Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

So, here's a question I can't answer.

Malcontent

So I am crafting the second season of Equestrian City on paper..and I ran into a problem. 

I'd like to ask the collective. 

Why do the changlings keep their prisoners in good or for that matter at all. 

The entire situation would be easier if they just killed them. 

Now naturally we can't show that but still, there has to be a reason they keep em around. Any shape-shifting worth a darn will tell you kill your target. So what possible reason would they need to keep them around. Obviously they couldn't feed off the love of prisoners...

I turn to you, pony collective..

I think they drain any remaining love from their victims, but I suppose they later kill them :huh:. Oh well, it's not like the show was going to address it anyway :dash:

• Brohoof 1

18 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

I think they drain any remaining love from their victims, but I suppose they later kill them :huh:. Oh well, it's not like the show was going to address it anyway :dash:

Well I realize that but I was hoping for a bit of a thinking exercise among so many fans. 

You can drain a living slave a long time before they go caput, so its in your long term interests to essentially "milk" your victims over a long period of time: I think in the Lyra/bon bon book when they talked about changelings they mentioned that as their main reason for preferring to slowly drain captives instead of eating them all in on ego.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

You can drain a living slave a long time before they go caput, so its in your long term interests to essentially "milk" your victims over a long period of time: I think in the Lyra/bon bon book when they talked about changelings they mentioned that as their main reason for preferring to slowly drain captives instead of eating them all in on ego.

Now that's an interesting thought. I like that. Thanks for the input! :D

Well the show is made for a young audience and isn't allowed to show that.  However, if you are writing a fanfic for an older audience, I don't see why you can't have the changelings do something like that they wouldn't do in the show.

Maybe they save them for later. If they are starving again they can eat them. Also they can be prizes for Chrysalis to toy around and brag with.:blink:

But most of all, it is a kids show. Killing them can't happen for the sake of hasbro's name.

• Brohoof 1

11 hours ago, Malcontent said:

Now that's an interesting thought. I like that. Thanks for the input! :D

Yeah, its a very common fiction explanation for parasite races :)
as an example from fiction, look at vampires or the dark eldar from warhammer. Its not uncommon for vampires to keep their thralls alive for long periods of time to slowly feed off of them (Like how johnathan was kept captive in dracula), and in 40k with the dark eldar (who feed off emotions, albeit pain instead of love) its very explicit that keeping your slaves alive as long as possible is far more cost effective than killing them outright and having to go out and get a new one. Sheer a sheep a million times, butcher them once as the saying goes :P