Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Good Spike episodes.

CastletonSnob

I too rather like every Spike episode except "Princess Spike."

Haven't seen "Owl's Well That Ends Well" in a while, but I've always enjoyed how it emphasized Twilight and Spike's bond.

"Secret of My Excess" is just a lot of fun.

"Dragon Quest" is better for the other characters than Spike himself, but it's also plenty of fun, as is "Just For Sidekicks."

Then there's "Spike at Your Service," which has some of the show's best dialogue amidst its odd writing choices. One conversation between AJ, Rarity, and RD is one of my favourites in the entire show.

Spike's S4 episodes were actually among the few that season with meaningful character progression. "Inspiration Manifestation" challenges his infatuation with Rarity, and "Equestria Games" explores how he must feel living in the mane six's shadow.

"Gauntlet of Fire" isn't very imaginative, but it's also diverting and has some decent world building. Second least favourite but still alright.

"The Times They Are a Changeling" arguably doesn't go far enough with its prejudice allegory, but it's also thoughtful, thematically rich, and emotionally incredibly potent.

Surprisingly enough, I actually like every Spike episode except for Spike at your service. Equestria games and the Season 6 ones are my favorites.

Season six had two Spike episodes in Gauntlet and Times, and they're easily the best ones to date. While season six had some really questionable and poor execution, Spike had his best season. Aside from one episode (Newbie Dash), he was treated with the most respect out of anyone.

Overall, there are four, the others being Inspiration Manifestation and Secret of My Excess.

Three. Don't forget about Dungeons and Discord.

My three favorite Spike episodes, in order, are:

• Equestria Games
  • The Times are a Changeling, and
  • Secret of my Excess.

You can see I tend to go more for episodes with a lot of feels. But I also loved:

• Gauntlet of Fire (hello, Ember =) )
  • Dungeons and Discords
  • Dragon Quest
  • The parts of "The Crystalling" with Spike and Starlight. (Their B plot is actually more interesting than the stuff with Flurry and could be considered it's own episode since it's a 2-parter. It's fun to count it as a "Spike episode", giving him 4 eps in S6, lol.)

I liked:

• Owl's Well that Ends Well (don't care for Twilight there, though)
  • Inspiration Manifestation
  • Power Ponies
  • Dog and Pony Show

I don't particular care for:
  • Just for Sidekicks (he's so one-dimensional and regressed just as bad as Rainbow Dash here, though his scenes with the CMC are really good and the best parts of the ep.)
  • Spike at Your Service (OOC dimwitted Spike for some reason, ugh.)
  • Princess Spike. (Everyone around him has to act dumb to make the plot work.)

You guys are talking about bad Spike episodes, when Rainbow's been the victim of bad episodes for a majority of season 6, and a majority of the past too! Same with AJ!

Rainbow had 4 episodes in season 6 and don't recall people complaining about Top Bolt and Stranger than Fanfiction. I liked 28 Pranks Later and Newbiw Dash personally too. In season 5 Rainbow starred in Lost Treasure of Griffonstone and Tanks for Memories and everyone seemed to really like those. For the rest she has had bad episodes but the it's never been what Spike's has been.

• 3 years later...
(edited)

I like spike as a character and i think he is charming, funny, likable. But his episodes are 50/50. In most episodes i found him quite loyal to twlight including the ending. 

Spike eps i like

Gaulet of fire, times they are a changling, molt down, equestria games, sercut of my excuses,dungons and discords and inspiration manifestation.

Spike eps im ok/meh on

Power ponies, just for side kicks, spike at your service,

Spike eps i hate

Dragon quest, princess spike, owl ends well

Edited by Pyramidhead45

On 3/22/2017 at 3:14 PM, VG_Addict said:

With S6 done, have there been any good Spike episodes?

Yes, two in Season 6 are quite good:

Episode 5 "Gauntlet of Fire"
Episode 16 "The Times They Are a Changeling"

While there are a few in the newer seasons, I don't feel like they are good to mention.