Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

IPB 4.0 Upgrade FAQ & Issues Megathread

Lavo

2 minutes ago, Suri said:

I would say that this would be a benefit for this day in particular, but people know who the heck I am pretty easily. Too many hoofprints so to speak. 

Waaait...but...who are you?

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, PiratePony said:

Waaait...but...who are you?

If you've ever watched Blues Clues, you'd know how to figure that out. I knew who "they" were right away. 

:derp:

• Brohoof 1

On 27.03.2017 at 0:31 AM, Fhaolan said:

5. Resource and Rules pages are missing.

Probably it was mentioned before, but I'm kinda confused when looking at that point on the list.

I know the rules are available under Guidelines Tab, but how about this? :P 

Spoiler

6HDckHb.gif

• Brohoof 3

14 hours ago, Rikifive said:

Probably it was mentioned before, but I'm kinda confused when looking at that point on the list.

I know the rules are available under Guidelines Tab, but how about this? :P 

Hide contents

6HDckHb.gif

To be brutally honest, I'm not overly clear why that is even there in the first place, with the Guidelines/Rules being in the menubar. It seems rather redundant to me. But I'll fix the link for now just to get it fixed. :)

• Brohoof 3

Did badges just get changed around? I seem to be set back to Pony....also, where's the list of Badge tiers now? used to be able to click on a badge and see how many more posts to next rank. I was looking forward to getting Pegasus status in the future.

• Brohoof 2

There is lot more of these *mini-down-times* than there was in previous build. 

* times when forums don't load, posts don't get posted etc. for a short period of time.

I have used http://downoruprightnow.com/status/mlpforums.com to confirm that it has been forums and not my internet. 

It's minor nuisance but I felt like it would be good to mention.

Previously, when the forums were IPB3, Soundcloud players were supported on our profiles. Currently with IPB4, it would seem as though only the URL link itself is showing, and not the embedded player... Is there a fix, or are we left without the ability to use Soundcloud in our About Me pages?

• Brohoof 1

15 hours ago, Miles said:

Previously, when the forums were IPB3, Soundcloud players were supported on our profiles. Currently with IPB4, it would seem as though only the URL link itself is showing, and not the embedded player... Is there a fix, or are we left without the ability to use Soundcloud in our About Me pages?

I told @Lavo about this moments after the new site came up since it impacted a few Pony.FM tracks that I embedded in a blog. He is aware at the very least. 

• Brohoof 1

I don't know if this is related to the forum upgrade, but there's an issue I've been running into recently where the page won't scroll up or down. I can use the the scroll bar at the right, but my mouse wheel stops working. I've only noticed this happening on MLP Forums, no other website. If I close the tab and reopen the forums it works again, so it's not really a big issue, just a minor annoyance really but it is there.

• Brohoof 3

14 minutes ago, Totally Lyra said:

I don't know if this is related to the forum upgrade, but there's an issue I've been running into recently where the page won't scroll up or down. I can use the the scroll bar at the right, but my mouse wheel stops working. I've only noticed this happening on MLP Forums, no other website. If I close the tab and reopen the forums it works again, so it's not really a big issue, just a minor annoyance really but it is there.

I've noticed this as well. Mostly happened to me in the last week, and I haven't found a common thread yet. 

15 hours ago, Totally Lyra said:

That happened to me multiple times as well - I think it has something to do with the notifications, that pop out in the bottom right corner.

Why I'm suspecting them?

Because I had that issue on other sites as well. I've noticed, that they broke when I received notifications from MLPF, though it may be a coincidence.

Here's what I've experienced:
I was browsing other forums (not MLPF) on another tab and everything worked fine. When I got a notification from MLPF, scrolling up/down middle mouse button stopped responding. I still could move the contents by dragging the bar to the right or by clicking middle mouse button to move the contents towards the cursor's position. I have multiple tabs opened all the time - Only the tab, that was active while I got the notifications got corrupted. That means, that I could scroll up and down on other sites, including MLPF, but not on the one, that broke. Refreshing the page, clicking links and basically browsing the site didn't help - it was still broken. It seems, that the browser's tab itself was somehow broken, not the site(s). As far as I know, the only way to fix it, is to reopen the site in a new tab and abandon the broken one. The quickest way to achieve this is to middle click the refresh button to basically copy the tab (refresh the page in a new tab). Then, everything seems to be working properly.
That happened to me twice or thrice in total and it was pretty recently. To be honest I didn't bother to find the culprit, but now when it's mentioned here, I was thinking of what happened and I came to the conclusion, that MLPF (leaning towards notifications) is most likely causing this, though I may be mistaking.

I'm using Google Chrome, version 57.0.2987.133

Edited by Rikifive

On 30.3.2017 at 10:39 PM, Lavo said:

This is not going to go back in. The previous system was more facebook like, and this one is now more twitter like. In places like these, I'd rather not fight the forum software. 

What you're essentially asking is that you want to give permission out to who can receive notifications to new topics and status updates you do. In the old forum, this made sense because you'd receive theirs in return, but in this one you do not, they follow you and you would never receive their activity notifications unless you followed them.

So what you are saying is that there is no way for user to remove any of their followers, the follower will need to remove themselves via unfollowing?

Is this correct?

1 hour ago, ooBrony said:

So what you are saying is that there is no way for user to remove any of their followers, the follower will need to remove themselves via unfollowing?

Is this correct?

That is what IPS says. I want to be fair to Lavo ... this isn't a him thing. It's part of IPS's love for the user content subscription model. 

• Brohoof 1

13 hours ago, Jeric said:

That is what IPS says. I want to be fair to Lavo ... this isn't a him thing. It's part of IPS's love for the user content subscription model. 

yeah i was afraid of that since  in the long run if the removal of followers is possible by only the followers themselves, I'm afraid that  when the users become inactive they will bloat the follower counters until it finally reaches the limit when the notifications stop sending and all followers even the active ones become irrelevant.

Would be nice to have the old status update function accessible from the top right profile menu instead of having to go to your profile page and then scrolling all the way down to the bottom.

@Rawzy Do you mean a quick way to add a status update?

You can still quickly access it by clicking +Create -> Status.

acl7ImI.png

...Well unless I misunderstood. :P 

On the other news, another links are broken.

The links to the map and FAQ's in Site Questions & Tech Support:

Spoiler

Fab6ZD9.png

~throw errors:

For the map, "The page you requested does not exist." (Error code: 1S160/2)

For the FAQ, "That page does not exist." (Error code: 2T251/4)

That being said, I think it's not possible to access FAQ's? They're gone from the main tab and links to them are broken, so the only way is to search for them either through the search bar or by finding direct links.

WtvmtpT.png
It seems to work when I'll click FAQ tab in that error page though.

Spoiler

i2Q2ZHn.png

WtvmtpT.png
Speaking of FAQ's, there seems to be tiny formatting glitches with one of the subforums' descriptions. :P 

Spoiler

U1XpB5o.png

Edited by Rikifive
Added content

10 hours ago, Rikifive said:

On the other news, another links are broken.

I've been avoiding looking at the FAQ links for now, as the entire FAQ section is ... confused at best, and needs to be re-written at worst. We're gonna have to do something about it soon, but... *shudder*.

• Brohoof 2

20 minutes ago, Fhaolan said:

I've been avoiding looking at the FAQ links for now, as the entire FAQ section is ... confused at best, and needs to be re-written at worst. We're gonna have to do something about it soon, but... *shudder*.

Considering that a lot of the rules and even the rule centric FAQ's usually come down to interpretation and common sense (ideally), you could probably streamline them a bit. Honestly it would be a good idea to actually go through SQ and see what questions are actually ... frequently asked. 

I think the FAQ (and the Global Rules) suffered a little from having a string of loquacious Administrators who liked words (myself included). 

Also the idea of using it to manage to the exception became a thing around the summer of 2015. 

> Checks Admin list at that time

> Oh! Heh. My bad

>.<

*Runs from @Fhaolan

• Brohoof 1

On 20/04/2017 at 1:59 PM, ooBrony said:

yeah i was afraid of that since  in the long run if the removal of followers is possible by only the followers themselves, I'm afraid that  when the users become inactive they will bloat the follower counters until it finally reaches the limit when the notifications stop sending and all followers even the active ones become irrelevant.

With the way IPS handle notification counts now, I don't think this will be an issue any longer. I do believe there is a limit on amount of people one can follow now though, don't recall what it is atm.

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, Fhaolan said:

Heh, I can see why, as I've noticed few outdated (at the moment) information stored there, which will lead to tons of work. Confusing is a good term, not gonna lie. :P Personally I think, that re-writing these would make them look better than ever, so it would be worth the time. :)
In my opinion, FAQ's are a great thing here, as some things aren't as obvious as they seem to be. Especially with ranks and the limits for newcomers, as this one is a legit frequently asked question. :D 

On 27/03/2017 at 10:36 AM, C. Thunder Dash said:

Just browsing through my old PMs and no matter which one it is and what page I move to, it's awfully slow on mobile devices no matter if I'm connected to wifi or not. The search function on the messenger is so slow that I've been caught with 504 gateway timeouts. 

This should be resolved now. 

There was an inefficiency in the software when dealing with PM's with a very large amount of replies, I was only able to reproduce the issue consistently today thanks to a report sent in by a member. 

I can't really explain why but apparently asking our database to limit the amount of results returned made it slower than not limiting the amount return. But I've added something in the database that deals with this.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried to post a piece of artwork made in Paint Tool Sai onto the visaual artwork section the way you normally would but the image won't show. I have been told of a way to fix it and was also told to report my problem on here aswell.

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Kalani. said:

I have tried to post a piece of artwork made in Paint Tool Sai onto the visaual artwork section the way you normally would but the image won't show. I have been told of a way to fix it and was also told to report my problem on here aswell.

This isn't an issue with the forum software per se. Sai's proprietary file format is not an image standard so it wouldn't render as an image, just attach as a file someone would be able to open with the actual Sai program.

You would need to save the .sai file as a .png file. Both the browser and the forum software will render then. 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Probably the biggest problem I've had with the change as of late is the Filters no longer capable of remembering custom settings.

It made Roleplaying (and lurking) a lot easier.