Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Ranking the movies of 2017

ranul

What Rankings would you give the movies that you have gone to see in theatres  this year for your favourite to  least favourite

mine so far are in this order .

1 SMURFS

2Lego Batman

3 CARS 3

4Beauty and the Beast

5 BOSS BABY

6 WONDER WOMAN

7 A Dogs purpose

8 Logan

9 Power Rangers

10The Great Wall

11 John Wick 2

I added a dogs purpose after  realizing it was this year that I saw it

Your Name (Brilliant Japanese classic. Technically last year's film, but debuted in the U.S. this year)

XXX: Return of Xander Cage (Finally the XXX series has become fun like Fast and Furious)

The Great Wall (Not brilliant, but fun and diverting)

Split (Tense and rather creepy in places)

Beauty and the Beast (Sooo disappointing. I'm a bit crushed over this). 

3 hours ago, Anneal said:

I think it's still a bit too early to be deciding yet, especially since it's only been just three months. :twi:

I plan on adding to my list of movies rankings as the year goes on .

So far, I've only seen three films from this year, and only genuinely enjoyed one of them.

1. Logan - 8/10

2. Get Out - 6/10

3. Beauty and the Beast - 4/10

Hopefully, 2017's film lineup will get a little better, despite the near lack of original films coming out (and by original, I mean films that aren't sequels, remakes, or reboots of popular franchises).

I've only seen one new film this year; that being "Kong: Skull Island" which was a GREAT film! It's nothing spectacular or new, but by GOD is it just fun to watch and you really get a kick out of the characters. Nothing is too deep, but it doesn't have to be.

With this film being connected to the Legendary Godzilla and eventually setting up Kong vs Godzilla, I am hyped! <3

• Brohoof 1

1. Logan ~ 9/10

2. Kong: Skull Island ~ 8/10 (Technically, I enjoyed this the most out of all films I've seen so far this year.)

3. Get Out ~ 8/10

4. The Belko Experiment ~ 6/10

5. Power Rangers ~ 5/10

6. The Great Wall ~ 5/10

7. A Cure for Wellness ~ 5/10

8. Resident Evil: The Final Chapter ~ 4/10

9. Rings ~ 3/10

10. CHiPs ~ 1/10 (TERRIBLE film. I hated this movie, and so did everyone else in the audience. Don't see it.)

--

To-watch list:

- Alien: Covenant (5/19) ~ Second most anticipated release of the year, behind Kong: Skull Island.
- The Mummy (6/9)
- Baby Driver (6/28)
- War for the Planet of the Apes (7/14)
- Atomic Blonde (7/28)
- The Dark Tower (8/4)
- It (9/8)
- Flatliners (9/29)
- My Little Pony: The Movie (10/6) ~ Third most anticipated release of the year, for obvious reasons.
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi (12/15)

From best to worst:

1. Your Name
2. John Wick 2
3. In This Corner of the World
4. Ghost in the Shell
5. The Great Wall
6. Split
7. Rings

Something like that, probably.

I'm also really hyped for Alien: Covenant

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't yet gotten out as much as I'd hoped to, but here's my own ranking. Saw more independent stuff than you lot, it would appear. 

1. John Wick: Chapter 2
  2. Logan
  3. After the Storm
  4. Get Out
  5. The Lost City of Z
  6. Your Name
  7. Free Fire

Top five are the ones I'd recommend. 

(edited)

Movies I'm hyped for:

MLP Movie

Happy Death Day

Ferdinand

Resident Evil Vendetta

LEGO Ninjago

Midnighters

Paddington 2

The Nut Job 2

Annabelle 2

Curse of Chucky

It

Dyrene I Hakkebakkeskoven

The Snowman

The Greatest Showman on Earth

God Particle

A Ghost Story

Murder on the Orient Express

Goodbye Christopher Robin

Edited by Buttonmash1973

• 1 month later...
(edited)

What Rankings would you give the movies that you have gone to see in theatres  this year for your favourite to  least favourite

mine so far are in this order .

1 Valerian and the city of a thousand planets

2  SMURFS

3 Lego Batman

4 THOR RANKROK

5 CARS 3

6 SPIDERMAN HOMECOMING

7 LEGO NINJAGO

8 Beauty and the Beast

9 BOSS BABY

10 JUSTICE LEAGUE

11WONDER WOMAN

12DESPICABLE ME 3

13 A Dogs purpose

14 EMOJI MOVIE

15Logan

16 Power Rangers

17 MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS

18 the mountain between us

19 The Great Wall

20  John Wick 2

here is my new list

Edited by ranul
Update

I barely watch any movies so here's my not so huge list :lol:

1) Guardian's of the Galaxy: Vol 2

2) Logan

3) Baby Driver

4) Wonder Woman

All great popcorn muncher films

I haven't updated since March, so here's a few more to add to my original list:

Monster Trucks (Surprisingly okay. Kind of like a Disney live action form the '70s)

Kong: Skull Island. (Fun and easy to watch, with lots of action and some gross stuff)

John Wick 2 (plenty of action. Better than the first one)

Resident Evil: Final Chapter (Absolutely sucked. One of the worse of the year. Every lame cliche in the book)

Logan (Very good. Lots of action and great characters)

Lego Batman Movie (Funny for the most part, but ultimately couldn't resist over-explaining the obvious and going PC)

Fist Fight (Stupid but surprisingly entertaining movie)

Fate of the Furious (Fantastic! This one has everything James Bond no longer provides)

The Boss Baby (I thought it would be the same old thing everyone's already done, but it had a few good surprises)

Cars 3 (Okay overall but couldn't resist going the obvious PC route at the end)

Alien Covenant (Ridiculous and patently unbelievable)

The Circle (Harmless enough, and always good to see Emma Watson. But not really my kind of subject matter)

Life (An Alien rip-off. Better than Alien Covenant, but just as predictable and not very satisfying in the long run)

Lost City of Z (Absolute crap. Ignores the real story and fills it in with BS)

Power Rangers (Not too bad. Fun enough and reasonably diverting)

Smurfs: The Lost Village (I'm not a fan of the Smurfs, but making this all animated was a good move. It was okay)

Ghost in the Shell (I liked it more than expected. It helps that I don't know the original material enough to be annoyed at the liberties taken)

Wonder Woman (Another super hero movie with all the usual stuff. Nothing new or exciting though).

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (Legendary piece of crap! I can't believe what a bad movie this is! And someone greenlighted this mess!) 

• Brohoof 1

Well, if we're updating this, I guess I'll expand on my list over at Letterboxd:

1. Baby Driver (9/10) - A gloriously rhythmic, heavily stylized action movie which uses crime movie tropes like samples in a banger mixtape. 
  2. John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10) - Doubles down on everything which made the first great: balletic action choreography, inventive and stunningly photographed setpieces, a bizarre world, and a melancholic undertone. 
  3. The Big Sick (9/10) - A hilarious and deeply authentic romantic comedy filled with wonderful characters. Delightful but also profoundly moving and surprisingly sad. 
  4. Dunkirk (8/10) - A two-hour anxiety attack of a film, somehow sustaining its artful tension for an entire movie's length. Wasn't moved by the implied patriotism of it all, but technically just astonishing. 
  5. Logan (8/10) - Stumbles a little in the final act, but as a character-driven pseudo-Western, this is gripping, and those violent action scenes never cease to thrill. 
  6. A Ghost Story (8/10) - Audacious as all hell, and a little self-indulgent, but filled with powerful imagery and surprising twists, all to showcase the relentless march of time. 
  7. Spider-Man: Homecoming (8/10) - Really clever superheroic twist on a coming-of-age story. Among the funniest of the Marvel films, and filled with fun setpieces. 
  8. After the Storm (8/10) - Graceful little portrait of personal and family troubles filled with charm and gentle wisdom. Quiet but irresistible. 
  9. Get Out (8/10) - Not very scary, and loses its teeth in the final act, but you've gotta admire the balls on this thing to confront the less overt forms of racism, and it's very funny and exciting as well. 
  10. It Comes at Night (8/10) - Quietly haunting, brutal little psychological thriller about the things we might do to protect our families. Disquieting and darkly beautiful. 
  11. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (8/10) - As weird as Marvel gets, and often funny if not consistently so. Moreover, I liked its commitment to the idea of people abandoned by or rejecting their families. 
  12. Wonder Woman (8/10) - A little too militaristic, but that's overcome by some of the best heroic imagery this year as well as some delightful fish-out-of-water shenanigans. 
  13. The Lost City of Z (7/10) - Very slow, but absolutely beautiful and rather nuanced. Loved its ambivalence about its protagonist.
  14. War for the Planet of the Apes (7/10) - Gorgeous photography and music, fantastic pacing, and sufficiently deep characters, but a cartoonish villain really undercuts what it's going for. 
  15. Okja (6/10) - Great CG, and very exciting, but way too preachy and manipulative with its moralizing about the meat industry. 
  16. Your Name (6/10) - Very pretty and has a decent emotional core, but the mythology of this consistently baffled me and the plot twists are just plain weird. 
  17. The Salesman (6/10) - Nuanced characters and hints of greater themes caught in a relatively generic cost-of-revenge story. 
  18. Atomic Blonde (6/10) - Confusing but also pretty dull story, and an overly distracting soundtrack, but lot of great action and has this weird trancelike flow sometimes. 
  19. The Beguiled (5/10) - I didn't really get it, so all the stylistic flourishes just felt kinda dreary and the premise still came off as kinda misogynistic. 
  20. Free Fire (5/10) - Has its moments, but mostly just kinda interminable because of its confusing geography and charmless villain protagonists. 
  21. The Mummy (5/10) - Brainless action junk made watchable by having a bit of humour every once in a while. Kinda junk but not intolerable. 
  22. It's Only the End of the World (4/10) - Hints at character depth but mostly buries it under endless familial bickering. Never quite gets to the point and tries to compensate with distracting stylistic flourishes. 
  23. Alien: Covenant (4/10) - Very pretty, but man, this crew is dumb as rocks, and the aliens look like crap. Thematically claptrap and filled with bad action, but at least there's some striking visuals. 

Ok movies:

1. Wonder Woman:  This movie is near perfect!

2.Logan:  It made me cry in public...

3. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2:  One of my favs this year and I've seen 4 times!

4. War for the Planet of the Apes: Just a good watch and a good ending!

5.Beauty and the Beast: Felt like a bad cheap rip off minus the Beast being cool looking.

6.The Mummy:  Its just Meh.....

7.Transformers: The Last Knight: Fun watch but still missed a few home runs.

8.Spider-Man: Homecoming:  Fun and sassy and a Spiderman done right for once!

9.The Lego Batman Movie: Fun for the family but the humor is pushed to much.

10.  The Dark Tower: I have yet to watch this but I want to see it!

• 3 months later...

1. Dyrene I Hakkebakkeskogen

2. MLP Movie

3. Happy Death Day

4.The Monster Project

5. The Smurfs and the Lost Village

6. The Gracefield Incident

7. Phoenix Forgotten

8. Underworld: Blood Wars

9. Resident Evil: The Final Chapter

10. Resident Evil: Vendetta

11. The Bye Bye Man