Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Advice on making plushies?

ManaMinori

I have been thinking about trying to create merch, rather than settling for less than stellar quality of plushies, which can also allow me to own plushies of characters that don't get love from official licensing. Problem is, I don't know where to start. I don't know how to sew or make patterns, what material I should be using, what other tools I might need, or how much I would expect to spend on it all. (Or even if making my own plush would be cheaper or more expensive than trying to commission one from someone experienced).

Help?

• 2 months later...
(edited)

If you have no sewing knowledge, I would suggest getting them from someone with experience. I do clothing, costumes, and even corsets on commission, and I generally stay away from making plushies.  I found an excellent artist on etsy when I was looking for a Gummy.  I will get you the link if you like.  The plushies she makes have a lot of machine embroidery.  This is one big reason why I avoid making plushies, and why hand-made ones are expensive.  The sewing machines that are required to do the embroidery required need to be able to interface with a computer.  A good one that will last starts in the $900 range and goes up from there. I've seen some that cost over $3,000.  I have a nice sewing machine and a serger for professional quality, and even my machine investments are around $2,000, and that's just the machines.   If you want to learn to sew, I would suggest a low end brother model machine, and start with basic patterns, or even try taking classes at joanne's.  Brother makes a very high quality machine and has an excellent warranty.  The only other starter machine I would recommend would be an older model that is in working condition from an estate sale or something like that.  The older machines don't have a lot of plastic parts like a lot of the new ones, so they don't break down.  My back up machine is older than I am and it works like a dream.  

Aside from the machines, you need thread, interfacing, stuffing (and the stuff that doesn't bunch up when you wash it isn't cheap,) pins, fabric, and other assorted sewing notions.  There is pattern making software, I haven't tried it yet but I want to.  I make my patterns with my experience and math. Like I said in another post I am always willing to chat.

Here is the link to the etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/listing/202719540/gummy-plushie-handmade-custom-plush?ref=pr_faveitems

Edited by Pinkie_Pi
  • Brohoof 1