Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Welcome to MLP Forums 2.0

Lavo

Not liking this update much at all. Firstly, it screwed up my signatures thread and now it isn't organized at all. So. there is that. On top of that, everything seems clunkier. Apparently the new topics thing is gone, the status aspect is drastically worse since we now have to click on an update to comment and then wait a bit for the text box to pop up. Kinda cool we can brohoof statuses and post emotes, but I don't care if it is far worse to use. There doesn't seem to be any major improvements either that I can tell.

Time will tell in the end on the final verdict but for now I have fairly negative impressions. So far it just seems like a downgrade more than anything.

• Brohoof 4

To be honest, I like the new style of the forums, especially that we can now attatch images to the status without sometimes needing to post on a bunch of threads.
But let's see more forward how will be.

Say_Uncle_Animation_Pearl_Insane.gif

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Lavo said:

They're still there, but there's a massive backlog of things to be rebuilt, those are one of them. In about 3 days (which is how long it took when testing the upgrade) you will have a complete profile with historical items. 

Oh, sweet!

To be honest, I think this update might make me come here more often now :D

• Brohoof 2

33 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

Not liking this update much at all. Firstly, it screwed up my signatures thread and now it isn't organized at all. So. there is that. On top of that, everything seems clunkier. Apparently the new topics thing is gone, the status aspect is drastically worse since we now have to click on an update to comment and then wait a bit for the text box to pop up. Kinda cool we can brohoof statuses and post emotes, but I don't care if it is far worse to use. There doesn't seem to be any major improvements either that I can tell.

Time will tell in the end on the final verdict but for now I have fairly negative impressions. So far it just seems like a downgrade more than anything.

Agreed, especially on what I underlined.

7 minutes ago, Deae Rising Shine~ said:

Banned Users are unbanned, Ichecked that on my fri-follower-list after having from like 298 to 332 user there

Hmmmm... This intrigues me... 

4 minutes ago, Miles said:

Agreed, especially on what I underlined.

Hmmmm... This intrigues me... 

Also, I once got - unfairly - banned from the Count to a million forumgame

I have free access and post possibility now, i could theoretically post there again

Hey, so I noticed the feature to click on a thread's replies and see just how many replies each specific person has made there is gone. Any real reason for that, or just something that seemed useless/was forgotten about? It's not a really important feature, but I thought it was kinda fun to keep track of in some things like forum games, where some people would end up with really high post counts and it felt a bit like a "Personal score" of sorts.

I see some things are still a little off here and there. When will the donation feature be back up. I tried to give a Subscriber Donation, but got stuck on an infinite loading wheel, and no transaction was charged to me(at least not to my knowledge yet).  Also, will it be possible to add HTML widgets to profile descriptions in the future. For example, a Discord server viewer.

Edited by Fleet Admiral Dash
  • Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Deae Rising Shine~ said:

There is one serious issue tough

Banned Users are unbanned, Ichecked that on my fri-follower-list after having from like 298 to 332 user there

That's definitely a serious issue. Hopefully it'll be revised soon though.

One quick thing I noticed (much less serious though): <a href="http://prntscr.com/eowde2" target="_blank">The website icon doesn't show up anymore.</a> The website icon doesn't show up anymore.

EDIT: Okay, so HTML tags aren't fully implemented I guess .-.

Edited by Alphys Hedge
Formatting

Really nice to see this place freshen itself up like this! Seeing as the missing features just need some extra time and there's nice receptiveness to feedback from the start, I have faith any sour first impressions will soften up in time, especially as familiarity develops. The buffs to status updates are probably my favourite changes so far; not sure how to describe it but, brohoofing them and comments feels very nice, it's a happy improvement.

Looking forward to lurking here some more! :)

I'm so not liking the round avatars. :orly:

Also:

* My signature text is way too spaced out.

* An annoying pop-up comes up every time I go to a new page asking me if I want updates from mlp forums. I don't want to click yes in case I get bombarded with loads of emails.

* Spoiler tags have vanished.

* I'm not liking the loss of bbcode; some of us don't know html very well. If we must have html tags, there needs to be, as before, an option to post pics directly so the tags are auto-added.

* The white on white colour scheme is a bit hard on the eyes.

• Brohoof 5

Change? CHANGE!!! *flees to the corner in fear*

Just kidding, this actually looks really nice, and seems to run smoother (for now at least :P ). Nice work @Lavo Hope the sleepless nights were worth it! 

The updated forum reminds me so much of the Equestria Daily forums that it's not even funny. :D Other than that it does look neat, even more so than I imagined at first. The cover photo option is my favorite thing! This sounds super selfish but I feel a bit sad over the fact that I've lost all the brohooves I had received in the past though, but oh well. I even like the round shape of avatars since I've got quite used to those on a different forum that uses the same layout.

The spacing of the text on the other hand (hoof?) and how pushing enter leaves such a huge space like that... I'm not a fan - although I can get used to anything so nothing feels like a problem exactly. The most anguishing thing is that there's no way to preview posts anymore.

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

I can't see my sig, or anyone else's,  for that matter

Have you enabled signatures? That's one option in the account settings - I'm sorry if you knew this already though. :ooh:

49 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

Yeahhhh, not a fan of the changes. Who the hell asked for this? Why  couldn't it be done GRADUALLY, to give people time to adjust to one thing at a time, AT LEAST?!

There was no possibly way of gradually releasing this update and we couldn't A/B test it, so it had to happen all at once - I've tried to minimise the impact in difference by attempting to at least make the forums look as much as the old ones as possible, but unfortunately for some things it's not quite that easy.

Additionally, the upgrade that just happened was required as security updates for the version of the IPS Software we were running prior to this stop being produced on the 1st April 2017, and we've historically had to continually patch it every other month to ensure we have a secure community. By continuing on the old version, we would have acknowledged that we don't care about security and left the forums open to attack and hacking attempts.

We certainly have things in place to recover from situations like these, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be proactive in ensuring we have a safe community.

2 minutes ago, Jaspers said:

Have you enabled signatures? That's one option in the account settings - I'm sorry if you knew this already though. :ooh:

Yeah, I did notice that my own preferences to see signatures where disabled after the upgrade. I might force an update so that everyone sees them, as I imagine there's fewer people who have opted out of them so those will be the less affected. (Sorry!)

• Brohoof 1

14 minutes ago, Jaspers said:

The updated forum reminds me so much of the Equestria Daily forums that it's not even funny. :D Other than that it does look neat, even more so than I imagined at first. The cover photo option is my favorite thing! This sounds super selfish but I feel a bit sad over the fact that I've lost all the brohooves I had received in the past though, but oh well. I even like the round shape of avatars since I've got quite used to those on a different forum that uses the same layout.

The spacing of the text on the other hand (hoof?) and how pushing enter leaves such a huge space like that... I'm not a fan - although I can get used to anything so nothing feels like a problem exactly. The most anguishing thing is that there's no way to preview posts anymore.

Yea, that's the sad part.

If we wanna post something, we can't preview to see if there's something out of the place for our taste, but post ahead and pray that nothing's wrong.

17 minutes ago, Jaspers said:

They should return in a few days, the forum is running a massive job in the background to rebuild, recount, and reindex all data from the previous version. Unfortunately this isn't something we can easily speed up. :( 

Just now, Sweet Pen said:
17 minutes ago, Jaspers said:

Yea, that's the sad part.

If we wanna post something, we can't preview to see if there's something out of the place for our taste, but post ahead and pray that nothing's wrong.

You should have access to this button to preview your change.

Image%202017-03-27%20at%2012.55.17%20pm.

Additionally, the editor should be much more representative of what you're posting.