Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Anypony else play Paladins?

Nerdy Luigi

50 minutes ago, In Loving Memory said:

This game, quite frankly, is NOT an Overwatch clone/ripoff. It has several differences, including the setting, the cards, the items... This game was also in development before Overwatch was, too... The attitude in that statement reminds me of when I last talked about League. Seriously, I may sound like a hypocrite here, but I don't like the negativity.

Balancing-wise, this game isn't too bad, though there are some champions that need buffing (Grover in particular), but, honestly, it's not as bad as League is about it and that game's been out for 8 years, and this game's only been in open beta since September of last year.

From what I understand, this game was in development first, but it was originally going to be a different style of game and not some very Overwatch-like team based game. Overwatch, while I feel that game is overrated as all hell, clearly influenced how Paladins is being developed and it is suffering from many of the same problems like balance issues, boring map design and repetition.

• 2 weeks later...

Want to say this as well, Skye is ruining this goddamn game for me. She is already so insanelu overpowered with her basic attacks but her ultimate has barely any balance whatsoever. Apparently the devs are so stupid that they don't see that.

Skye and Maeve are the two most unbalanced characters in the game. Anytime I hear 'An enemy is unstoppable!' It is always one of them

I've been consdering trying it out, is it any good? Any suggestions?

18 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

Want to say this as well, Skye is ruining this goddamn game for me. She is already so insanelu overpowered with her basic attacks but her ultimate has barely any balance whatsoever. Apparently the devs are so stupid that they don't see that.

Skye and Maeve are the two most unbalanced characters in the game. Anytime I hear 'An enemy is unstoppable!' It is always one of them

I hear she's considered ridiculous on console and lower level PC play (and downright worthless in competitive PC), but from my experience, buying Illuminate helps out quite a bit.

Maeve is also somewhat the same way. Apparently far better on console than on PC (She's considered lower tier on PC). Almost makes me think they need to fix some things on consoles to make the experience work even somewhat similarly on both like Overwatch does.

2 hours ago, Nico said:

I've been consdering trying it out, is it any good? Any suggestions?

Have to say the game is pretty good in my opinion. I can also say it's player base is less toxic than League's is from my own personal experiences with both games (I thought of going back in to play LoL recently, but I had ridiculous FPS drops when I was even running Low-Spec mode...).

Suggestions as to who to play, assumably? I mean I'd say Barik as he is my main, but he's not the most noob-friendly champion, as he requires a pretty decent understanding of the game to get the hang of. I mean there's Viktor if you want to DPS and be able to do things just by having decent aim, Pip if you plan to play healers (though he's not particularly good at solo healing teams), Skye for flankers (That is, if you just feel like blowing lower-level players out of the water by doing nothing but exploiting their lack of understanding of the game's item system), and there's Fernando for tanks, I guess, since he comes with the game. Though on that note, he's not considered to be a great tank in the PC meta.

9 hours ago, Barik the Luigineer said:

I hear she's considered ridiculous on console and lower level PC play (and downright worthless in competitive PC), but from my experience, buying Illuminate helps out quite a bit.

Maeve is also somewhat the same way. Apparently far better on console than on PC (She's considered lower tier on PC). Almost makes me think they need to fix some things on consoles to make the experience work even somewhat similarly on both like Overwatch does.

Have to say the game is pretty good in my opinion. I can also say it's player base is less toxic than League's is from my own personal experiences with both games (I thought of going back in to play LoL recently, but I had ridiculous FPS drops when I was even running Low-Spec mode...).

Suggestions as to who to play, assumably? I mean I'd say Barik as he is my main, but he's not the most noob-friendly champion, as he requires a pretty decent understanding of the game to get the hang of. I mean there's Viktor if you want to DPS and be able to do things just by having decent aim, Pip if you plan to play healers (though he's not particularly good at solo healing teams), Skye for flankers (That is, if you just feel like blowing lower-level players out of the water by doing nothing but exploiting their lack of understanding of the game's item system), and there's Fernando for tanks, I guess, since he comes with the game. Though on that note, he's not considered to be a great tank in the PC meta.

I'm fine with the playerbase being toxic since I am too decently toxic, sadly:D:D

I like an assassin type of playstyle when it comes to characters, preferably stealth, or just something you can appear out of nowhere with and oneshot people. For example, in league, my favorite champs were  shaco, twitch and panth.

14 hours ago, Barik the Luigineer said:

Hi Rez studios are too stupid to realise what balance is. They are focused entirely on pumping out character after character without ever properly testing them so they can feel like they are better than Overwatch. 'Look at all of these unbalanced, shitty, generic characters with horrendous voice acting! Suck it Overwatch even though we are trying to be you!'

(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 3:39 AM, Nico said:

I'm fine with the playerbase being toxic since I am too decently toxic, sadly:D:D

I like an assassin type of playstyle when it comes to characters, preferably stealth, or just something you can appear out of nowhere with and oneshot people. For example, in league, my favorite champs were  shaco, twitch and panth.

There really isn't a lot of stealth in the game at the moment, but I guess Skye is a decent fit because she doesn't have two invis abilities. For a Panth player, thugh, Buck might also be a decent fit being that he's kind of a tanky assassin like Panth is. Though Evie might be a good for with her Blink ability that's basically like a longer range Flash, and she also can do pretty massive amounts of damage with her weapon (bound to LMB on PC by default). Androxus has pretty good mobility though, with Nether step which basically gives him 3 dashes in any direction (even upwards). It can be used to go to the backline without actually even going through the map itself. It also serves as a pretty decent juke. He can also float in mid-air if he holds the jump key/button (which is bound to Spacebar on PC by default). Though you may end up finding your mains here much different than in League.

With Barik, part of what worked for me was his blunderbuss. It kind of works like Graves' shotgun, except it does less damage in comparison (In my later games, I played a lot of Graves in top lane, because I can't jungle too well). Though I actually originally was absolutely terrible with him when I first started to play him, and now I've got playing him down to an art form (I've got him to Platinum as of this post, though I feel like I could get to Diamond). Though, I can say supporting in this game for me is a lot more interesting than it is in League, because there are Supports who actually have pretty high damage output.

Edited by PathfinderCS
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:19 AM, Barik the Luigineer said:

There really isn't a lot of stealth in the game at the moment, but I guess Skye is a decent fit because she doesn't have two invis abilities. For a Panth player, thugh, Buck might also be a decent fit being that he's kind of a tanky assassin like Panth is. Though Evie might be a good for with her Blink ability that's basically like a longer range Flash, and she also can do pretty massive amounts of damage with her weapon (bound to LMB on PC by default). Androxus has pretty good mobility though, with Nether step which basically gives him 3 dashes in any direction (even upwards). It can be used to go to the backline without actually even going through the map itself. It also serves as a pretty decent juke. He can also float in mid-air if he holds the jump key/button (which is bound to Spacebar on PC by default). Though you may end up finding your mains here much different than in League.

With Barik, part of what worked for me was his blunderbuss. It kind of works like Graves' shotgun, except it does less damage in comparison (In my later games, I played a lot of Graves in top lane, because I can't jungle too well). Though I actually originally was absolutely terrible with him when I first started to play him, and now I've got playing him down to an art form (I've got him to Platinum as of this post, though I feel like I could get to Diamond). Though, I can say supporting in this game for me is a lot more interesting than it is in League, because there are Supports who actually have pretty high damage output.

Thanks for the informative reply. I will definitely look into the game in the near future.

Edited by Guest

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:19 AM, Barik the Luigineer said:

This is you right now:

I find it better to be salty than blindly defend a game that has numerous problems out the ass. 

While I won't accuse anyone of getting angry or the like, I will remind people to tone down their rhetoric. A number of posts had to either be edited or outright hidden because they contributed to a situation that was proving to be a bit too toxic. As such I implore you to be careful what you say and if it looks like things are getting too hot; back down or else such hostilities will be dealt with by us in other ways including PMs or warnings.

Please keep that in mind. We want to be a community that avoids such rhetoric.

Thank you.

• Brohoof 1

• 6 months later...

I can't believe I'm bumping this thread, but I am.

Not streaming (basically for sure), but I'm going to start playing the game again after OB67 drops, because no more Cards Unbound (was a terribly, $#!^^* system that really was nothing but a P2W downgrade of the old game that required insane amounts of grinding), and FERNANDO'S FACE IS BACK IN HIS FREAKING SPLASH ART. Also helps that the new system they're implementing is literally just s straight-up improvement to the old one (though 'm concerned about gold and champion levels becoming too EASY to get)!

Plus, I have to show some people that the meme about Barik being bottom tier is totally and completely unjustified, that Barik can still win games as he has in the past, even after Cards Unbound ended up nerfing his cards into oblivion.

Edited by Classic Meme
Trying to avoid a double-post, so I'm updating this post. to be current

• 1 month later...
On 3/5/2018 at 8:21 PM, Mystic Brush said:

too many hackers/toxic people now.

I got grouped up with people who didn't speak English which made teamwork hard.

Mostly eveything is PTW win now.

Never had a big issues with hackers, but toxicity was a bit ridiculous. I got banned from the official forums for almost no reason, and the subreddit... Literally the worst community I've ever been in. Biased mods, trolls who make attack posts because they don't agree with you...  At least the Steam community seems decent.

That can be an issue at times... A lot of Spanish. Probably because they don't really put Mexico in the right server.

OB67 changed that, sort of. Got rid of Cards Unbound from OB64. The patch is so good in general 'll probably get back into it (hadn't played since before Vivian released). 

• 2 months later...

By the way, the game was officially released a week ago. Apparently, for some reason they decided to not release an actual patch with the official release of the game, when the game sorely needed a few changes before release. Considering how Cauterize is still way too strong, bugs are rampant, and there are quite a few other problems, it's safe to say that they should have at least went through with a couple more patches beforehand. Really doesn't help that they told the community THE WEEK BEFORE. They should have at least revealed the release a month before it happened, and given some time to generate feedback about urgent balancing problems and game-breaking bugs before leaving beta development. They only did it so early apparently so they could get a Switch port (as Nintendo will not release Early Access games on the Switch). I can see why they'd do that, considering that Overwatch doesn't really have a Switch port, and it would also make for more publicity for the game itself. 

Don't get me wrong, it's nice the game is finally out of beta. But it still really bothers me that Hi-Rez pushed it forward a bit too far. I mean, as I've mentioned before, the game has serious issues that may not really sit well with new players. I'm hoping that Hi-Rez will listen to their community more in the future (even if a good few of the suggestions they have for the game are questionable and don't seem entirely based on actual in-game experience). I'm also hoping that it doesn't just become another Smite, but I don't think it will considering that the game's only competitors are Overwatch and TF2. Overwatch's population is much smaller than League of Legends, and actually slowly decreasing (League is only one of Smite's competitors. 4 games in the same genre are bigger than Smite is). TF2's population has been a bit stagnant since it sharply rose after the Jungle Inferno update, but it should decrease in the future. TF2 at the moment only has 3 times as many players as Overwatch does on Steam. Of course I mention this because it must be noted that people actually play Paladins on console.

• 4 months later...

I've played Paladins a bit and it can be pretty fun. I haven't touched the game in over a year, but I might re-download it and give it another shot.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...