Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Welcome to MLP Forums 2.0

Lavo

Hello All! :pinkie:

As you may very well have seen, over the past 24 hours the site has been down. I've been hard at work upgrading the forum from IPB 3 to IPB 4.

Now, there's a lot that has changed, wayy too many to document in this post, but we'll go over the major points.

• The editor has had a massive upgrade and should be much simpler to use.
  • BBCODE IS NO LONGER SUPPORTED
    • There's nothing we can do about this, unfortunately, I'm currently investigating the editors "source mode" for raw HTML editing, but I need to verify it's safe to hand out this functionality en-masse.
  • Profiles have had a massive face lift.
  • Responsive theme. (FINALLY SOMETHING THAT ISN'T A PILE OF POOP ON MOBILE )
  • During testing we decided to get rid of Lightwing, he's no longer part of the forums. RIP Lightwing.
  • utf8mb4 (Tech pones will get what this means ;))
  • Better looking emails
  • Your friends are now followers, this now follows a twitter style way of "Following" people and getting notifications of their content.
  • The autosave functionality on the editor got a super upgrade, it's now ultra durable. (Please don't find a way to make me regret saying this, I know ya'll are good at breaking stuff)
  • Oh yeah, remember that page that never worked because our forums was too large? The best content page? It works now <3 
    • This won't actually be available for a few days because we've got at least 3 days of IPB playing catchup with the forums and converting everything into the new format.

There's many more things I'll have forgotten, so be sure to look around stuff.

Things you should be aware of:

• Posts / Blogs / contents may not be formatted correctly
    • Check back in 3 days and see if it's still like that, it may not have run through the converter yet.
    • If it's still shows incorrectly, you might have some general reformatting to do because it appears as if the new version shows more whitespace than the previous one.
  • General Bugs
    • I've probably forgotten something somewhere, be sure to check, and if it's not in it already, post in the upgrade issues megathread about it and I'll get around to sorting it out.
  • Subscriber Perks
    • They're going to be a bit fuzzy over the next few days. If there's something that we've accidentally removed, or given to everyone we'll be working to restore those features to subscribers.
  • Ability to opt out of Adverts
    • We've had some difficulty re-implementing our option to disable adverts, unfortunately this isn't going to be working for a few days.

We're probably going to have a bumpy few days ahead of us with things being out of place and such, but with your help and patience we'll be able to smooth all those out and get back to our regularly scheduled MLPF fun.

If you encounter any issues from the IPB 4.0 upgrade, be sure to post it in here. (There will be a list of known issues in the first post so be sure to check it hasn't already been reported)

I'd like to thank all the staff of the forums for helping test this upgrade out before it reached you guys. You all rock :catface:

Let us know what you think of the upgrade :) 

• Brohoof 27

2 minutes ago, Lavo said:
  • During testing we decided to get rid of Lightwing, he's no longer part of the forums. RIP Lightwing.

Rude.

I'm still checking this thing as of now, but it looks nice! Also. *still lives*

• Brohoof 19

6ltHGR4.gif

The changes will take a little getting used to, but I'm sure familiarity will come with time -- and constant notification beeps!

Seriously, excellent work!

• Brohoof 5

3 minutes ago, Yellow Diamond said:

6ltHGR4.gif

The changes will take a little getting used to, but I'm sure familiarity will come with time -- and constant notification beeps!

Seriously, excellent work!

I'll probably always be an oldie 

CZuQjCh.gif

But hey, life finds a way

anigif_original-grid-image-26562-1430147

• Brohoof 3

This version of IPB is already being used for the Equestria Daily forums, so I'm at somewhat familiar with it. One thing that the EqD forums have that I'm looking forward to having here is that whenever multiple people reply to a topic you're subscribed to, you only get notified once until you read the new posts. I don't know how people here felt about getting notified about every post, but it would sometimes clog my feed, so I won't miss that.

Edited by PinkiePie97
  • Brohoof 1

Looks like someone ctrl-a'd the whole site and changed the row spacing to 2.5, ew. I also don't like that friends are replaced by followers, nor do I like circular avatars but whatever. ..Doesn't this take away the big avatar feature for subscribers? The menu looks decent now. I wish I could have my "about me" or friends list above the warning point window, it's ugly and too big. Guess I'll have to get used to this..

(jokuc doesn't like change)

• Brohoof 7

Holy Celstia there is a lot of white now.  Feels like I'm looking at a snow bank.  But so far it looks all right.  Is this the first time the forums has been changed like this?

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Corgis said:

Holy Celstia there is a lot of white now.  Feels like I'm looking at a snow bank.  But so far it looks all right.  Is this the first time the forums has been changed like this?

As in having a massive change, no. In 2013 the site got quite a bit of design changes. As in updated ipb version, yes, this is the first time.

• Brohoof 2

44 minutes ago, Lavo said:
  •  

24590906.jpg

I'm familiar with the software, so I've already formed an opinion on what they should improve on in their next version. As far as something you can do, the staff ... their badges don't line up right with the member badge underneath. That may need some adjustment to either badge image size, or the css. 

Overall, thank you for the upgrade. :D

• Brohoof 2

Looking pretty snazzy I'd say.

I am in agreement with a few posts above. It's really really white now, which I find just a tad annoying. But other than that I'm liking it.

• Brohoof 2

Actual issue, though - the white-on-light blue color scheme for page counts is really hard to read.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Quinch
  • Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, Quinch said:

Actual issue, though - the white-on-light blue color scheme for page counts is really hard to read.

Capture.PNG

I do agree there. Hopefully they can tweak the theme a little as they iron things out. 

• Brohoof 1

It's really not bad apart from the sudden lack of signatures and the profile pages. Apparently I lost my gender xD and my About Me section is invisible unless I try to edit it (in which case most of what I had on there before shows up). The layout is different but I'm certainly not lost. And status updates are better now, given that you can post and interact with them more like normal thread posts.

• Brohoof 1

Hot damn, you guys did a good job here.

Shame that previous status updates have been erased, but I suppose that's a price to pay.

If HTML editing is going to replace BBCode editing, I'd totally be all for that. BBCode is honestly a bit confusing, though I've memorized tons of stuff from HTML, so it'll be a lot easier to make things look nice.

2 minutes ago, Alphys Hedge said:

If HTML editing is going to replace BBCode editing, I'd totally be all for that.

<blink>Blink codes for everybody!!</blink>

Edit: Awwwwww.....

Edited by Quinch

6 minutes ago, Alphys Hedge said:

Shame that previous status updates have been erased, but I suppose that's a price to pay.

They're still there, but there's a massive backlog of things to be rebuilt, those are one of them. In about 3 days (which is how long it took when testing the upgrade) you will have a complete profile with historical items. 

3 minutes ago, Quinch said:

<blink>Blink codes for everybody!!</blink>

lol browsers removed those long ago

• Brohoof 3