Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

New does not mean better!

cuteycindyhoney

11 hours ago, Jeric said:

Rolling it back wouldn't be a smart thing to do. This forum (like most forums) is based on third party software. Software changes over time and earlier versions are abandoned and no longer supported. 

I've said this before as a member and as staff and as a member again. Eventually they will have to upgrade. From here it is a matter of seeing what can be modified and what should be modified. 

There are visual things some have stated they do not like (the round avatars) and things that people are favorable toward. The best thing to do is itemize specific features you do not like so the dev team can determine what is actionable. 

I have never been one to handle change well. I actually do like the round avatars. Mine centered nicely. I could see where others might have problems due to what image they use. Side note: Am I the only one who has NEVER changed their avatar image?

7 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

I could see where others might have problems due to what image they use. Side note: Am I the only one who has NEVER changed their avatar image?

I had some problems with centering my avatar indeed so I made so many small changes at one point, and after a while of changing back and forth I finally settled for the most successfully centered one. :D Round avatars look really nice, sometimes it's just difficult to make the shape work with certain images. As an answer to the side note, I find it impressive that you've never changed your avatar!

11 hours ago, silvadel said:

I liked being able to see the last 20 odd posts that were added to on the forums and the last 10 or so posts that I participated in that had replies.  Is there any way to get some view like that back that I am missing?  Going forum to forum looking for recent posts is not something I want to do in general. 

Same, i really miss that feature. Being able to see a wider variety of active threads as well as all the recent threads i myself participated in was really nice. 

I dislike the rounded avatars due to the fact that they crop and remove detail from them unnecessarily... Hopefully they'll put them back to squares shortly...

I agree with you this new layout I hate it its very confusing, difficult to find where everything is you have to take a guess and hope its rights, they try to get notifications on your desktop which is dangerous no site has any business trying to put anything on your desktop I know some people may say I'm paranoid, but in today's society you have to be, the icons are now blobby circles, no more background pictures o wait you have the Twitter type of background sucks and my list goes on, but I will stop it there it would have been nice if they gave everybody a choice to use the new layout or use the original layout sometimes simple is better and all this not simple.

There's definately a lot I don't like. Notifications seem overdone. I don't need to know every brohoof to a post or status I've replied to. Circle avatars hurt. I had to zoom out to not be assaulted by the large text and all that white. Everything feel less concise. Etc.

I really don't think this should have been a surprise. I feel like we should have been warned that a change this big was coming so we had time to prepare. Instead of getting a little preview of what it could look like, we just had it tossed in our faces it tossed in our faces. :dry:

I hope we get the ability to rearrange our profiles and hopefully add backgrounds again. 

Darn this double enter. :okiedokieloki:

I'm gonna wait and see what happens to improve upon the site, but I remain skeptical.

23 minutes ago, Meson Bolt said:

Anyone care to look at the old RP character files?

Yeah, they're really messed up. v.v

Oh dear, I just took a look and just.... Holy crap. I hope we don't end up having to redo all out RP Sheets. :(

• Brohoof 2

3 minutes ago, Lil' Lovebug said:

Darn this double enter. :okiedokieloki:

I agree, I find that quite bothersome too. It's a bit frustrating when pushing enter makes everything so... spacious. :blink:

If the wider screen is bothering you, adjust the zoom of the page by holding control and adjust the zoom by scrolling. This makes it feel less zoomed into for me (at 90% zoom). Also, I think there should be a way to adjust the background colour, since all of the white is a little harsh on the eyes.

Edited by Colt 45

10 hours ago, Jaspers said:

I had some problems with centering my avatar indeed so I made so many small changes at one point, and after a while of changing back and forth I finally settled for the most successfully centered one. :D Round avatars look really nice, sometimes it's just difficult to make the shape work with certain images. As an answer to the side note, I find it impressive that you've never changed your avatar!

I'm a big fan of Kim Possible. I actually scanned that image from a box of Kim Possible's Valentine's day cards I got on clearance for ten cents years ago. 

• Brohoof 1

Things I like:
Profiles are neat.
Status updates can have crazy things like italics now.
This little "reply" bit is streamlined, though it has lost some functionality.
Blogs are way better.
PMs seem less junky.
Mobile site is no longer garbage.

Things I don't like:
I liked the bigger recently replied topics box. Last five just doesn't do it for me.
I liked having the box for topics I had replied to.
Status updates sent directly at another user now pop up on the front page. Liked it better when they'd only show up in the activity feed page.

Thing's I don't know how to feel about yet:
Round avatars. Some of my stockpiled profile pics don't look good in round. Guess I just won't use them.
It looks pretty okay. More modern than it did, at least. Not my favorite though.
The extra space from using "enter" (which strikes me as a normal word-processor thing) seems to be upsetting some, but for various reasons it's become a habit of mine to "shift+enter" every time, so I still get normal line spacing.
The update in general.

I'm sure it'll get ironed out eventually.

Edited by Yamato
Saw something else
  • Brohoof 1

will there be skins/themes soon? Im really not liking white on light blues - majority of forums I use are darker or purple themed. Just easier on the eyes - plus my eye sight isnt 100%, just always found it easier to read on darker themes, especially since youve opted for super wide formatting (the text can sometimes blur into the white space for me, its just how my eyes work with light). 

theres just a lot of open space and spacing in posts, would love to have it condensed down a bit.

another gripe from me, sorry to double post, but ive just noticed how basic the reply boxes are. As someone who never seems to be able to remember codes and such, its a major annoyance that the "special codes" have vanished as I use spoilers often. Along with that it took me a little while to realise where the image url tab went =/ Youve made the reply boxes too basic. Not a good start for someone new to online forums as a whole and not helpful for someone as daft as I can be. 

Plus I liked having the "full reply" page with more options. Is there anyway you guys can bring these back please? 

• Brohoof 1

24 minutes ago, StormBlaze said:

Plus I liked having the "full reply" page with more options. Is there anyway you guys can bring these back please? 

I second this. I need my precious undo and redo buttons back.

1 hour ago, StormBlaze said:

Youve made the reply boxes too basic.

Keep in mind that it's not the MLP Forums staff who have specifically done this. It is the developers of the 3rd party forum software we use. All we did was install what they made (which was necessary, as the old version will be no longer supported and as a result most likely insecure as of April.)

1 hour ago, (-_-) Panzysoldat said:

You can hit CTRL-Z for undo, and CTRL-Y for redo. Even faster than buttons :P (This works in most applications on Windows and Linux. On Mac OS, use CMD instead of CTRL.)

2 hours ago, StormBlaze said:

2 hours ago, (-_-) Panzysoldat said:

I do concur how odd it seems that the response tools have so much missing from the previous build. One thing for me in particular; the Preview function for posts doesn't seem to have carried over, which typically went hand in hand with the full editor. And for a compulsive self-evaluator like myself, this is a feature that I greatly appreciated and used quite often, as I'm sure was the same for many others.

Still, I understand that with new software comes new incompatibilities, especially as the old build used a number of custom add-ons to bring additional features that were individually added over several months. There was always going to be problems encountered with transferring so much data, and so I'm willing to give the new platform some leeway while we iron out the creases and get used to working with it more over the coming weeks. Even so, it's my personal hope that at least some of the more basic quality-of-life features can see a return in some shape or form.

Then maybe we can think about adding some new advanced options that would not have been possible in the old format. :P

4 hours ago, Dark Horse said:

I do concur how odd it seems that the response tools have so much missing from the previous build. One thing for me in particular; the Preview function for posts doesn't seem to have carried over, which typically went hand in hand with the full editor. And for a compulsive self-evaluator like myself, this is a feature that I greatly appreciated and used quite often, as I'm sure was the same for many others.

Still, I understand that with new software comes new incompatibilities, especially as the old build used a number of custom add-ons to bring additional features that were individually added over several months. There was always going to be problems encountered with transferring so much data, and so I'm willing to give the new platform some leeway while we iron out the creases and get used to working with it more over the coming weeks. Even so, it's my personal hope that at least some of the more basic quality-of-life features can see a return in some shape or form.

Then maybe we can think about adding some new advanced options that would not have been possible in the old format. :P

The preview thing is actually still there, they just made it ... less obvious. The magnifying glass on the page icon is the preview button.

And this thing where the text box loses focus randomly is very, very annoying... :( I'm having trouble just typing *this* message.

• Brohoof 2

Personally I haven't had many complaints; though I will concur with the extra space that's afforded for ever time the enter key is hit. It's like it's automatically double-spacing which is really making my signature look more obnoxious than it really should. :P

2 hours ago, PathfinderCS said:

Personally I haven't had many complaints; though I will concur with the extra space that's afforded for ever time the enter key is hit. It's like it's automatically double-spacing which is really making my signature look more obnoxious than it really should. :P

I know if you hit Shift-Enter at the end of the line it will return 'normal' sized line spacing (at least in blogs and posts). It may work with the sig editor too. 

• Brohoof 3

16 minutes ago, Jeric said:

I know if you hit Shift-Enter at the end of the line it will return 'normal' sized line spacing (at least in blogs and posts). It may work with the sig editor too. 

Worked like a charm actually! Thank you very much for that suggestion! :)

• Brohoof 2

'Calm down and give it time' stops at taking TWO HOURS to type a reply to something, only to have it deleted when the site loses focus because of an ad or a popup notification automatically taking precedence, when it didn't before. 

I'm not against updating things, but please make sure the updates WORK before implementing them.

Edited by SBaby