Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Clop SECTION

Lenny

The clopping subgroup in the fandom is still part of the fandom, regardless of how kid friendly it is. Please, don't redirect me to the clop THREAD. The clop topic is WAY to big to be fit into a single thread. Making a NSFW section in general would be good. Everything clopper is against the rules, unless it's in that one single thread. If we had a NSFW section, or clop specifically, that'd be great.

It doesn't matter if it's kid friendly, it's part of the fandom that you are pretty much banning off this site.

Ill reply to questions/posts in the morning; it's 10pm For me.

Edited by Lenny
Note
  • Brohoof 2

No. This site benefits from being open to all ages, we have users as young as 13 and as old as in they're 70's and 80's. Not only would adding NSFW alienate a lot of the userbase, but it also goes against the goal of being a MLP forum for all of the Fandom, from young to old.

• Brohoof 14

I'd be open to the idea if you could put an age gate on it. I mean, people can minimize sections now as it is to ignore them, and you have to pass a post threshold to post in the debate forum. If something along those lines could be instituted to be sure it's actual users and not just spammers or newbies using it, then I think it'd be doable.

• Brohoof 5

Every fandom has its members that are into the mature content said fandom provides, by your reasoning every fandom-oriented forum would be required to cater for these interests, which really should be the choice of the staff running each forum. if they want to keep things PG 13 across the board, that's cool. If they want to provide the equivalent to a clop section, that's also cool. For as long as I've known (and apparently beyond), the staff here seem far more inclined towards the former, so a clop section seems kinda unlikely; honestly, a clop thread (or its equivalent in other fandoms) is more than I've seen quite a few other forums do, even ones revolved around less kid-friendly shows/games etc. Which isn't to say a clop section would be bad or unrealistic, I'm sure that would be a lovely addition for a lot of people! But I also don't think anyone part of any forum staff would be doing anything wrong by deciding content like that doesn't have a place in the sort of community they're trying to maintain, just as a clop forum shouldn't be put under pressure if they aren't interested in making a child-friendly section.

I'm very sure the staff here know the clopping subgroup in the fandom is still part of the fandom, and treat cloppers just the same as any other member or person they meet; they are not obligated to make space for their interests or for all the interests in the fandom they feel goes against the focus and core audience of these forums however :)

• Brohoof 3

While I have no issues whatsoever with clop in general, it's inclusion in this forum has historically been shot down for a plethora of valid reasons. This forum has done reasonably well in it's five and a half years in the fandom without a clop centric forum, so the idea that clop being part of the fandom automatically warrants it's inclusion here ... isn't an absolute truth. I'm against the idea and suggest that people use the other plentiful resources available off-site. 

There are also several PII/PID issues it presents in respect to underage members, which I'm not comfortable discussing in public. If the staff does seriously consider adding this, I ask that the Admins contact me in PM to discuss further. 

• Brohoof 11

8 hours ago, Frozen The Unicorn said:

No. This site benefits from being open to all ages, we have users as young as 13 and as old as in they're 70's and 80's. Not only would adding NSFW alienate a lot of the userbase, but it also goes against the goal of being a MLP forum for all of the Fandom, from young to old.

I don't understand what you said, sorry.

5 hours ago, Jeric said:

While I have no issues whatsoever with clop in general, it's inclusion in this forum has historically been shot down for a plethora of valid reasons. This forum has done reasonably well in it's five and a half years in the fandom without a clop centric forum, so the idea that clop being part of the fandom automatically warrants it's inclusion here ... isn't an absolute truth. I'm against the idea and suggest that people use the other plentiful resources available off-site. 

There are also several PII/PID issues it presents in respect to underage members, which I'm not comfortable discussing in public. If the staff does seriously consider adding this, I ask that the Admins contact me in PM to discuss further. 

It's be nice to have one. That's all I'm saying, an age gate would work, like someone said above. I don't know what pii/pid has to do with it tho, I searched it up, but might of gotten the wrong definition.

Eh i am not too sure, there are plenty of places to go for NSFW but I would like to think there is a silver lining with this sort of thing where it could be implemented tastefully without it contaminating the site and ruining all the hard-work the staff and other people have put into MLP forums as being a place for all ages. I suppose if the staff wanted to add a NSFW section they could add a variety of security checks before allowing users to view and contribute to it. For one they could exclude the section from search engines so that they cannot appear to general internet users through simple searches and i think for inclusion into the forums ecosystem an age barrier should be implemented so that people aged 18 or less will not even be able to view the section let alone find it, secondly a certain amount of posts should be attained before any user is granted the privilege to view the NSFW section regardless of the users age and the user must also be in good standing with the community ie not have warnings and other such things for being a trouble maker and last but not least even after you have met all the requirements to view the NSFW section the NSFW section should be a toggle able feature in profile settings and it should be disabled by default so that even if a user meets all community standards to view NSFW on here they wont stumble upon it by accident and will only be able to view NSFW on here if that is what they explicitly want. I think those ideas would work to preserve the integrity of MLP forums while also catering to the users that want NSFW. Its all up for debate but thats just my two bits on potential implementation. 

Edited by DayShadow
  • Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Lenny said:

an age gate would work,

Except it would not.

You'd either have minors lying about their age to get in (and potentially a of upset parents) OR you'd be forcing the staff to verify the age of every single user who'd want in that section, which just isn't reasonable given the huge amount of people in these forums.

Why you would want clop in here is beyond me anyway, it's not like there's any shortage of it on the internet and the main purpose of these forums is to be a place for fans of all ages, including those not allowed to look at explicit content.

• Brohoof 2

13 hours ago, Lenny said:

I don't understand what you said, sorry.

He was talking about one of the core philosophies expressed previously by staff, and echoed by members. The only limitations on forum access to MLPF user generated content is initial activity. You can't access RP, Debate Pit, or Life Advice without a specific post count. Beyond that, there are no other criteria. 

One member once suggested that we create a forum area that only notable members or donors could access. The feedback from other users was anything but positive. Having an exclusive forum was seen as something many were philosophically opposed to. An erotic based NSFW forum may fall within that idea of exclusion.

Other forums allow that, as you have pointed out, but this forum has a different 'feel'. And it isn't that Poniverse is morally and ideologically opposed to clop. Heck we even have an official discord channel that has an 18+ area. It is more manageable and tenable due to the nature of how a discord server runs vs. a forum with more activity, and specific functional and policy limitations 

• Brohoof 5

3 hours ago, Lenny said:

It's be nice to have one. That's all I'm saying, an age gate would work, like someone said above. I don't know what pii/pid has to do with it tho, I searched it up, but might of gotten the wrong definition.

PII means personal identifiable information and PID is personal identifiable data. Others refer to it as SPI. There is 'direct' and 'linked' PII. An age gate would not protect every minor. A proper risk assessment should be done by staff on protocols and internal policy that the users don't see or experience, but they do. 

In my personal opinion i think overall MLP Forums is just better off not implementing a NSFW section. It carries with it too many issues and people would find ways to circumvent security measures. MLP Forums is one of the few places left that can pride itself on being NSFW free from what i can see. Even places like Equestria Daily has started to tread dangerously close to NSFW material. If the staff really think they can find a way to make it work then cool i guess but MLP Forums is just better off not going there in general.

• Brohoof 4

12 hours ago, Lenny said:

The clopping subgroup in the fandom is still part of the fandom, regardless of how kid friendly it is. Please, don't redirect me to the clop THREAD. The clop topic is WAY to big to be fit into a single thread. Making a NSFW section in general would be good. Everything clopper is against the rules, unless it's in that one single thread. If we had a NSFW section, or clop specifically, that'd be great.

It doesn't matter if it's kid friendly, it's part of the fandom that you are pretty much banning off this site.

Ill reply to questions/posts in the morning; it's 10pm For me.

yes, it may still be a part of the fandom... but I don't think it would be a good idea bringing NSFW material here.. like most said it will mostly leave to lots of people feeling excluded from the rest of the forums, and others could just lie their ages to have access to the NSFW posts... so...

just because its part of the fandom it doesn't mean NSFW should be allowed :P

4 hours ago, Jeric said:

He was talking about one of the core philosophies expressed previously by staff, and echoed by members. The only limitations on forum access to MLPF user generated content is initial activity. You can access RP, Debate Pit, or Life Advice without a specific post count. There are no other criteria. 

One member once suggested that we create a forum area that only notable members or donors could access. The feedback from other users was anything but positive. Having an exclusive forum was seen as something many were philosophically opposed to. An erotic based NSFW forum may fall within that idea of exclusion.

Other forums allow that, as you have pointed out, but this forum has a different 'feel'. And it isn't that Poniverse is morally and ideologically opposed to clop. Heck we even have an official discord channel that has an 18+ area. It is more manageable and tenable due to the nature of how a discord server runs vs. a forum with more activity, and specific functional and policy limitations 

I guess that's much I'd say is true. There are anti cloppers in the brony community, so id assume there would be some kind of war going on in replies. 

3 hours ago, Jeric said:

PII means personal identifiable information and PID is personal identifiable data. Others refer to it as SPI. There is 'direct' and 'linked' PII. An age gate would not protect every minor. A proper risk assessment should be done by staff on protocols and internal policy that the users don't see or experience, but they do. 

Oh.. Google says it's a.. uhh.. disease in "parts".

2 hours ago, Sporemane said:

I believe that Clop doesn't belong on this forum. Like others have said before. There are other resources for people to use, if they want clop related content.

I just wanted to make a thread "what do you think about cloppers" for a YouTube video defending them, aswell as replying to the posts. Not necessarily actual clip but somewhere people can discuss a NSFW topic in a safe manor

29 minutes ago, Lenny said:

I just wanted to make a thread "what do you think about cloppers" for a YouTube video defending them, aswell as replying to the posts. Not necessarily actual clip but somewhere people can discuss a NSFW topic in a safe manor

Can't you just use the clop thread for that? 

Edited by Yamet

8 minutes ago, Lenny said:

No, a single thread isn't enough space for it. 

A single thread is plenty of space. Especially considering that all replies are basically the same thing as what you intended to post. 

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Lenny said:

I have to agree with Yamet here. You don't need an NSFW area to have that particular discussion. For clarification to newer members who may not know what we are referring to, in late 2014 MLP Forums Administration approved the creation of a clop thread after the old policy of curbing any discussion on clop was revisited. While the staff felt that NSFW has no place on this site, they did see a benefit to discussion and debate of the subject. Due to its sensitive nature (clop threads had a tendency to incite dramatic arguments) it was placed in Debate Pit. From that point on, this is how staff addressed and still addresses clop topics that are created outside of the clop thread.

The reason that thread was created was to have an intelligent and thoughtful discussion on the topic, which is apparently your driving motivation.  

• Brohoof 1

20 minutes ago, Jeric said:

I have to agree with Yamet here. You don't need an NSFW area to have that particular discussion. For clarification to newer members who may not know what we are referring to, in late 2014 MLP Forums Administration approved the creation of a clop thread after the old policy of curbing any discussion on clop was revisited. While the staff felt that NSFW has no place on this site, they did see a benefit to discussion and debate of the subject. Due to its sensitive nature (clop threads had a tendency to incite dramatic arguments) it was placed in Debate Pit. From that point on, this is how staff addressed and still addresses clop topics that are created outside of the clop thread.

The reason that thread was created was to have an intelligent and thoughtful discussion on the topic, which is apparently your driving motivation.  

Good luck with that. Like I said, that's not enough space.