Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

String Theory and MLP universe.

Twilight Frost

If String theory were to turn out to be true, and there is an infinite number of other universes out there, and the theory that other universes could possibly exist with different laws of physics. 

That means that there is not only an infinite number of other universes, but an infinite of other universes with infinite other laws of physics out there for each one of them. That would mean that every character anyone has ever day dreamed, every version of them that has ever been thought, every book ever written, T.V show, anime, movie, short story, and Cartoon has it's own universe where there is an infinite number of variations of that same universe existing where all those characters exist for real. 

Our world and universe could be the result of being created by some other universes T.V show, and each one of us could had been created by someone elses day dream. 

Which would mean, do you think it is possible for a MLP universe to exist?, even one that could interact with ours?, Where each of the characters are real, maybe even compatible dna wise with humans, and they would have all the same personalities and stuff, and have a t.v show called Your big human that they are super fans of! Like what we have for them, but for us? 

Would you want to go to this world?, what would happen if our two universes / worlds discovered each other?

Edited by Twilight Frost
  • Brohoof 4

Have you ever read Robert Heinlein"s "The Number of the Beast"? Inter dimensional travel is invented. The creator intentionally locks off a good portion of the universes available, due to the physical laws being too far off to permit life as we know it. They did visit the actual real Land of Oz! It's one of my favorite books.

I have thought long and hard about the possibilities of every character/situation existing in another universe. As a writer, I hope some of my characters are real. Not others though. I've dabbled in horror. It would be a short shunt, but I'd love to visit a universe protected by a Madman in a Blue Box.

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 4

I have always wanted to believe in string theory as an explanation and model of quantum gravity, but am cautious about using it as a model for a 'multi-verse theory'. The "infinite multiverse" as described by physicists who support that aspect of the landscape is not what people conjure in their imaginations.

Dr. Susskind believed (without​ support) in an anthropic solution to the cosmological constant concern ... groups of multiverses that follow the same laws of physics. Others suggest that even that is so vaccuous as to render that part of the theory unmeasurable and untestable, so closer to religion than science.

Then you have the pure mathmaticians who point out that the common misconception among science enthusiasts - that infinity equates to everything imaginable - is inherently wrong. For example there are infinite points between 1 and 2, but none of those points is 3. Funny enough that fits Susskind's approach which factored in standard physics in every proto universe.

Abyway. So while it is theoretically plausible that they could be other universes presenting other scenarios, it would not be ALL scenarios imaginable. To consider it otherwise relies on faith, not physics or math. So the likelihood of a universe derived or mirroring another's​ fictional universe isn't supported. So do I believe in the multiple world theory? Yes. Do I think there is a reality out there that has Pinkie Pie bounding around setting of party canons? No I don't.

I do think the D-brane model and some like it show promise for explaining how quantum gravity works, and even plausible 'else worlds' though even that has its own flaws.

• Brohoof 1

I think I heard somewhere that String Theory had been debunked, but don't quote me on that. I think that's the reason why The Big Bang Theory had to retcon Sheldon's field of study. However, it is still a very fascinating theory, and one I would like to believe in even if it's improbable. I'm actually not entirely sure if it's been debunked outright or if it was just determined to be unlikely but maybe someone with more time on their hands can look into that.

I don't think it's outright impossible for the MLP world to exist without Sting Theory though, as it could exist somewhere in that vast universe of ours or even be a future Earth, though the latter is decidedly unlikely. All there needs to be is a world somewhat like Earth but different in key aspects, such as equines and other ungulates becoming the evolved lifeforms rather than primates, an especially rich deposit of gemstones and something about its surface or core that allows for magic to be a thing. The last two points make it seem unlikely that Equestria is a future Earth, but something like it could exist elsewhere.

String theory may state that there are a minimum of 5 bonus dimensions on top of our 4 spacetimey ones if it is proven to be correct, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't explicitly state that each of those dimensions encompasses an infinite number of other worlds/universes.

And I've read several articles about physicists saying that the 'next generation' of physics will not include dimensions in and of themselves, but will refer to them merely as generalised results of a higher mathematical concept (they cause too many problems when it comes to unifying gravity with quantum mechanics). String theory might end up being obsolete before it even comes close to being proven.

Then you have the pure mathmaticians who point out that the common misconception among science enthusiasts - that infinity equates to everything imaginable - is inherently wrong. For example there are infinite points between 1 and 2, but none of those points is 3.

Also this.

So, no, I don't think alternate universes are a thing, let alone ponified ones. :huh:

Edited by Duality

• 5 months later...
On 2017/3/23 at 2:37 AM, AlbaTross said:

I think I heard somewhere that String Theory had been debunked, but don't quote me on that. I think that's the reason why The Big Bang Theory had to retcon Sheldon's field of study. However, it is still a very fascinating theory, and one I would like to believe in even if it's improbable. I'm actually not entirely sure if it's been debunked outright or if it was just determined to be unlikely but maybe someone with more time on their hands can look into that.

Not to worry :) ! I can assure you that String Theory is farrrrr from being debunked and remains one of the most actively researched area in physics!

To quote a great physicist (Einstein): "It is too beautiful a theory to be wrong!" :P 

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Prospekt said:

It's a cool idea until you realize that means there's a universe out there in which every inhabitant is a G3.5 pony. ;)

Only problem I can see with that is our inability to get there...

• Brohoof 1

On 22 March 2017 at 0:54 PM, Twilight Frost said:

If String theory were to turn out to be true, and there is an infinite number of other universes out there, and the theory that other universes could possibly exist with different laws of physics. 

That means that there is not only an infinite number of other universes, but an infinite of other universes with infinite other laws of physics out there for each one of them. That would mean that every character anyone has ever day dreamed, every version of them that has ever been thought, every book ever written, T.V show, anime, movie, short story, and Cartoon has it's own universe where there is an infinite number of variations of that same universe existing where all those characters exist for real. 

Our world and universe could be the result of being created by some other universes T.V show, and each one of us could had been created by someone elses day dream. 

Which would mean, do you think it is possible for a MLP universe to exist?, even one that could interact with ours?, Where each of the characters are real, maybe even compatible dna wise with humans, and they would have all the same personalities and stuff, and have a t.v show called Your big human that they are super fans of! Like what we have for them, but for us? 

Would you want to go to this world?, what would happen if our two universes / worlds discovered each other?

Well according to my theory of MLP equestria was a new molti-verse network that was started by me. Anyways equestria right now in the show is around 4600 years into the future! :)

I approach the question philosophically, mostly due to the fact that both scientists and mathematicians claim that 'other universes' (whatever that means) aren't observable.

Fine.

However, when it comes to our imagination - two things in summary.

1) Our imaginations are merely images, sounds, etc (patterns) of real experiences which are combined, mutated and changed. Many imaginations can combine many different experiences together - both imagined (the shape of Pinkie Pie) with real experience (her voice is a real voice) to create a convincing context (a pony!). Everything in Equestia actually does exist, it's just that it exists in an imaginary context. That is, it exists as actual beings inside a very limited medium.

2) If our minds can combine actual experiences, even to the point of manifesting them in their own context (like Equestria) then we have to agree it is actual - just not manifest. In other words, imagined experiences are potential energy, however, there exists no fabric in the laws of physics to fully manifest them in their natural context. Philosophers of old would say, 'spirit and body differ in material, however they share being'. In the video game Xenosaga, the technology had become so advanced that long dead consciousnesses could be sensed across space-time as 'patterns' that had once existed, then recombined into a body so that the consciousness could reassemble and become aware again (resurrection). There were many problems of course, but perhaps you get my point. Consciousness is indeed of the universe, and what it observes is actual. Our consciousness is the universe observing itself. Every atom in our bodies was once inside a star, and our every thought will always be a portion of the universe's wave function.

I therefore conclude that since there are absolutely no limitations, or even known origins of the laws of physics in general, that there remains the possibility that our imaginations can manifest, and do manifest, fully and naturally in unknown space-times which we do not yet possess the awareness of to observe (to its comparatively full extent). It would be nonsense to claim what we imagine is not possible, because it has already formed a neural network pattern for which it can be retrieved as a memory, experienced as actual, and presented to others via communication. The difference is, the natural universe cannot completely observe it, to form it. However, some aspect of our consciousness can, which means it is indeed actual and potential. (Indeed I agree that some thing should not be formed from our potentials!)

Also, only our Frontal Lobe can tell the difference between what is imaginary and what is 'real'. Our body experiences both with equal validity, to the point that we allow. That is, we shudder when we think of a monster lurking behind a corner we cannot see, and on the contrary, we can ignore the pit in the sidewalk to accidentally fall into.

• Brohoof 2