Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does the Brushables line lack variety?

ManaMinori

G4, the animation is the cake and the toys are the toppings. In short, everything is tied to and depends on the animation, thus the same ponies get churned out over and over again. IG4, the animation is the cake and the toys are the toppings. In short, everything is tied to and depends on the animation, thus the same ponies get churned out over and over again. And that's probably the problem, because a series can only go on so long before people run out of ideas. The same is obviously true of a toy line, but a toy line stifled by a TV series is in my opinion problematic.

G1 had the freedom to be what it was because the animation is literally just there to advertise the toys. With G4, the relationship is much more complex.

It is small children driving the pony line, but that doesn't mean small children are stupid or that they only buy the mane six over and over again. I'll reiterate what I said before, but I have seen kids in the UK who are looking through the ponies for specific characters, or who are very clear and articulate on what they want and why. The ponies that do not sell well here are often the Mane 6 varieties. I don't know how to rationalise that with the success of the toy line, but I would suggest that it is related to the fact Hasbro is putting less money into production and character creation, thus can take a bigger risk on mane six not selling.

It makes sense for the main characters to be universally available in each sort of release because of the show being the "cake" in G4, but it is puzzling there are not more other characters available.

The variety of ponies in blind bags but ONLY in blind bags suggests that perhaps Hasbro just isn't convinced that people actually Want non-mane6 characters? characters?

In short, instead of relying on repeated releases of mainly mane6 and princesses with additional gimmicks, should Brushables have the variety of the blind bags, in more frequency?

• Brohoof 2

In short, instead of relying on repeated releases of mainly mane6 and princesses with additional gimmicks, should Brushables have the variety of the blind bags, in more frequency?

More variety would be nice, yes. I don't think it makes sense to do so AND limit the mane six figures though. Hasbro knows the general desire of kids is to own a show's main characters, though exceptions do arise (ex: Boba Fett).

It is hard to convince someone in Hasbro to take risks in mass production of unproven characters in their main line for any franchise. They've done ok with the Star Wars line, but two factors exists that Hasbro has to contend with, a greater ratio of adult collectors, and the fact they don't own the IP. Even so, you will always find boxes shipped with a greater ratio for characters that sell or test better.

One option is to make some chase figures to increase interest and still cater to the collector crowd.

Most definitely. Too many main characters, very few others and when they do they're in short supply. I never did find those Pearlies, the headband set had a couple of characters that I wanted, I never found the water cutie princesses or Blossomforth in stores and I was fortunate to get Celestia through a trade with a friend.

Also no boys aside from Prince Shining Armor. His troll doll hair pisses me off. It wouldn't kill Hasbro to make boy ponies with proper brushable hair like they used to. I would have loved to have Thunder Lane, Royal Riff, Twilight Sky and Comet Tail with real hair but nope. Hasbro needs to make more characters like they used to. Don't know why they won't? Its always worked for them before.

Kids do like variety, Hasbro saying otherwise is just them being a bunch of lazy asses.

Edited by Leave a Whisper
  • Brohoof 3

More variety would be nice, yes. I don't think it makes sense to do so AND limit the mane six figures though. Hasbro knows the general desire of kids is to own a show's main characters, though exceptions do arise (ex: Boba Fett).

It is hard to convince someone in Hasbro to take risks in mass production of unproven characters in their main line for any franchise. They've done ok with the Star Wars line, but two factors exists that Hasbro has to contend with, a greater ratio of adult collectors, and the fact they don't own the IP. Even so, you will always find boxes shipped with a greater ratio for characters that sell or test better.

One option is to make some chase figures to increase interest and still cater to the collector crowd.

if blind bags are sold to the target audience (pink aisle), and have a much wider variety than brushable do, isn't it only common sense to see that the kiddies WANT more characters, and that putting more of them in brushable form isn't really as big a risk as whoever is head of marketing might think?
  • Brohoof 2

if blind bags are sold to the target audience (pink aisle), and have a much wider variety than brushable do, isn't it only common sense to see that the kiddies WANT more characters, and that putting more of them in brushable form isn't really as big a risk as whoever is head of marketing might think?

Correct. As I said and as you already know, Hasbro knows damn well variety works. ;)

It works with past pony gens, it works with Transformers and Littlest Pet Shop.

It works with other toylines like Monster High and Shopkins.

Yes it does lack variety big time. G1,G2, and G3 has being keeping it tradition by selling waves of different characters. So i don't understand why they're lacking variety. 

• Brohoof 3

That's not variety. That's giving us the bajillion and tenth version of the same characters. We're speaking of lack of character variety.

Besides the merponies have main six variants.

It is variety in body type :o The Mane6 sea ponies look way different than their standard incarnations.

post-39892-0-42242300-1490219549.jpeg

Edited by ChocolateCrane
  • Brohoof 1

I don't have any, but from what I've seen, yes they do seem to have little variety. Brusables are not really my thing though. Also not a huge fan of the mane marterial, it gets tangly (I have a younger sibling who has them, and I may have snuck one to play with :dash:). I kind of wish they also had two cutie marks and actually looked like the character a but more.

That isn't the best comparison. The allure of blind bags doesn't exist in the brushable line ... risk psychology. Yes there are ways of figuring out what character is in the blind bag, but the parents and an eight year old don't focus on that. If risk didn't exist (you could easily see what you are buying), I suspect the main characters would likely be chosen over non main characters in similar quantities. The price also plays a factor as well.

I'm not saying I disagree that there should be more variety, but I want the company to still make proven business decisions. The mane six still need to be a focal point of the merch. Really bad choices in marketing, and product management, would impact the bottom line ... which has a cascading effect.

It is variety in body type :o The Mane6 sea ponies look way different than their standard incarnations.

sig-4840661.post-39892-0-42242300-149021

oh my God, no. Even if they have T-Rex bodies, mane6 are still mane6. We need ponies who's name's AREN'T Twilight, Rarity, Fluttershy, Apple Jack, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie.
  • Brohoof 1

oh my God, no. Even if they have T-Rex bodies, mane6 are still mane6. We need ponies who's name's AREN'T Twilight, Rarity, Fluttershy, Apple Jack, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie.

Well, I've been vouching for updates to Light Heart (from G2) and Minty (from G3) for years lol. This is at least something that will plausibly happen :o

Yes the poses are all the same except maybe one leg up time to time and the characters are all the same I can't tell you how many Twilight brushables I have found its a little excessive I understand they are promoting the show through the use of the mane 6 and the princesses, but variety will make more money in the long run for Hasbro due to fans are attracted to their favorite characters so seeing brushables of background characters and etc will make fans buy more I mean they could even make a brushable of the villains can you imagine a King Sombre , Lord Tirek and Discord brushables I know I'd buy them.

Most definitely. Too many main characters, very few others and when they do they're in short supply. I never did find those Pearlies, the headband set had a couple of characters that I wanted, I never found the water cutie princesses or Blossomforth in stores and I was fortunate to get Celestia through a trade with a friend.

Also no boys aside from Prince Shining Armor. His troll doll hair pisses me off. It wouldn't kill Hasbro to make boy ponies with proper brushable hair like they used to. I would have loved to have Thunder Lane, Royal Riff, Twilight Sky and Comet Tail with real hair but nope. Hasbro needs to make more characters like they used to. Don't know why they won't? Its always worked for them before.

Kids do like variety, Hasbro saying otherwise is just them being a bunch of lazy asses.

I know how you feel when it comes to the figures you want not being in stores its a pain in the butt and I also agree that Shining Armor does have troll hair it made me laugh it looks so stupid back with generation 1 and 2 the males had the same mane and tail as the females so there is no reason as to why Hasbro could not give him normal hair their just lazy knowing they'll make money off it so they figure why bother.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 23.03.2017 at 8:27 PM, Leave a Whisper said:

Also no boys aside from Prince Shining Armor. His troll doll hair pisses me off. It wouldn't kill Hasbro to make boy ponies with proper brushable hair like they used to. I would have loved to have Thunder Lane, Royal Riff, Twilight Sky and Comet Tail with real hair but nope.

THISSS.

When I was a kid, I imagined half of my pony figures as boys because I enjoyed playing families with them (my model pony family had a mommy, a step daddy and two sons XD)

Don't kids play families with their toys these days? Where's a proper Cake family set? Or a Big Mac brushable that kids could pair with a Cherilee figure? I know there are very little male characters in the show to begin with, but... come on. The few guys in the show deserve some representation in the toy line! XD

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)
On 5/6/2017 at 5:52 PM, Powderpuff said:

Just curious, is the quote in the OP from Taffeta at the Arena? That sounds like her sage, UK-based wisdom :)

I think that may be Taffeta's. She does have a very recognizable writing style. 

And yes, we do need variety in poses again too.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
(edited)

It also lacks in set creativity. Now to be fair, when a franchise has been around for 30+ years, it's going to recycle some ideas and not get very many new ones.

Some of the repeated themes I can think of have been articulated ponies, Twice as Fancies which you guys know as Cutie Mark Magic, Pearlies, blank ponies to customize, Super Hero ponies, talking ponies, hair color changing ponies, even if it was a McDonalds set and the gimmick didn't work, sparkle ponies and glowing ponies.

The Water Cuties and Magic Scenes are the most creative sets I can think of these days. Oh and those icky beaded hair ponies. 

But this gen barely does that. Where are the distinct sets?  The scented ponies, the flocked ponies, the jeweled ponies,  the holiday ponies, the color changing ponies, the magic message ponies, pony families and rainbow ponies.

Why do so few have more then two hair colors? 

I think they blew most of their creativity in G3.

It's not the worst gen for set variety and creativity though. It does have some. It also has a wide variety of species in its toyline which is good and I'm glad it has gender diversity  better spread out among the species.

Gen 2 from what I've seen, has two species, (possibly 3 if you count the magic flying unicorns) and not much in the way of distinct sets that I can tell, please correct me if I'm wrong. It does have some highly unusual and beautiful color schemes and symbols. 

• Brohoof 1

On 7/15/2017 at 8:27 AM, Leave a Whisper said:

It also lacks in set creativity. Now to be fair, when a franchise has been around for 30+ years, it's going to recycle some ideas and not get very many new ones.

Some of the repeated themes I can think of have been articulated ponies, Twice as Fancies which you guys know as Cutie Mark Magic, Pearlies, blank ponies to customize, Super Hero ponies, talking ponies, hair color changing ponies, even if it was a McDonalds set and the gimmick didn't work, sparkle ponies and glowing ponies.

The Water Cuties and Magic Scenes are the most creative sets I can think of these days. Oh and those icky beaded hair ponies. 

But this gen barely does that. Where are the distinct sets?  The scented ponies, the flocked ponies, the jeweled ponies,  the holiday ponies, the color changing ponies, the magic message ponies, pony families and rainbow ponies.

Why do so few have more then two hair colors? 

I think they blew most of their creativity in G3.

It's not the worst gen for set variety and creativity though. It does have some. It also has a wide variety of species in its toyline which is good and I'm glad it has gender diversity  better spread out among the species.

Gen 2 from what I've seen, has two species, (possibly 3 if you count the magic flying unicorns) and not much in the way of distinct sets that I can tell, please correct me if I'm wrong. It does have some highly unusual and beautiful color schemes and symbols. 

ironically, it would seem that g1 was the most creative out of the gens, as far as merchandise was concerned.