is a great idea. If you don't like the film or are not interested. Don't go see it. And if you do, feel free to write about how awesome or awful it was to you. But if you are just going to crap all over everything just for the sake of doing it without really giving it a chance, then do it behind closed doors.

• Brohoof 3

Here is a great idea. If you don't like the film or are not interested. Don't go see it. And if you do, feel free to write about how awesome or awful it was to you. But if you are just going to crap all over everything just for the sake of doing it without really giving it a chance, then do it behind closed doors.

Dont say just like you KNEW anything about me  :orly:  I only criticize the movies i actually SAW, and make a jugdement after i FINISHED them. If the movie didnt give me any good expectation, i wont watch and WONT even criticize them or even mention them (how could you criticize a movie that you didnt even watch). 

I know a couple of people who refuse to watch any of the new Star Wars stuff just because Disneys name is on it

I love Star war prequels, and people call Star war prequels suck :orly:  and sometimes i feel bad for liking them  :blush:

blindly hate everything these days

Not me, i always watch any movie with open-minded, if it's good, i praise it, if it sucks, i bash it, simple  :orly:  and... 

without really giving it a chance

I only bash a movie that i actually gave it a chance + it's suck (my opinions, of course).

Dont treat me like an asshole who spit at everything that people worked so hard for  :angry: 

Edited by Lambdadelta

Some of them have been good, and really well put together. Others... not so much. There's a fine line between trying to re-imagine a classic and just cashing in on the name. But Hollywood has done the latter across the board for years.

To me, I feel that as long as it's done well, I'll take it. For instance, the first live action Peter Pan from the 2000s was really well made. I have yet to see the new Beauty and the Beast. I'm actually looking forward to it. 

Simply put, i'm getting sick and tired of these crappy live action "re-imagings" of Disney classics. It just aweful... Walt Disney woudl be ashamed. there no heart put into these projects it all about the bottom line $$$  if anything those movies make you like the originals 100 times more!.

What do you think? I mean really they are making a little mermaid live action..you're better off just watching a broadway musical of it in my opinion.

I agree enough pandering to sjws and enough of the cash grabs I think Disney needs to take sometime off and rethink their plans really all they're doing is ruining themselves shooting themselves in the foot so to say now im not sayin Disney should die off but still Disney's becoming sortta like cartoon network in a sense.

Edited by Nightshroud