Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private Order of the Flower [Nightmare Season and Raven Rawne]

Nightmare Season

@Nightmare Season

Natural was about to go back to the wagon but stopped to hear Peony's reply. Mentioning the flowers are a couple months old made her step back and look at her, then the flowers, and the potted one too, frowning. The other mare explained why they seems so vivid still, but Natural wasn't sold on the idea, and went to fetch the bag for charcoal, muttering. "Talking flowers, undead flowers, flowers that heal any disease... what next?"

She made some breakfast to start the day, and the ponies went further into Hayseed. Natural walked slower today, both for her company's sake, but mosly because the trail was worse. More overgrown vegetation and collapsed sides of the old road waranted extra attention. Besides, she could be around...

Natural looked curiously at Peony when she mentioned that the flower "sensed" a marigold. "Uhh, sure, we'll stop for a bit." Looking around, there wasn't a trace of the flower to be seen, so Natural decided that perhaps it was a way to call for a break without saying the other mare is tired. But... there was something ahoof, by the look she started walking around. Natual observed Peony in action and, well, it seemed she did take instructions from somewhere. Eventually the marigold was found and Natural had to begrudgingly agree that her employer wasn't, in fact, bonkers. The mint mare frowned at casting that stange magic on a perfectly fine flower, but it wasn't her call to make. She herself used smoke to scare away the bloodsuckers, since they really didn't like tobacco stench. One good thing from her vice at least.

They made good progress that day, and some time after the meal break, Peony lost to the Hayseed again. Naturla heard screams from behind and raced to the rescue, crossbor in hoof, only to find her employer tangled in vines she must've slipped into. With some noticeable problems in keeping a straight face, she inspected the "trap". "Good job there, miss Peony. Although I'd advise to stay at my side to avoid just that kind of problems... I'll get you out, but the only way I see is to cut the vine, and it'll release you, well, right below. Sorry." - She sat on her plot to steady herself and took out the main vine with a single shot. Iron crossbow bolt: 10 bits. Her employer in a puddle of mud again: not funny.  Natural put the weapon down and tried to help the other mare out of the swamp, knowing full well that she needs to be cleaned up and dried before they proceed. "Give me a hoof, I'll pull you out, okay?" The mint mare yanked her companion out of the water and tried to calm her down, starting from wiping her face off. She was about to say fomething comforting when Peonly noticed soething on her side. "Uhh, a lech, yeah. Lemme give it a shove for you." She barely managed to put the offender back where it belonged when Peony went limp and she had to grab her, before the unicorn hit the ground. "Well buck! Last time I'm falling for such "easy money"... Peony? Miss Peony?! Well shit."

Natural Order suddenly became acutely aware of just how much noise they made, and looked around. Thankfully nothing seemed to be about to pounce on them, yet. The earth pony dragged the other mare closer to the wagon door, then retrieved her weapon. She used up around quarter of their clean water supply and some of her actual clothes to clean up the unicorn and somewhat dry her up. The brand new hoofboots were resting in a line, also drying off - if that was even possible in the humid air. Once Peony was cleaned up, but still unconcious, she was taken, more gently this time, inside the wagon, and Natural stood watch by the door.

Turns out, her causciousness was not misplaced. Sometime later, she heard movement from the direction they were going to. Looking out over the wagon's corner, she noticed it. A Jaguar. Must've swam through the swamp to approach her, but disturbed the bushes on the way out. There was no time to load th crossbow, so she just scrambled nack into the wagon, the predator in pursuit of it's pony prey. Natural made it inside with some margin of safety before the cat pounded into the door, and roared in anger over lost meal. The earth pony was leaning over the door t avoid breaking them down, but the predator didn't hit it again, just scratched and seemed to walk away. Natural noticed tat her companion was wide awake, and smiled awkwardly. "Heheh, told you about wildlife, didn't I? We should stay in for a wee bit longer, just to be sure. I won't risk a miss at point blank range, you see..."

• Brohoof 1

@Raven Rawne

Peony came back around latter. She found that she had been cleaned up and was inside the wagon. Before she could even stand up, a commotion was heard outside and Natural Order came rushing into the wagon closing the door behind her. Something slammed into the door, then left. With her warning about staying inside, Peony nodded and just stayed laying down. The rest was welcomed at least.

"Sorry about that dear. Slimy things I have a hard time with." The two just stayed in there for some time while their boots dried fully. Ears were always trying to hear if anything remain outside. After Natural decided it was safe enough, the two left and proceeded to the jungle some more. This time, Peony stayed closer to Natural as they walked.

When the sky started to darken, the guide looked for a relative safe spot to park the wagon and set up the small camp site. They had cold food this time around. She did not feel comfortable enough to light a fire. Peony did not feel it right to try and question her, so she ate what was given to her.

• Brohoof 1

@Nightmare Season

The mare shrugged, still a bit on edge over the predator nearby. "We all have our weaknesses, and I despise leeches all the same. One reason to seer clear of murky water around here. Other than alligators, snakes, and... nah, I'll stop there. Feeling okay, by the way?"

The mares waited for a tad longer in the wagon, and Natural made sure, to the best of her ability, that Peony was, in fact, okay, before they went outside and resumed their trek. The mint mare tried to push a bit harder to make it to the next stop point before nightfall, but the road had other plans. They made it to a crescent shaped nook, looking as if a portion of a hill collapsed. The trees held the ground around together, forming walls of bark and soil. The spot was more humid than their last one, and Natural didn't light anything, not even a torch, opting for adaptartion of their eyes to the dim light conditions. This deep in the swamp, they were in her territory, and the earth pony didn't ant to risk a meeting with a big city tag along. Not that she told why they didn't light the fire, no point in scaring Peony even further, right? Besides, the oil lamp did okay for illuminating their plates. Natural Order called for rest soon after the meal, and they bunkered in the wagon to brave off the night.

Morning came and the mare woke up off her mental alarm clock. It was very early, so she didn't wake Peony just yet, opting to stretch her legs outside and maybe prep a meal beforehoof. Natural listened in to the outside world, but heard nothing alarming, the nopened the doors. She didn't like what she saw...

A clumsy drawing in the soil, right at their doorstep. Looking around, the culprit was nowhere to be seen, but the mare knew who did it, and she didn't like it one bit. "She found me." - that was all she had to say to herself, erasing the drawing with a hoof. At least they were being left alone, so that's something. Still, she will have some 'splaining to do next time she bumps into the amateur artist. All the more reason to speed thing up and reach the Forbidden Jungle post-haste. Thankfully, the vegetation was already changing, so they were close.

• Brohoof 1

@Raven Rawne

Peony woke up in the morning after Natural did. Looking around showed she had already left the wagon. Peony got up and levitated her flower onto her back before she ventured outside. "A good morn'n to you sweaty. Hope yo got so well deserved rest last night?" She asked her as she walked over to the cleanest water source to try and freshen up. After she felt "cleaner" she did her mane and tail up and tied them back with her still living flowers. She even placed the Marigolds in her mane to keep those mosquitoes away.

By the time she was done, Natural had cooked them up a breakfast. No need to hide a fire now since they were already discovered. "Either I am just famished, or your cook'n smells divine love." They both ate, however Natural was trying to hurry up so they could get into the jungle as soon as possible. Peony went as fast as she could. When the meal was done, they headed through the swamp once more.

When mid-day rolled around, the two mares noticed the first true signs that they were leaving the swamps. Now before them, lush green foliage and tall trees. Natural seemed more relived now that they were out of the muck. Looking back to her employer, she noticed she must have found yet another mud hole to her snout and well, everywhere. She was once again covered from head to hoof with mud and muck. At least now there was a fresh running stream close by for a better washing up for Peony.

The Canterlot mare did not waste the moment, and headed straight to the clean water for a proper bath. "Oh happy days and bless my stars. Finally I can get all proper again."

• Brohoof 1

@Nightmare Season

The earth pony heard her employer from behind and turned to face her. "No worse than usual, so that's something." She didn't mention that they were spotted by an unhinged lamia pony living in this area, however. No reason to stress out the unicorn unnecessarily. She decided to make something to eat, and even lit a small fire to boil up water for the stew. It was still early enough, so they could spend some more time to prep.

"I wager it's the former, miss Peony, but thanks for the compliment. I added some greens I pickd up yesterday, so it should be a bit better than preserved food. Hay, if we weren't on a schedule, we could live off the land entirely. Provided we find a clean water source that is. We kinda dropped under half the barrel of that..."

They packed up and left the small nook, heading along a faint suggestion of a trail leading South-East, into the Forbidden Jungle. It as no easier than the previous days, with overgrown flora and mud on their way, but, eventually, they were out of the swamp. The earth pony was very relieved to see the green walls of the jungle proper - for once, no crazy lamias, or so she hoped. Secondly, there are streams with slean water in the jungle, and realy, water collection is so much easier there than in that rotting, pungent swamp. The vegetation looked healthier too. 

Natiral noticed the stream at the same time as Peony, but, being hooked to a wagon, she couldn't race to it. Instead, the mare houted: "Just be careful there okay? Don't touch anything brightly colored!" She pushed the wagon onwards and parked it by the stream, near the bathing Peony. Natural went inside the wagon for a bucket. "I'll refill our water supply and have a bath too, so we can call it a stop for now. Just keep your eyes open, and like I said, if it's colorful, it's poisonus in the Jungle. Especially the frogs." She refilled the barrel and took off the cloak and hoofboots, then waded ino the stream, still alert of her surroundings. "Not a hot water bath in an inn, but one can get used to simple pleasures like that. Especially after Hayseed, I swear it feels like the very air is acidic there..." She spread the fresh water onto her whole body and mane, scrubbing the swamp out of it. They will need to dry up in the sun afterwards, but, apparently, some trees fell nearby and there was a opening in the umbrella of canopies. Natural decided they will take a break there, in a small clearing amongst the huge tree trunks. With not even a hint of a trail to follow, she will have to rely on her sense of direction to navigate the dense forest as she looked for a way to cross with the wagon. 

• Brohoof 1

@Raven Rawne

Peony Spring took this opportunity to make sure she was well washed and cleaned. She listened to her guide warn her about very colorful creatures in the jungle being poisonous. She simply nodded as she scrubbed the much off of her fur. Peony was the first to start washing, but she was also the last to finish. Between her upbringing and the number of times she was covered from a fall, she wanted to make sure every inch of her was spick and span.

She eventually was satisfied with her cleanliness, so she went to the clearing to dry with Natural. "I feel so much better now. All that muck is off. So we will mostly be try'n to find this temple by shear luck now?" She asked her guide. When they were dry, they decided it was a good time in the day to have a meal. A few quick sandwiches was all they had. Natural was wanting to put some distance between the swamp and their night time camp site.

Peony once again did not question her, and just followed behind. This time a lot slower since they had to practically make their own trail. Peony enjoyed this section of the trip the most so far. Everywhere around her was flowers blooming on the trees. Even one she sniffed only to get a rotten smell from it. It was pretty and very large, but gave off a rotten smell instead of a sweat one.

When the sun was starting to get low, the mares found a small area that Natural believed would be best suited to make camp. Peony liked that news, she was so tired from walking so far.

• Brohoof 1

@Nightmare Season

The earth pony found it somewhat amusing, glancing occasionaly as the oter mare seemed hellbent on making herself squeaky clean. Reminded he of the first trips she took herself, always trying to stay clean and all... Natural Order took a rather quick, byt thorough bath in the stream, and walked out of it to dry off in the Sun. She paced slowly, letting the warmth and slight breeze do it's work. Eventually, Peony joined her, and Natural couldn't help ut give her an encouragong smile. "Well, pretty much, yeah. Unless you know a way to look at the Jungle from above - that would speed things up. But I know where we are, and, judging from your map, we're not very far from the optimal place to enter the Jungle. Not like we'll go back into Hayseed, that's pretty much out of the question."

They took some more time to dry off, and, once Natural was satisfied with the state of her coat, she went to make a quick meal before they go out again. Not a grand feast, only sandwitches, but she haven't had any good night spots in mind, so, naturally, they will need to look for something along the road, and that means slower going. All in all, the sirst hours weren't as bad - sure, the nad to backpedal a few times when suddenly there was no more room to pass with the wagon, but, could be worse really. Plus, they haven't met any of the deadly funa or flora, always a plus. If not for the task at hoof, she would get busy picking plant ingredients - the Jungle was in bloom and the flowers had nice price tags attatched to them. But the place to rest for the night was more important.

I the mare was by herself, she would dare to look some more. But with her company, she couldn't be picky on camp sites. So, once the world started to get darker, her golden eyes started to look more intently gor a good camping spot. Eventually, an unassuming shrubbery was picked: a wide tree trunk blocked the path from one side, thick shrubs covered with vines made a wall of sorts, making a niche to close with the wahon and allowing more or less safe camping inside. Fire was lit and a warm meal served, amongst the sounds of insects and occasional monkey somewhere up above. No horrid frogs for once, and far less mosquitoes too. Natural was casually alert, knowing not all dangers sleep at night, but didn't make a fuss about it. So the mares just ate in peace.

"You know, mss Peony, with the tempo we have here, and, provided we won't miss the temple and come out on the other side of the Jungle, we should reach it around... afternoon of the second day? Maybe? Hard to tell with those blocking the way." - She pointed at the large tree. "But we should find it, there's no way it could be swallowed whole by the forest. I hope..."

• Brohoof 1

@Raven Rawne

Peony was glad for the warm meal. She was so hungry she did not care about the low quality of it this night. After they ate, Natural spoke up about how they should discover this temple in the next couple of days. "That is good then. Find them temple, get the flower, then head home. Back to warm baths and fine food. I feel I will not become much of an explorer pony. I prefer to just have my garden as the biggest adventure in my life. What about you? What might you do once we get back deary?

After the meal was finished and everything put away, Peony decided with a couple of yawns, that it was time to go to sleep. She entered the wagon where her not so comfy sleeping bag was waiting for her. Once again she was out cold in a matter of seconds.

The following morning, Peony woke up before Natural again. She snuck out of the wagon so she could get her grooming done before she woke up. She washed up and sat near the last night fire sight to get her mane and tail up in a more comfy fashion. So much hair took a while to get in a proper state. When Natural finally woke up a short time latter, she noticed Peony was once again out of the wagon. Not hearing any talking this time, she went outside.

As soon as she opened the door, Natural noticed Peony sitting by the dead campfire. She appeared to be frozen. Peony saw her come out and quietly spoke up. "Natural....What should I do? A colorful creature you warned me about got in my mane. Is it trying to poison me?" Natural went and looked at her mane. There she discovered, due to the flowers in her hair, a colorful bird had discovered her mane and landed on top of her head. Peony looked absolutely terrified about the colorful bird sitting on her head.

• Brohoof 1

@Nightmare Season

The earth pony nodded. "That's the plan. Let's hope it survives..." She thought it was a bit funny how Peony emphasised that she didn't want to get anyfurther than her garden once she's back home, but held her tongue on that matter. Everypony's got their lifestyle. Natural thought for a moment, chewing the stew. "Me? I'll hit the road again, like I always do. Living in one place, working from nine to five, that's just not me. I need freedom - of what and when I do, what I'll see from the window when I wake up, that sort of thing. But I admit, I miss the city comforts after a while, yeah. That's why I sleep in inns when I have the chance, and the bits."

Peony went to sleep, and Natural decided it was for the best. For once, they had a long walk before them, and secondly, she didn't feel like explaining her lifestyle yet another time. The mint mare loitered by the fire some more, and also turned in to sleep, closing the doors with a slab, just to be sure.

Natural Order woke up and noticed her employer was out, again. She sighed and groaned, stretching in the confined space, then listened in. No talking. The mare peeked out of the wagon to look for her companion. She saw her as soon as the doors opened, sitting by the dead fire, albeit strangely. Before she could ask why, the reason became apparent, as Peony asked wth some fright about a colorful creature in her mane. Natural walked towards her, eyes peering tat the tangle of hair and flower, looking for something out of place. "Don't move just yet... I'll take a look." The mint mare nearly laughed as she saw the culprit, sluttering around the picked flowers. "Ahem, sorry. it's a bird. Not sure what species, but it sure is pretty." She tried to whistle while extending her foreleg, but the bird ony got spooked and flew away. With some resignation, Natural tisked and shook her head. "They never land on my hoof. Guess I'm not attractive enough.Unlike you, those flowers must've caught it's attention." She sat next to the other mare for a little lecture. "Okay, so maybe I overdid the colorful beast scare. Some plants are poisonous when you eat them. Colorful frogs, insects, and snakes are piosonous or venomous, or try to pass as such. Stll, better avoid them just to be safe. Birds aren't poisonous, and neither are monkeys or other bigger animals. Still, some may be dangerous if they see us as danger or tresspassers. Like I said, I'm not venturing into the Jungle very often so I;m not an expert, but those are the general rules. Feeling better, by the way? You looked rather spooked."

• Brohoof 1

@Raven Rawne

Peony finally relaxed and stretched after the okay came that colorful birds were not on that list of poisonous things. "I must have looked simply silly? Though I do feel a bit better now, knowing that I will not slowly die from a poison." Now that her life was no longer in peril, Peony returned to managing that bird nest on her head and flank. The flowers however were new. Seems she had been picking some along the way and casting that weird longevity spell upon them as they were walking. Guess that might have been why the bird fancied her mane.

Breakfast was served and they both ate. Peony seemed to enjoy the jungle far more than the swamp. She was always looking this way or that at flowers or birds. When they finished eating, it was one again up and on the trail once more. Though this time, they were making their own trail. The journey was long and slow this time around. Mostly due to undergrowth or large based trees blocking a decent path. Peony kept a few of the marigolds in her styled mane to keep the few mosquitoes at bay still.

Around about lunch time, the two stopped to have a quick bite. Peony was sitting up along a tree eating when all of a sudden, a crossbow bolt went right pat her head hitting the tree. When she looked over at it, it had pinned a snake to the three. A great shot by Natural. It was large enough that it could have eaten the mare. She was shocked and jumped behind Natural. "That snake is simply huge. Thanks for protecting me. I could have been on the lunch menu."

The rest of the day, the two mares pushed even deeper into the jungle. At one point a rain storm went through drenching them. Peony looked silly with her mane and tail utterly ruined. The night started to approach with the rains still falling. Natural found a nice cliff face with an over hanging rock that acted like a umbrella so they could duck inside for the night. The water was running down so thick, it made almost like a curtain of water over the edge. A nice little hide away. "Well...at least it is not as bad as the swamp. Falling into it almost every step. At ;east I am clean. Though my mane did not hold up well."

Peony Spring did look just awful with her mane and tail in utter chaos. If discord was there, he would had been impressed by the shear craziness that had discovered its way to her mane style. Natural at that point managed to find some dry wood to start a fire. Peony watch the water pour down from the over hanging ledge. "Looks beautiful. Almost like falling silk or crystal dancing down."

• Brohoof 1

@Nightmare Season

Content with her employer's current well being, the mint mare decided to take care of breakfast. The sooner they head out, the more ground they cover, so she got busy with everything. Natural Order had to really think where she was heading, with no roads to follow and just her sense of direction, and an occasional glimlse at the sun where they could see it, it wasn't exactly easy to keep course. And those pesky plants kept blocking te way, so she had to use an old machete quite often. At least the weather was good and the jungle was, for once, a pleasant place to be in. Natural was getting tired from hacking and pulling, so she called for lunch earlier than before. They just stopped in a random location and sat where they felt comfortable to eat some sandwitches and take a cup of water. Also check their hooves. At some point, the mint mare, who was resting aainst he wagon's wheel, saw a snake creeping up on her companion. Without much thought, she shot up and reached for the crossbow, and pinned the predator with a well placed bolt. Another one ended it's misery as it pierced the beast's stull. She was very strict about animal cruelty. Breathing in long, even beaths, she stared at her prey for some time as Peony found shelter behind her. Finally, sheseemed to wake up from some stupor and looked back at her employer. She didn't seem proud. "That's my job, remember? Such a beast, what a shame I had to put it down..."

Natural Order put away the larfe grosbow and walked to the carcass to retrieve her bolts. Both were salvaged, but the mare seemed sorry for what she did. even laid the carcass respectfully on the ground and let it rest unmolested. They departed soon after, and the crossbowpony seemed bothered by shooting that snake, for some reason.

They haven't walked far before Nature seemed to enact revenge for slaying it's beast. A heavy rain fell upon the Forest, drenching the mares. Natural had her green cloak draped over her, but it wasn't waterproof, so she was so wet as if she just swam across the river. Still, she seemed more or less unaffected by the rain. Not pleased, by any means, since it made things much more difficult, but it was more like, the feeling of being wet, wasn't that much of a pain to her. Thankfully, the mares did stumble upon a cliff with a dry nook to hide in. Natural parked the wagon so they would get inside without getting drenched, and set up camp. Even a small fire was lit, but she had little fuel for it. Enough to cook a meal and at least try to dry off themselves and their clothes.

Natural didn't look much better than her employer. With a ruffled coat, mane and tail loke wet hay, she wouldn't win any hearts by her looks alone. Still, she was more peoccupied with preactical matters and did her best to dry off. At least Peony seemed to find some measure of beauty in the falling water. "Hmm, it does look interesting, yes. Even pretty. But for the record, I'd much rather wake up without the sound of rain beating down onto the roof. Rainmakes it all that much harder..." She was massaging a hind leg, although there was no sign of any injury. Maybe just a muscle cramp. Natural also seemed tired, more so than in previous days. Staring into the fire, she said to nopony in particular. "If we're lucky, maybe we'll reach that temple tomorrow. Or so I hope at least. Jungles and wagons are not meant to be together."

As per usual, Natural waited tillPeony got ready to get her rest, and closed the wagon after packing everything back inside. She really was tred, and welcomed the rest.

• Brohoof 1

@Raven Rawne

Peony sat there for some time just watching the wall of water flow seamlessly over the overhang. She looked like she was in a trance during that time. When the sun was finally low enough where the light was fading, Peony finally decided to head for the wagon. Before crawling into her bed roll, she looked over at her potted friend. Thankfully she kept it inside the wagon this day. All that heavy ran would have drowned its roots for sure.

She went right to sleep once her head hit the pillow. She dreamed of all the new flowers she had seen during the day. Morning came suddenly to her, and Peony woke up to notice this time her guide was awake before she was. Before the frizzled maned pony left the wagon, she turned to look at the flower almost as if spoken to. "You sure love? It might downpour again today........Yes I know the rain stopped in the night, but think about if you fall off my back and your pot breaks........Oh fine! I will carry you then today." She used her magic to levitate the flower up and over to her back.

As she stepped outside, Natural Order was giving her a funny look. "What? Flower said it wanted to travel on my back today. Said we were close to the temple......I am not crazy. It really dose talk when it wants to." Peony went over to the fire pit where she sat the pot down and began her half an hour styling of her mane.

• Brohoof 1

@Nightmare Season

Natural woke up, slowly coming around and recalling everything. It was after Dawn, judging from the rays of sunlight invading the wagon through cracks in the shutters. Peony was still asleep, so she decided to get out of the wagon, and start the day.

She sat by the dead campfire and saved some charcoal, then lit it again, for no reason but to feel the nice warmth. Natural got through her simple morning routine, and decided to make something to eat whan she heard Peony tallking in the agon. Having decided to wait, Natural stayed seated by the fire untill she came out. "Morning pep talk?" - She started once the other mare came out, then waved a hoof dismissively. "No worries, you couldn't find that marigold on your own, and in the way you did, so I believe you. Well, sort of. Never heard of talking flowers that's all. But I guess I should make something to eat."

The earth pony was a bit impatient with how deliberate her companion was with her mane and tail, but kept quiet about it. No need to argue in the middle of nowhere. After breakfast, she doused the fire and they set out again, in the direction she hoped to somehow stumble on a temple of sorts. A tall order, since she couldn't see more than thirty steps in any direction through the jungle plants and trees.

this time, Natural called for a break after puling the agon through especially tricky part of the forest. Truth be told, she was used to more laid back pace, not a race against the clock for several days straight. She walked slower and looked around more after lunch, secretly fearing she'll miss the spot.

• Brohoof 1

@Raven Rawne

Peony was once again distracted along the way with the different flowers growing in the tops of the trees high over their head. At one point, Peony tripped on a root and went face first into the damp soil. Her unicorn magic activated just in time to save the flower that had been riding on her back. Once she got back to her feet, Peony started to apologize to the flower.

Peony was grateful for the early lunch break. She was still having trouble with the long walking spells through rough terrain she was not at all familiar with. As Natural was off looking around, Peony took the short time to re-pamper herself and clean herself up. When Natural came back, she looked a bit worried. "Is there anyth'n the matter love" She asked her companion.

The response that she seems to not be able to locate the temple to easily got Peony Worried a bit. Though Natural insisted they continued along. Another two hours of trailblazing through the jungle, Peony stopped as if listening to the flower on her back. "Umm, Natural dear. Flower here says if we keep head'n that way we will pass the temple. It says the temple is in this direction." Peony pointed off in a side ways direction from their current heading.

At first Natural did not wish to believe it, but Peony started trotting off in the direction she pointed. Natural had to follow her. A few minutes latter, the two came to a cliff. With them finally over the tree line, they could see off in the distant some. There a few more hours walk, straight ahead, was what looked like the temple they came here to find.

• Brohoof 1

@Nightmare Season

Something was wrong. Had to. Natural Order had this habit of thinking where she is on the map, and, by her estimate, she was where Peony marked the spot. Did she go oof course? Or the mark was in the wrong place from the beginning? The unicorn was also a bit concerned about he guide's abilities, it seemed.

Andthen Peony urged her to stop and head left, because the Flower told her to. She looked at the potted thing, with murderous intent. "Oh did it now? Well someting IS off around here, since we should be basically on top of it right now if the mark on your map was right..." Seeing Peony just go the way she pointed, the mare rolled her eyes and groaned. "Uhh, okay, I'll go that way and we'll see where it leads us." She pulled the wagon, angry, until hey had to stop in front of a sheer cliff drop.

Suddenly aware that they reached the dead end, Natural was about to finally snap when she saw something not green in the distance below. "Huh? What's THAT?! Can't see sit from here, hold up!" - She said, still venting, as she unhooked herself from the harness and, after making sure the wagon won't roll down and into the sheer drop, went back to the wagon and rumaged for something. Finall, Natural came back with a beat up spyglass. "Let's see... well I have good news and bad news. Good nwes is, your flower found it. Bad news is, we gotta find a way down that cliff, and the way I see it, there's a promising looking slope a fair distance from here. Unless something really bad happens. we should reach the place for the night. And I;m pretty sure that map was wrong, because I did reach the spot you put an X on."

Having spit out what she had to say, the mint mare got busy with more important tasks than rebuilding her reputation, namely getting down the cliff.She had to make another break down there, since going down, in a jungle, with a wagon that wants to roll over you is neither fun nor easy to pull off. At least they had a bie to eat, cold as it was, and a cup of fresh water. For all her wandering around for years, Natural was fed up with the thick jungle. Traversing it was stupid hard. Eventually, they resumed the trek and barely reached the stone structure before nightfall, so the earth pony hanged a snall lantern on the wagon so she could see where she's going. 

• Brohoof 1

@Raven Rawne

As Peony waited for Natural to return with her spy glass, She looked out across the tree tops of the jungle. In a way, it was very nice and pleasing. When she returned and looked out at the temple the sought, Peony got a tiny sense that she was angry about something. Though right after, they  headed for the slope Natural spotted.

Going down the slope seemed li8ke the hardest part of the trip so far. At a couple of spots, Peony had to help keep the wagon from free rolling over Natural. Though once the two reached the bottom of it, Natural called for a quick lunch break. After, they headed straight to the temple they saw off at a distance. Natural however seemed to be in a more grumpy mood by this point.

They pushed on even when it started to get dark out. They even had to hang up a lantern to see with by the time they reached the temple. Or at least it was some stone structure there. The two skipped out on a warm meal, since they had to hurry up on setting up their camp site. "I am so grateful that we finally reached this temple. Tomorrow we can search for a way in. Then we can head home for a nice warm bath and massage."

The two talked for a short time before Peony decided all her yawning was the sign she needed to hit the hay for the night.

• Brohoof 1

@Nightmare Season

Natural was too beat to cook, and it seemed her employer was in no better state herself. Having reached a stone wall, the earth pony was all too eager to get some rest already, but they had to set up camp before that. So she parked the wagon in a semi defensible position, with the doors to the wall and with bushes all around. They didn't bother with the fire, having the lantern instead. Natural Order made sandwitches with tired hooves and they ate them quickly as they sat down and rested a bit before heading off to sleep.

"Yeah... It turned out to be harder than I thought, and we didn't even have any real problems on the road! *sigh* I sure hope we'll find what you came for, would be a shame to come back empty hooved."

Seeing the unicorn turn to sleep, the earth pony followed. She couldn't go to sleep before Peony did, being a guide and all. She just closed the wagon doors and snuffed out the lantern before laying on her sleeping bag for the night.

This time, she woke up first. And there was something outside, making noise. Natural listened in for a moment, then, as silently as she could, she got up and reached for the crossbow. Peeking through the cracks in the shutters, she couldn't see much, but it sounded like whatever it was, was pony sized or so. With a bolt at the ready, she slowly opened the door. It's hinges squealed in protest and the intruder took off and ran. The mare opened the doors wide and saw a glimpse of something like a boar. Once the perimeter was secure, she lit the fire and started cooking some real breakfast, while staring at the stone structure before her.

It was old, that was evident. Made of yellowy-gray stone, with some cracks to it as the Jungle tried to swallow it. Yet somehow, the plants didn't grow on the stones proper, like on any old ruin she saw. Strange enough on itself. She couldn't see much, since it was, probably some kind of outer wall reaching up to the first storey. Sitting right under it, there was no way to see what wa behind it. The mare waited for her employer and rested some more, occasionally checking the stew and enjoying the good morning weather.

• Brohoof 1

@Raven Rawne

Peony woke up in the morning to the fresh scent of cooking outside. Looking over, she noticed she was the last to wake up again. With a healthy yawn and and a stretch, she got out of bed and opened the door to the outside. There waiting for her was her guide with a pot of stew. "That smells positively divine Natural dear. A little congratulation meal for find'n the temple at last?"

Having said that, Peony walked over to the wall and placed a hoof on it. She was admiring the stone when Natural called her over to get a helping of the stew. She did not aurgue that at all and went over to join her. Messy mane and all. After they had their fill, Natural started to clean breakfast up while Peony took the time to get her mane and tail back into and order style.

When she was finally ready, the two took off to find a way into the stone wall. Around about midday did the two finally discovered a way in. What they had discovered the night before was indeed a wall. The opening was an old archway to allow ponies in and out. As they walked through it, they saw the real temple off in the distance at the end of what looked like an old road leading to it. "Would have been much easier if we had this road to begin with." Peony said as she looked at her goal within a short walking distance.

• Brohoof 1

@Nightmare Season

She perked up an ear at the sound of the wagon door opening, followed by Peony speaking up. The mint mare smiled and nodded. "Heh, guess you could say so, yeah. Found some good stuff to add to the pot around here too. Told you there's no need to lug food supplies where you have the time to gather what's growing all around you."

Breakfast went as usual, meaning they both eagerly ate it and then went to their respective dutues - Natural rolled back the camp, and Peony styled her mane and tail. She was the one paying, after all. They followed the stone structure in hopes of finding an entrance.

It took a lot of time, but by midday they finally stumbled on a wide archway leading inside the temple grounds. Now Natural could see that it was, indeed, a wall they were walking next to for so long. She smirked at Peony's remark as she pushed the wagon onto the uneven stones of the Old Road. "Yeah, and a tavern every now and then. Though I'm more concerned why it wasn't swallowed by the Jungle by now, the stones look very old and all, but, just look at the temple grounds... Like the place was abandoned last year at worst..." She was right, on both sides of the path, there were plant beds overgrown with weds, and there were fallen leaves and other trash everywhere, but not one tree or bush sproued within the perimeter. Narutal Order had a slight creep on her back, pondering what force could hold Nature itself at bay...

Before her mind went into some really scary areas, the mares reached the steps of the temple proper. The earth pony had to find a good spot to park, and decided to leave her mobile home a little off to the side, where she would have good visibility at any approaching dangers if needs be. They were both eager to just ascend the steps already, but she held her horses just for a moment, and said to her companion: "Now as much as I'd like to just go and get that flower, I say we rest for a bit, eat up. Nopony knows what's inside and I'd rather run for my life with rested hooves, if you know what I mean..." She glanced at the tall structure, and could've sworn she saw smething move, but decided it was her mind playing tricks on her. Must be. And so, the mares had one of their most nervous lunches yet, as Natural sat right next to her crossbow and looked all around for anything that neeed to be shot, but found no viable targets.

At last, they were ready to ascend the stairs...

• Brohoof 1

@Raven Rawne

Peony was getting ready to take her first step up the stone steps when Natural called out for a break. What she said made sense and Peony left the step to head over to her instead. "Recon you got a point there love. We might not like what is inside and need to vacate in a hurried state." Peony enjoyed the simple lunch that they had. Still preferred the food back at home, but being tired all the time made the simple food taste better at least.

Peony kept looking up at the top of the temple the whole time she was eating. Thinking to herself that she was so close to getting the Eternal Bloom flower. All the ponies she could cure with those petals. "So what do you recon we will discover inside. Besides the flower of course. Flower here said it could feel the flowers inside. Apparently there is a whole garden of them wait'n deep inside this temple.

• Brohoof 1

@Nightmare Season

The mint mare glanced at her employer, who decided to muse aloud on what lies ahead, and shrugged as she finished her sandwich. "Honestly? No idea. I'm not an ancient ruin exploring type, but it's fair to assume that there may be rubble, unstable stones, collapsed stairs and all the stuff you'd expect from a building that was abandoned a long time ago. Also... it's not out of the question that something made the place it's home, though I see no evidence of that so far. Still, a building is much cozier than a cave so, who knows."

She looked up at the entrance atop a flight of stairs, unsure what mysteries it may contain. "Feeling rested a bit? We should at least check the first few rooms out today, for safety if anything. After that, we can continue the exploration tomorrow if you want." The mare stood up and put away her plate, then stretched thoroughtly, finding the excercise very enjoyable. Finally, Natural Order scooped the plate and packed it away in the wagon, and took out the axe and machete. "Take your pick, miss Peony, just in case."

• Brohoof 1

@Raven Rawne

Peony looked at her two options, axe or machete. "Umm sweety I hate to say this. I fear that I am a non-combatant. Wouldn't know what do do with these things. Might even hurt myself more than anyth'n we might come across, or mayhapes even you." Peony walked away from the weapons offered to her. She then went over to to the steps to wait for Natural. When the two were ready, despite Natural frustrated she refused to fight, they started to head up the steps slowly.

When they reached the top, they discovered a doorway leading into the temple. Natural went in first, mostly to keep the unarmed mare safe. At the other end of the hall way they found themselves in, it opened up into a large room. Skylights allowed the sun to shine through. Pictographs all along the walls told the two they found the right place. Peony ran over to one of the drawings and pointed it out. "This is what we need to find. The Eternal Flower. Flower says she feels them close by."

They looked around till Natural discovered a trap door area. It was locked and sealed tight. Peony went over to look at it as well. "This must be it, Flower tells my they are right below here." The two looked all around for a means to open up the door that would lead down. The only thing they discovered was five pedestals that circled the door in the floor.

Natural was the first to discover each one had different writing on them. She read them;

"Blue poison that dose not kill, yet has a laugh in the end"

"A bloom that gives you a nap time, rather you want to or not"

"A heart to lead you to your desires"

"A sun to give you giggles all day"

"A relaxing time with the petals for the day"

Peony was on the edge of the room looking up at the different flowers painted on the walls and ceiling. After Natural read each one she called over to Peony. "What you find dear?"

• Brohoof 1

@Nightmare Season

"O-kkaaaay..." - The mint mare seemed unamused as her companion turned down the offer to arm herself, and simply tossed the axe back into the wagon with a loud thud. Then,  she came up to the stairs, holding the machete in her mouth and giving Peony a cold look as they ascended the stairs.

They reached the top and nothing bad happened so far. There was an entrance to the temple proper, wide enough for a single pony to enter at once. No scratch marks, or fur, or bones laying around was a good sign but still, Natural Order came in first to investigate and fight if needs be. As expected, there was no room to wield the crossbow there and besides,  one shot would be all she had in the first place. The hallway they entered was rather dim compared to the sunny day outside,  and themare paused to blink several times and help her eyes adjust. Only then did they proceed, with caucion.

The hallway ended with a single, large room. Thanks to skylights the interior was sufficiently lit, but there didn't seem to be any way further... Natural allowed herself to lower her guard and look around as Peony rushed to the nearest wall and point at a pictogram of some strange flower. The earth pony looked back and nodded. "Welp, seems we're in the right place. Sort of..." She decided to look around, maybe there was some hidden passage in there.

Staring at the walls revealed nothing. No buttons or even door sized slabs in the wall. At some point the mare heard a different sound under her hoof and paid attention to the floor. The large tile she stepped on looked slightly different, andthere has to be empty space under it, since hoofsteps gave an echoing sound.  "What do we have here..." - Natural murmured as she looked around the trapdoor for clues. Peony seemed to be occupied with the walls still. "Hey, found something. Might be our way in." She pointed at the tile to show it to Peony and noticed a circular tile not far from her. Gazing around, they discovered four more of these circular tiles that seemed to be placed around the trapdoor.  She decided to take a closer look at each and,  to her surprise, they had sentences stenciled onto them.  Though faded by hooves and time,  she managed to read them and, by the look of it,  it was some sort of puzzle?

"Seems we found the way in, but it's not that easy I'm the end.  Have a look." She waited for Peony to come over and pointed at the circles with a hoof. "I think it's a puzzle of sorts. Has to be. Each of those tiles has something written on them,  but it doesn't make sense to me. It's like... if we guess right what they mean and put those things on the tiles,  the doors will unlock. Or so I think. Read it in a book once." The mare looked at the walls for answers but, there were only flowers there!

She scratched her head with a hoof,  thinking out loud. "Blue poison... a bloom... a heart... and sun too... ugh the last one makes the least sense! So much for a quick trip, I never liked puzzles..."

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@Raven Rawne

Peony heard Natural call her over. A promising entrance to the eternal bloom. She went over to each and read the inscriptions. "Hmmm. Interesting sweaty" She thought a bit and looked around. A few seconds latter she spotted a clue to the riddles.

"Flowers! They are each talk'n about a different flower. Like the ones painted on the walls. The circle on the pedestals....I believe we need each flower in a pot on each one. The poison one, I do believe that is the poison joke that grows in the Everfree forest. This one here....I think it is the Heart's Desire flower."

Peony went over to the different flowers on the walls and looked up at them. She pointed out the ones she knew to show her what they look like. Two she did not know at the moment. She looked around each of the murals. The ones she knew was correct, she noticed a switch in one of them and pushed it. A beam of light shot out to the corresponding pedestal, but with nothing sitting on it, the light faded away. "It seems, we do indeed need to seek out each of these flowers. And here I was hop'n it would be just come her and get the Eternal Bloom. Not suppos'n you would help me find these flowers and bring them back here?" Peony asked her companion.

Edited by Nightmare Season
  • Brohoof 1

@Nightmare Season

The mint mare grumbled something incoherent at the other mare's remark, and blankly stared at the walls as if they would point her to the right direction.

The sudden outburst from her employer rattled Natural who clings to her machete as if in danger, then loosened up, seeing Peony was on to something. She deadpanned at the obvious. "How void it not be flowers, I guess." She stood in her designated spot as the unicorn walked and pointed around. The sudden pillar of light, seemingly out of nowhere startled her again, but she heard the switch mechanism grind as it retracted from the wall and had her answer. Why she didn't see that thing earlier? Natural walked to the, no longer illuminated pedestal and sighed.

Well our contract stated the job ends when I get you back home, and since you probably won't now, then I guess, I'm in. By now your parents probably thought up I ponynapped you or something so it's not like I can just walk away either..." She started walking out of the temple. "Alright, time to cracking open the Flora atlas and make some notes. Be back soon okay?"

All in all, it took nearly ten minutes before the mare got back,  unarmed but lugging a big tome along with paper sheets and writing supplies - a dip pen and an inkwell. "There's my Atlas,  maybe you'll find the missing flowers there. I sure hope so. I'll write down the riddles in case we need them later. And mark the temple on the map,  property this time."

Natural Order dropped the brick on the floor, making a dust storm around it. When she stopped coughing,  she moved to the pedestals and sat down to write down the riddles.

• Brohoof 1