Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming The Nintendo Switch; What would convince you to buy one?

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

nintendoswitch_thumb.jpg

The Nintendo Switch has apparently been breaking sales records left and right, having both Brazil's and France's most successful launch of any video game system. The system has been selling like crazy and clearly that means a lot of people truly wanted one.

Me, I have always been on the opposite side of this fence and have been very, very doubtful on the console. Whether it be the sheer lack of titles in the foreseeable future or the limitations, I simply have not been convinced getting one is worth it. I know I am not the only one in that group.

HOWEVER! This thread won't focus on that, just needed to establish the basics. This thread is about those like me that are not convinced to get one, and what WOULD convince us to purchase the Switch. Would there be anything specific that would be enough to convince you? A game, feature, or anything in between.

While this may not convince outright because I seriously have a doubtful viewpoint on the thing, what would help out a lot would be them announcing new Wario titles for the system. Wario Land and WarioWare are perfect for a system like this and even a sequel to Wario World would be a big deal. If they ever announce those I will actually start to have the urge to get a system just for those. The character needs a lot more love lately.

wario-ware-switch-2-555x434.jpg

Why can't this be REAL? They could also make the cartridge taste like garlic to really seal the deal.

• Brohoof 3

Honestly, for me, more  Backwards compatibility, Dropping the price, Making it actually available where I live. The common complaint that there are not enough games isn't really a thing because I really want botw. I guess it's just Nintendo making it easier and cheaper to access.

Like all consoles,tons of good games.

And, well, they already announced No More Heroes 3 for it, so chances are I will buy the thing down the line

Wario Ware on switch would honestly probably sell me haha, im going to end up getting a switch irregardless, im a full on nintendo fan, but there are some titles that would really reel me in.Odyssey looks great

First:to pass a year or two to avoid the red light of death and the blue light of doom bullshit

Second: wait IF there'll be more good games. With the track record of it's previous gens, I have my doubts

If I had more money on hand.

Really; I need to save up some money for myself and buying a Switch, Pro Controller, Screen Protector, and Zelda just isn't cost efficient for me right now or else I'd dive in. :P

I would buy it if they meet the following criteria:

#1 Lower the price to, AT LEAST, 250 USD

#2 Come out with a "new" version of it with better battery life, and greater CPU/ GPU power

#3 Sort out all the manufacturing issues people have been complaining about

#4 Have a library of worthwhile games on the thing (Mario Odyssey, Pikmin 4, Xenoblade 2, a main-line Pokemon game, etc)

^So, basically, I will buy it about 2-3 years down the line (just like I did with the Wii U).

I think a hardware revision is a given at this point considering how successful the revised 3ds lines have been.

Edited by ChocolateCrane

While I am aware that the Nintendo Switch might not have many games out for it right now, has some issues, and everything else that has been said about it, I have no regrets getting one--pre-ordering proved essential since they are hard to find right now.

Nothing.

If the S6 finale killed my hype for MLP to me, the Nintendo E3 2015 was what killed my hype for Nintendo. I started recovering past great Nintendo games since then and (excluding an half dozen of Gamecube games for which I.... don't have any way to play them and.... buying all the necessary and the games selfs costs an eye so I pass on them) the last month I finally concluded my retrieve, and even it happened for mere coincidence I also managed to quit Nintendo with one of their best games ever: Zelda Breath of the Wild. From now on I'll just occasionally replay their good from the fun for mindless fun when I get the wish of replaying them. The Nintendo I knew and loved is gone, and with it most of gaming in general. Now I barely rely on Steam to get like what... 2-3 good games similar to their style at year. Yeah, I'm not anymore in gaming as I used to be (if not at all) since Nintendo fallen badly....

In any case I don't care anymore anyway. I'm fine in going on only with occasional replays.

Edited by Sly

Honestly, for me, more  Backwards compatibility, Dropping the price, Making it actually available where I live. The common complaint that there are not enough games isn't really a thing because I really want botw. I guess it's just Nintendo making it easier and cheaper to access.

Basically, it needs more time to establish itself properly.

I am already happy with the line up of games that are coming, but I would really like it if it also had a virtual console like a wii and wii u.

You can say what you want about the Wii u, but i really liked their VC library, as i have 95 games for it. And buying them (for a almost nothing if i already bought them) for the switch would be great, if i can take them with me on the go.

Also, if they bring out a VC, besides NES, SNES, N64, GBA and DS games, i would also like to see Gamecube games being released so i can play Metroid Prime on the go. :P

• Brohoof 1

I am already happy with the line up of games that are coming, but I would really like it if it also had a virtual console like a wii and wii u.

You can say what you want about the Wii u, but i really liked their VC library, as i have 95 games for it. And buying them (for a almost nothing if i already bought them) for the switch would be great, if i can take them with me on the go.

Also, if they bring out a VC, besides NES, SNES, N64, GBA and DS games, i would also like to see Gamecube games being released so i can play Metroid Prime on the go. :P

Gamecube VC has been confirmed. There's just no new info on it yet.

Gamecube VC has been confirmed. There's just no new info on it yet.

That's atleast something. So there is more that i can look forward to.

I always thought that the Gamecube was one of the most underrated consoles ever.

Getting rid of paid multiplayer would be a huge contributing factor. Yes, I know you don't have to pay now, but you will eventually.

I would buy it if they meet the following criteria:

#1 Lower the price to, AT LEAST, 250 USD

#2 Come out with a "new" version of it with better battery life, and greater CPU/ GPU power

#3 Sort out all the manufacturing issues people have been complaining about

#4 Have a library of worthwhile games on the thing (Mario Odyssey, Pikmin 4, Xenoblade 2, a main-line Pokemon game, etc)

^So, basically, I will buy it about 2-3 years down the line (just like I did with the Wii U).

I think a hardware revision is a given at this point considering how successful the revised 3ds lines have been.

1. I think $300 is a fair price, but I expect a price drop to $250 in the future.
  2. It's widely believed that the Switch is using Nvidia's Tegra X1 chip, which for a mobile processor is the best they have to offer. It's also used in their Shield TV.
  3. With the massive oversights and cheapening out, Nintendo might have to re-tool the Switch, and that would take some time.
  4. They'll have games! They'll totally have games! Nintendo are totally warming up to 3rd-party devs now! It's totally not going to be like the Wii and Wii U anymore! He lies.

It's widely believed that the Switch is using Nvidia's Tegra X1 chip, which for a mobile processor is the best they have to offer. It's also used in their Shield TV.

Quoted from Ars Technica:

"The Nintendo Switch—the hybrid portable games console/tablet due for release in March 2017—will be powered by Nvidia's older Tegra X1 SoC and not its upcoming Tegra X2 "Parker" SoC as initially rumoured.

The use of Tegra X1, which also powers the Nvidia Shield Android TV, means the graphics hardware inside the Switch is based on Nvidia's older second-generation Maxwell architecture, rather than the latest Pascal architecture."

And confirmation ala Digital Foundry:

^In other words, the chip the Switch is using is nowhere near top of the line mobile chip. It's basically two generations old for Nvidia's mobile GPUs. Personally, I don't think this console is worth anywhere near what they are selling it for, considering what you are getting.

Edited by ChocolateCrane

@@ChocolateCrane, The Tegra X1 is based on the GM20B (Maxwell) architecture, so only previous generation.

Still, it's not "the best they have to offer" as you said in your previous post.

Hell, we have paper thin gaming laptops out nowadays with GTX 1060's, we shouldn't have to settle for this trash hardware. And yes, battery efficiency and thermals are a priority in these laptops. If you ask me, the Switch should have at bare least had something like a 1050 Ti; which is a budget mobile card btw. Nintendo never ceases to amaze at how many corners they can cut to give the consumer the middle finger -.- And what's worse, their fans eat it up...

Personally, I think the Wii U was far superior to either the Wii or the Switch (as of now). At least Nintendo put a little effort into the hardware components of the Wii U, which allowed for amazing visual spectacles like Xenoblade Chronicles X that could actually compete with Sony and Microsoft's offerings (on the Ps3 and 360). With the Switch, Nintendo has become so regressive they cannot even keep up with the base Ps4 or even Xbox One despite this being their "next gen" system. With the Ps4 Pro and Scorpio's existence, the Switch seems like a system wallowing in its own obsolescence. (I long for the day Nintendo finally wakes up and delivers their long time fans a product with some actual integrity behind it)