Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Welcome to MLP Forums 2.0

Lavo

tbh I'd rather have round avatars if they're going to be this tiny anyway. The reason why I wasn't a big fan of the round ones was mainly cause they were so small and our community is all about art and animation. This is mlp forums, not finance101.org. Would've helped with the whitespace too.  *shrug* whatever is fine.

Did some testing, anything up to 120x px looks fine. 150px as we had before looks bad with the new style.

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, Jokuc said:

finance101.org

Would visit. :blush:

1 hour ago, Jokuc said:

Did some testing, anything up to 120x px looks fine. 150px as we had before looks bad with the new style.

Did you try 150px  x 150px or 150px x 120px? Just curious if maybe a 'slimmer' orientation looked any better. On mobile so I haven't toyed with it myself. 

I just discovered mentioning people now its so easy!  just writing @ and then starting writing the name and a list of users with those letters appear, its so handy if you dont memorized right the nickname or code <3333 love this function. 10/10

Edited by Tropico
  • Brohoof 1

On 3/26/2017 at 7:02 PM, Lavo said:

• General Bugs
    • I've probably forgotten something somewhere, be sure to check, and if it's not in it already, post in the upgrade issues megathread about it and I'll get around to sorting it out.
  •  

Well, when I was writing my last blog, the pointer to type stuff banished constantly, forcing me to click at the post to continue writing. It was annoying

I have a few questions, do you currently have plans to make it possible to set people as friends? Also, since it seems you are trying to move MLP Forums to a Twitter-style messaging site centered around the Brony fandom, do you have plans to implement features such as blocking profiles from interacting with you? And do you plan on making an anti-Sock-Account system to prevent spamming and harassment?

Thank you in advance for your response and care with such matters.

3 hours ago, Raven Drakeaurd said:

I have a few questions, do you currently have plans to make it possible to set people as friends? Also, since it seems you are trying to move MLP Forums to a Twitter-style messaging site centered around the Brony fandom, do you have plans to implement features such as blocking profiles from interacting with you? And do you plan on making an anti-Sock-Account system to prevent spamming and harassment?

Thank you in advance for your response and care with such matters.

Friends are not currently a part of the forum software. I am not sure if potentially a custom plugin to bring this back is something we want to look at soon. We are not trying to move MLPF to a Twitter-style messaging site - where did you get that idea? o.o

If a member is harassing you, we have reporting features and the member in question would most likely be warned or potentially banned. We already have rules against multiple accounts - if they are found, they are usually banned.

10 hours ago, Jeric said:

Would visit. :blush:

Did you try 150px  x 150px or 150px x 120px? Just curious if maybe a 'slimmer' orientation looked any better. On mobile so I haven't toyed with it myself. 

120x120 standard and 120x160 donor size is what I think looks best. Anything above 120 width and above 175 height looks rather uncomfortable.

Comparison:

90 (current) http://puu.sh/v2cqG/7596a58765.jpg 120 http://puu.sh/v2cov/0f34bf1f06.jpg 150 http://puu.sh/v2cmy/d2a352751a.jpg

Also, if a user has a signature, 120px is the biggest you can go without increasing the height of the overall post.

12 hours ago, Jokuc said:

tbh I'd rather have round avatars if they're going to be this tiny anyway.

I was kind of thinking the same - I already got fond of the round ones, but square ones feel just as fine to me though.

I also prefer square avatars. Sure round ones look more fancy and modern, but there actually are some images incompatible with the round format, as some details are cut-off.
It's much easier to find and configure the square avatar. ~And as mentioned before, it fits better to the rest of the square-y site layout.

They could be slightly bigger though, because at the moment, even the ranks take more horizontal space (they're almost the same size as the avatar tbh), which makes the space around the profile seem kinda empty~unused. The profile picture (and nickname of course) should be the most noticeable detail(s) there.

However, I don't mind what size it will be, that was just a random thought.

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 3

I will say that's phenomenal news that we have our forums website upgraded and I like the new style! :D :love:

Also, what about the superscripts (text above the normal line) and subscripts (text below the normal line) as we don't support BBCodes?

16 hours ago, Vinyl Scratch. said:

Also what is the resolution of the banners on the profiles?

My cover photo is 888 x 199 pixels and it's apparently small enough. It's so small that it makes the quality look quite grainy on my profile. :mellow:

(edited)
On 27.03.2017 at 1:02 AM, Lavo said:
  • The editor has had a massive upgrade and should be much simpler to use.
  • BBCODE IS NO LONGER SUPPORTED

Can I take a moment to express my opinion about this?

The editor is much simpler to break, rather than use. For new users, it is convenient, that the links are automatically embed and such ~ they don't have to be bothered with BBCode at all. However, it has much more cons than pros, especially for experienced users. Working with this editor becomes problematic, when the post gets big and there are these special boxes inside (quote, spoiler etc.).

Yesterday, I was making walls of text in private conversations and I managed to run into few inconvenient things, that even though I was aware of them, they still hurt. These are not really bugs, but just how terribly it was scripted by IPB devs, hence I'm not posting this in IPB 4.0 Upgrade FAQ & Issues Megathread.

Sorry for my another wall of text, but let's compare few things based on my experience.

1) Creating Spoilers Not Always That Easy

Back in 3rd version there were two simple tags, that were creating spoiler in the result. 

[spoiler] and [/spoiler]

For those, who aren't familiar with BBCode, putting these two tags resulted in wrapping the things between them in a spoiler, as simple as this.
Now imagine wanting to hide a long content in a spoiler - we were just typing one tag at the beginning of wall of text and one at the end and that was everything we had to do. It worked perfectly, without any issues.
Currently in IPB4, it's also easy, but there's a catch. There is a spoiler button on the panel, that inserts the spoiler box into our editor. To hide things in a spoiler, we just highlight the part we want to hide and then click the button - voila! It's done.
However, we can't highlight past the special boxes in the editor, such as quotes or spoilers themselves, when getting stuck in their contents by hovering our cursor over them while doing it from the bottom. For example let's try to hide some text with a quote in the middle - I'm highlighting the part I want to hide from the bottom and it gets stuck in the quote disallowing me to highlight the part before the quote. A workaround is to start highlighting from the top or use arrow keys while holding shift. That's just my habit to highlight what I wrote recently and hide it in the spoiler -  now I need to find the beginning first, which is slightly inconvenient for me.

There is a way to be still able to highlight it the way I prefer - we just need to go around the spoiler with the mouse.

How does it look like?

Spoiler

LnWkqgU.png

Better don't ask how much effort does it require when dealing with spoilers in spoilers etc..

I also remember having major bugs when manually adding spoiler tags to post, though that would require further investigation before reporting. Even if, that should go the other thread anyway.

2) Moving Contents To / From Spoilers

In IPB3, all we had to do is just to cut the spoiler tag and move it further or closer. As simple as that, without having to deal with highlighting massive contents and such.

In IPB4 however, we need to highlight things, cut them and paste somewhere else. That's a crime against convenience, because as mentioned before, highlighting special boxes may be difficult. Moving spoilers between spoilers may get even worse and extremely confusing. The best way is to move contents partially, cut&paste text; drag&drop special boxes. More about it in the next point.

3) Moving Spoilers Themselves

There I have mixed feelings. In IPB3 we had to cut the whole contents with the spoiler tags and paste it somewhere else. Here in IPB4 we can just click and drag the box around, which makes this process faster. I can't really complain there.

4) Removing Spoilers

In IPB3, it was a matter of removing just these two tags - that was an easy way to remove the spoiler, while keeping the contents. If we'd like to remove the spoiler with the contents, then it also was nothing difficult.

In IPB4 we can delete the spoiler box by clicking on it and pressing 'delete' button on the keyboard, however, the contents are removed as well. If we'd like to remove the spoiler, but keep the contents, then we'd have to move contents outside manually, then delete the spoiler in the end. It makes that process take more time, when there are many special boxes, as mentioned before.

5) Using Magic To Get Out of The Spoiler

Do you like challenges? There is one for you!

What will happen if your spoiler box will be at the end of the post and you'll want to continue typing below it?
You can't get out of it. A relaxing exercise for you! ;)

Spoiler

tOexFrK.png

Or what if there will be two spoilers next to each other with no space between them? The same thing!

A solution is to write something above the spoiler, then drag&drop the spoiler up, to make the text appear below it. Congratulations! You can continue typing.

It's worth noting, that adding spoilers automatically adds a next line to your post to avoid getting stuck like this, how convenient! :3 However, it still may happen when moving the spoilers around ~ for example to the very end of the post or when adding spoilers next to the previous one.
Also another thing worth noting is that, you can double enter to exit the quote, which doesn't work in spoilers.

6) WYSIWYG Mode Only - Improvement or a Joke?

That's the biggest flaw in the upgrade. All issues and cons combined together are not as inconvenient as this one.

The reason is simple - because of all that weird formatting, the contents aren't compatible with many things.
For example let's take private messages - I'm writing a loooong message and as we know, the editor doesn't make backups from time to time in private conversations, so if something will happen (accidentally pressing back in browser; lights going out etc. etc.), you'll lose everything. That happened to me few times and it wasn't nice. In total, I lost around 2-3 hours of work (these walls of text of mine...), so from now on, from time to time, I'm making backups manually by copy&pasting contents to a txt file in order to save it. But now I'm unable to do so, because I can't paste these fancy spoiler boxes into a txt file.

For instance, I've copied the contents in the red box (from the forum's text editor) to Notepad and Notepad++. The results are:

•  "I tried" for Notepad;
  • "Could Be Better" for Notepad++.
Spoiler

y9ayXwm.png

Not mentioning, that we can't copy contents between forums. For instance, I can't copy my profile page and paste it on different forums, unless they use the same forum software and version. Now when I want to update these, I need to approach every single one separately, so that operation takes more than twice as long. I have no idea, why IPB devs decided to make such a poor joke. :(

A perfect solution would be getting back the possibility to access the raw version of the code, with these bbcode tags floating all over the place. I was able to copy thingies and even save them correctly in Notepad, which worked perfectly fine! Moving things between forums also worked, because the software was interpreting the code in their own way giving even maybe slightly different, but still accurate results.

Also I was able to fix formatting issues, if there were any. Now I need to struggle within the editor. :P 

7) What About Attachments?

Are we still forced to use these, or is the posting off-site image limit lifted? Sorry for whining like this, but I'm not a fan of attachments. Basically it's the same reason as before - I can't copy&paste contents between sites that way. Not mentioning, that uploading attachments takes ~10 times longer (10 or more clicks + scrolling down and up a lot - these two may vary as some areas allow you to add attachments, some not forcing you to run all over the place with these | struggling with organization | bugs in IPB3, not used it much in IPB4 yet, so not sure how it is now | long process when there were many images uploaded already | takes a while to add to post), than using off-site images (5 clicks + 1 or 2 drag&dropping | easy navigation | quick process | easy and quick adding to post).
Also, there are outlines in attachments now. It doesn't always look nice (think of smaller images).
I tried to make a quick summary, because I could create a wall of text saying how inconvenient attachments for me are. :P 

Of course, don't get me wrong. It's not that I'm upset, nor anything like this ~ I'm just sharing my thoughts to tell how much harm the upgrade did to me, if I can say so.

Sorry for that wall of text. :twi:

Edited by Rikifive
Accidentally posted too soon by pressing CTRL+Enter
  • Brohoof 2

When i get notified of people replying to status updates its really confusing because i don't know which one they replied to :/
and i don't like how bro hoofs are likes now :c

@Rikifive honestly it's hard for me to tell what parts of your issues are CKSource and what parts are IPS. Some of the WYSIWYG editor issues may not fall squarely at the feet of IPS (though some do).

I will say that you do not need to use attachments. 

rarity_by_koveliana-d9m0nva.png

That is from DA and is a link posted directly into the editor. 

In the prior version and configuration set-up there were specific extensions, methods, and sites that weren't permissable/able for images to be embedded. 

@Jeric Heh, I'll be not going into the details. I just mentioned some changes, that I did or didn't like between these two versions. :twi:

It was possible to nicely embed images in the previous version as well. However, you were limited (MLPF's settings) to post up to 10 (if I'm not mistaking) off-site images in a single post - the same way as there is a limit of emoticons used in a single message. There was even the same limit in about me pages.
That's why I'm asking, if the limit is lifted. I've noticed, that I was able to post many images in the testing forums, but I'm not sure if the limit will be brought back or something. For example, because of being temporarily overlooked after the upgrade.

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, Rikifive said:

For example, because of being temporarily overlooked after the upgrade.

I would guess overlooked, but I'm not sure what they intend to do. I know that there are several restrictions that are lifted that used to exist (display names for example). I am not sure if the intention is to leave them as is, or figure out how to revert them. 

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 

There is no 10 image limit anymore apparently. 

• Brohoof 2

13 minutes ago, Jeric said:

I would guess overlooked, but I'm not sure what they intend to do. I know that there are several restrictions that are lifted that used to exist (display names for example). I am not sure if the intention is to leave them as is, or figure out how to revert them. 

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 

There is no 10 image limit anymore apparently. 

Yup, exactly. And that's that mystery. ^_^ 

(edited)

I just realized that clicking on a user's rank icon no longer brings up the pop-up that explained what rank is achieved at what post amount. Not sure if anyone else realized this so I figured I may as well bring it up here: 

8621afa5f1.jpg

Edit: Also, the sticky nav bar no longer follows you as you scroll, it stays stationary at the top, despite having the disable option ticked no:

eb8063d7b5.png

Edited by Miles
  • Brohoof 1