Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv What Do You Think Of The New Samurai Jack?

OmegaBeamOfficial

So I'm a little late to the party I'm aware, but the new Samurai Jack season started running earlier this month and I was finally able to tune in to watch the first episode, I thought It'd be nice to gather some more opinions on it. The general reception for the new season has been stellar, and I'm very impressed by that considering the show hasn't aired for 11 years. It just goes to show the guys at CN that they don't need to make half baked, already dating reboots of their existing shows, they can just get the people who worked on the show together and allow for a new season (Yes It's limited and there'll be no more after this but damn it It's better than nothing!) and it also shows that follow ups of cartoons and the like don't always have to be super kid friendly as long as they stay within the spirit of the show. The SJ creators wanted to create something with a more serious tone and I fully support that, It's interesting to me. I understand that shows like that can't air on the main CN network, but they have Adult Swim, and It's truly awesome to see them finally realise that and how to utilise it, maybe It'd clear up most of the crappier shows on AS. So what do you think? I loved the show, It's art style, acting, tone, the music it was all awesome, I never watched that much SJ as a kid so It's an exciting experience.

I've only watched a very little amount of Samurai Jack back when it was Netflix, so I wasn't too attached going into it.

I only saw the first new episode and I liked it.

I found it interesting, I might check out the second one.

Seeing how there is only going to be 10 episodes, if I decide to watch all of them, than it shouldn't waste too much of my time, if I am not that big of a fan of them.

But so far so good.

• Brohoof 1

I have not watched any of it yet. I LOVED Samurai Jack back in the day. Can't say my expectations are very high considering how bad cartoon reboots have been lately, PPG, Ben10, Teen Titans Go, the list goes on~

I'm not so sure I am digging the more "mature" vibe of this continuation to Samurai Jack. I saw a trailer on Adult Swim and it looked very... "generic adult cartoon", ya know?

Edited by ChocolateCrane
  • Brohoof 1

I've only watched a very little amount of Samurai Jack back when it was Netflix, so I wasn't too attached going into it.

I only saw the first new episode and I liked it.

I found it interesting, I might check out the second one.

Seeing how there is only going to be 10 episodes, if I decide to watch all of them, than it shouldn't waste too much of my time, if I am not that big of a fan of them.

But so far so good.

Well, I'm right along with you on that one. I'm waiting on the second episode to come out in my area, I'll watch them as they come out. Like I said I didn't watch much of the original 4 seasons as a kid but this new series has me hooked.

I loved it, it's great. The animation is gorgeous, the new soundtrack is fantastic, the action scenes are amazing, and it's just the perfect revival in my opinion. It manages to be more "Mature" without losing the spirit of the original. Episode 1 was pretty good, but I thought episode 2 was just amazing.

I'm not so sure I am digging the more "mature" vibe of this continuation to Samurai Jack. I saw a trailer on Adult Swim and it looked very... "generic adult cartoon", ya know?

Having seen the first two episodes, I'm pretty happy to say it isn't. It's darker than the original sure, but nothing feels out of place. There's a bit of extra blood here, some more mature themes the original show couldn't tackle there, but nothing too unrealistic for the original show. Still the same art style, just updated a bit, still the same action, the same sense of humor too, they haven't gone full serious, unlike what the trailers show, both the episodes got a good laugh from me.

Edited by BasementSea
  • Brohoof 1

I have not watched any of it yet. I LOVED Samurai Jack back in the day. Can't say my expectations are very high considering how bad cartoon reboots have been lately, PPG, Ben10, Teen Titans Go, the list goes on~

I have more confidence in this new season, as I feel it was a much better direction to go in than a reboot, a lot of the people who worked on the original show including It's creator crafted this new season, that was a good sign and it shows. I haven't watched too many episodes of Samurai Jack's original run, but I can safely compare what I have watched to this new season just because It's a little darker and has some mature elements thrown into the mix, it doesn't lose any of that sweet sweet charm or the spirit of the original, It's the perfect balance of new and old for me, however I can see while the darker vibes might throw people off.

Considering the current adult cartoons right now this is a breath of fresh air to me, I wouldn't call it the best thing I've ever seen, but It's not generic to me.

I loved it, it's great. The animation is gorgeous, the new soundtrack is fantastic, the action scenes are amazing, and it's just the perfect revival in my opinion. It manages to be more "Mature" without losing the spirit of the original. Episode 1 was pretty good, but I thought episode 2 was just amazing.

Having seen the first two episodes, I'm pretty happy to say it isn't. It's darker than the original sure, but nothing feels out of place. There's a bit of extra blood here, some more mature themes the original show couldn't tackle there, but nothing too unrealistic for the original show. Still the same art style, just updated a bit, still the same action, the same sense of humor too, they haven't gone full serious, unlike what the trailers show, both the episodes got a good laugh from me.

Pretty much in full agreement here, I'm so glad they kept in the theme song too, essentially I'd just be repeating myself over and over and I've already gone into detail on what I think of the show's new tone, but this pretty much sums it up quite nicely.

• Brohoof 1

MILD SPOILER

I love the idea of developing a cult dedicated to aku with times passing, peoples bonded will of conformity and tendency to create an allegiance collectively to one opposed entity... (people do this in fear and there is more reassurance with a majority) However the new antagonists for Jack, it kind of helps you form perspective, they see him as the antagonist... I love that Samurai Jack can create perspective and tell a story at times without having to make the characters speak.... Its a visual masterpiece at that...

The New Aku reminds me strongly of Discord, he has become less menacing and seemingly has adopted his new role as king and ruler of all timelines and dimensions... and he sees to have a quirky joking side of his character now, and they bathe this in his vanity...

• Brohoof 1