Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Not enough R.E.S.P.E.C.T. for Z.A.C.H.E.R.L.E?

ManaMinori

Quite often I feel like Lauren Faust, being the creator of mlp generation 4, gets put on a high horse ((pun intended), while Bonnie Zacherle, the creator of the entire mlp franchise as a whole, and the woman responsible for creating the designs of he toyline of ponies that Lauren Faust spent her childhood playing with, does not. So few g4 fans even know who Zacherle is, in spite of every other generation past g1 not being able to come into existence without BZ's contributions toward g1. The entire My Little Pony franchise has this wonderful woman to thank for it's success and long lasting legacy.

What are you guy's thoughts on Zacherle? Should she be getting more respect and acknowledgement? (Podcast interviews, mlp convention invites, household name status, having a hoof...hand in g4 writing or merch designs?

I only became a fan of g4 and I can confirm I've never heard of her. But I agree she should get more recognition for creating the entire series.

Remember that she was only involved with the initial pitch for the toy line that would eventually become My Little Pony. As such, she doesn't have that much in the way of attachment to the brand though her contribution is deeply noted. Besides, she's begun appearing at some of the conventions so it's not like she's been relegated to the sidelines.

4 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

Remember that she was only involved with the initial pitch for the toy line that would eventually become My Little Pony. As such, she doesn't have that much in the way of attachment to the brand though her contribution is deeply noted. Besides, she's begun appearing at some of the conventions so it's not like she's been relegated to the sidelines.

Seeing as how Hasbro is a TOY COMPANY, first and foremost, and that the animated series promote the toys, that's still a pretty hefty role that Bonnie had, as it all depended on her designs of the ponies. 

Even though she's much more recognized nowadays and, thus, gets more recognition and recognition, I, too, feel she's sorta overlooked. She helped create MLP under the idea that anyone regardless of gender can play with toy ponies. She established the family-friendly roots in which Faust and crew helped bring this franchise back to.

• Brohoof 2

Her involvement is crucial, of course. I think that the reason people tend to respect Faust more has to do with some obvious differences in how they look at the current brand. 

BZ is known mostly for her hand in bringing about the merchandise and concept, and some gravitate to Faust, her staff, and the subsequent staffers because it is the narrative elements of the brand they are attached too more. 

That doesn't mean that that her role should be forgotten, but I do think that if someone answers the question, "Who's influence on the brand do I appreciate most", with Faust, McCarthy, or Ingram, then they aren't wrong to think that. 

44 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

Seeing as how Hasbro is a TOY COMPANY, first and foremost, and that the animated series promote the toys, that's still a pretty hefty role that Bonnie had, as it all depended on her designs of the ponies. 

Her original toy line, "My Pretty Pony", didn't sell as well as was expected, so its successor, My Little Pony, would be based upon the former and we all know how things turned out from there. Still, Zacherle does deserve credit for the initial pitch since without it, we wouldn't have Friendship is Magic right now.