Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does anyone like to watch the news?

zerox

Interested in world events, but I definitely don't watch the news. Instead, I usually listen to people on YouTube talking about it (Humanist Report, Secular Talk) instead, because I feel like mainstream media is shifting way too far to the right. (I personally believe that to be somewhat objective, actually...)

• Brohoof 2

I don't really watch the news all that much but i do try and keep current on world events. The mainstream news outlets like CNN, Fox News, etc i don't really bother with since they have a remarkable talent for coloring the truth in order to convey a narrative they approve of. In short they are extremely bias. At the very least they give me awareness of a specific event but i don't take what they have to say about said event as factual or correct. If i want more in depth analysis of events i usually do some research. 

Edited by DayShadow
  • Brohoof 2

The world scares me so I'm not one to watch the news too often. I do read about the happenings around the world, although I have no idea why watching is any different - there's just a weird atmosphere in the news shown in TV. 

19 minutes ago, Nerdy Luigi said:

Interested in world events, but I definitely don't watch the news. Instead, I usually listen to people on YouTube talking about it (Humanist Report, Secular Talk) instead, because I feel like mainstream media is shifting way too far to the right. (I personally believe that to be somewhat objective, actually...)

On the contrary most news sources are shifting to the left. Not that many news sources are truly considered conservative; Pew Research only considers the Rush Limbaugh Show, Glenn Beck Show, The Blaze, Breitbart, and The Blaze to be "consistently conservative" (and they always have been), while the New Yorker, Slate, Al Jazeera, the Daily Show, and The Guardian to be "consistently liberal".

Most of mainstream media is near the center but save for Fox News they lean slightly left. 

Edited by Anneal
  • Brohoof 1

News? As in MSM(Mainstream Media)? Nah, not interested.

BBC's full of shit.

CNN's full of the same above.

MSNBC same as the top two. (Love you, Maddow, on Trump's tax returns. Will teach you to shut up about it. Pretty sure if you whine about it again, Trump's gonna slap you. Again.)

Fox is slightly less moronic. Tucker's awesome, especially when he interviews everything from BLM supporters/members to feminists. But apart from that, Fox is the same as the three above-mentioned "news sources".

And don't get me started on WSJ..

If I want more nuanced, researched and actual reliable enough news, I get my stuff from Breitbart, Zerohedge, Mark Dice, Paul Joseph Watson, Sargon of Akkad, etc.

If it's not attacking, insulting, lying about and throwing ad hominems at God Emperor Trump, it's blaming Russia/Russians for all kinds of crap.

Edited by Autism is Cute AF
  • Brohoof 1

22 minutes ago, Anneal said:

On the contrary most news sources are shifting to the left. Not that many news sources are truly considered conservative; Pew Research only considers the Rush Limbaugh Show, Glenn Beck Show, The Blaze, Breitbart, and The Blaze to be "consistently conservative" (and they always have been), while the New Yorker, Slate, Al Jazeera, the Daily Show, and The Guardian to be "consistently liberal".

Most of mainstream media is near the center but save for Fox News they lean slightly left. 

I think the US political spectrum is a bit too skewed to trust. This favors Right-wing thought even, as I can tell by the laughable claim that Nazism is left-wing (because it just isn't...)

58da684b52456_USPoliticalSpectrumisskewed.jpg.1d01cf1d290785ee9952caf162423aee.jpg

So, from what I can see, I don't believe that the "liberal" responses are actually liberal at all.

I haven't read the newspaper since 5-6 years ago, but I certainly do like to read on the Internet. I don't watch TV as much as before. Especially the news. 

I'll be informed by the Internet for everything that's happening in the world. 

Although, I must admit that I do watch the news only when I come home from the University because that's when I have a lunch(or dinner even), so the TV must be turned on.

1 minute ago, Nerdy Luigi said:

I think the US political spectrum is a bit too skewed to trust. This favors Right-wing thought even, as I can tell by the laughable claim that Nazism is left-wing (because it just isn't...)

58da684b52456_USPoliticalSpectrumisskewed.jpg.1d01cf1d290785ee9952caf162423aee.jpg

So, from what I can see, I don't believe that the "liberal" responses are actually liberal at all.

Pew Research is fairly objective, the fact is that most MSM lean slightly to the left because that's their audience. Conservatives don't necessarily trust media as much liberals, so it's obvious why save for a few exceptions most media would lean left. Fox News tries to pander to more to the rural American, so it leans slightly to the right. And we don't even need to talk about Rush Limbaugh or the Blaze, they're basically lunatics. Breitbart has Milo though, which is always fun to watch. 

Either way political polarization has played its part in separating media. The picture you posted isn't even an accurate one. :/

11 minutes ago, Anneal said:

Pew Research is fairly objective, the fact is that most MSM lean slightly to the left because that's their audience. Conservatives don't necessarily trust media as much liberals, so it's obvious why save for a few exceptions most media would lean left. Fox News tries to pander to more to the rural American, so it leans slightly to the right. And we don't even need to talk about Rush Limbaugh or the Blaze, they're basically lunatics. Breitbart has Milo though, which is always fun to watch. 

Either way political polarization has played its part in separating media. The picture you posted isn't even an accurate one. :/

Other than one fairly obvious flaw I already pointed out, I'd say it's pretty freaking accurate... Though I'll admit that the conservative velociraptors and Republicans should probably swap places and I really despise left-right charts, because they are so blanketing of both sides it's downright cringy.

Fox SLIGHTLY to the right? :lol: I watched only about a minute of that junk and I was already able to see that it was catered to alt-right lunatics and Reagan worshippers.

At least the first sentence of the second paragraph is true, though it's probably more of separating it from the audience than the media itself.

I really don't want to do this. Things might get pretty freaking ugly when you cross the line between having a different opinion and being objectively wrong.

Edited by Nerdy Luigi

I watch it sometimes with my dad.  Always interesting to see how the media spins things and what they put on to show the world.  I also love to read old magazines and newspapers so it's always interesting to see how perspectives have changed.  Seems like in the 1960's people started to get a much more negative view on the world but that is just what I've noticed from reading the old magazines.  Also interesting to see how most people view the world.  It can be kind of fun though to talk about world issues with family members to see what they think of things.

14 minutes ago, Nerdy Luigi said:

Other than one fairly obvious flaw I already pointed out, I'd say it's pretty freaking accurate... Though I'll admit that the conservative velociraptors and Republicans should probably swap places and I really despise left-right charts, because they are so blanketing of both sides it's downright cringy.

Fox SLIGHTLY to the right? :lol: I watched only about a minute of that junk and I was already able to see that it was catered to alt-right lunatics and Reagan worshippers.

Fox News is not the most reliable source but yes, it actually doesn't lean very conservative. Most of it is more of Fox being sensationalist and there's some cherry picking involved regarding the "Fox News Syndrome". Even O'Reilly is only considered a center-right conservative.

38 minutes ago, Autism is Cute AF said:

News? As in MSM(Mainstream Media)? Nah, not interested.

BBC's full of shit.

CNN's full of the same above.

MSNBC same as the top two. (Love you, Maddow, on Trump's tax returns. Will teach you to shut up about it. Pretty sure if you whine about it again, Trump's gonna slap you. Again.)

Fox is slightly less moronic. Tucker's awesome, especially when he interviews everything from BLM supporters/members to feminists. But apart from that, Fox is the same as the three above-mentioned "news sources".

And don't get me started on WSJ..

If I want more nuanced, researched and actual reliable enough news, I get my stuff from Breitbart, Zerohedge, Mark Dice, Paul Joseph Watson, Sargon of Akkad, etc.

If it's not attacking, insulting, lying about and throwing ad hominems at God Emperor Trump, it's blaming Russia/Russians for all kinds of crap.

Paul Joseph Watson :love::love::love:

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, DayShadow said:

Paul Joseph Watson :love::love::love:

Obviously. <3

Lots of cool/good Youtubers out there, that I follow. Paul is one of them.

Just now, Autism is Cute AF said:

Obviously. <3

Lots of cool/good Youtubers out there, that I follow. Paul is one of them.

Paul Joseph Watson and Ben Shapiro are pretty much my political idols. Whenever i want to understand something from a position based around facts and evidence i go to them. I used to consider myself a bit of a liberal but after watching them i lean farther right. Although i don't agree with everything that conservatives take a stand on i agree with the majority of it and i like the well spoken conservatives like the two i just mentioned because they are able to articulate there points intelligently and provide support for there statements and arguments they make which in turn makes them 100% more credible than the cancer on the left that think hurt feelings makes for a good argument.

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, Anneal said:

Fox News is not the most reliable source but yes, it actually doesn't lean very conservative. Most of it is more of Fox being sensationalist and there's some cherry picking involved regarding the "Fox News Syndrome". Even O'Reilly is only considered a center-right conservative.

Considered that way by who? The viewers? Also, sensationalism doesn't really justify alt-right conspiracy theories and flat-out lies only an alt-righter could possibly believe... They lie 59% of the time on the show according to that link. That's twice as bad as Clinton even, who only lies 26% of the time...

4 minutes ago, DayShadow said:

Paul Joseph Watson and Ben Shapiro are pretty much my political idols. Whenever i want to understand something from a position based around facts and evidence i go to them. I used to consider myself a bit of a liberal but after watching them i lean farther right. Although i don't agree with everything that conservatives take a stand on i agree with the majority of it and i like the well spoken conservatives like the two i just mentioned because they are able to articulate there points intelligently and provide support for there statements and arguments they make which in turn makes them 100% more credible than the cancer on the left that think hurt feelings makes for a good argument.

Another good Conservative, is Milo Yiannopoulos.

Stefan Molyneux, another Conservative, is VERY good, if you want statistics, evidence, official government numbers, etc. On average, 40-50 minutes, going through statistics, what is ACTUALLY said by people, and how like the MSM spins it. You see the lies, clear as day.

12 minutes ago, Nerdy Luigi said:

Considered that way by who? The viewers? Also, sensationalism doesn't really justify alt-right conspiracy theories and flat-out lies only an alt-righter could possibly believe... They lie 59% of the time on the show according to that link. That's twice as bad as Clinton even, who only lies 26% of the time...

No, it's more that while Fox News attracts consistently conservative viewers, it also attracts people who lean closer to the center as well and lighter conservatives, while other news such as Rush Limbaugh or Glenn Beck attract people further to the right but not so much the moderates. Also, Politifact is referring mostly to the pundits that they choose to show over on news, rather than the reporters themselves; most of the people quoted as part of Fox News are mostly independent pundits or O'Reilly himself. That seems to be an intentional thing on Fox's part, because the reason why they get much more views than CNN is inciting drama all the time by getting some pretty stupid people on the air, regardless of where they lean.

Edited by Anneal

I think i said in a similar Topic, that i dont like to watch news, because i cant change anything anyway. ( or maybe it was a topic regarding politics )

Well, i still dont really watch news all the time, like, i dont have a schedule for them but i like to watch late night news, whenever they are on Tv.

Yes, i cant really change anything if its bad news but im still interested in hearing about stuff. But since i currently dont have a working Tv, i only randomly watch news on the weekend, when im by someone else.

I read the RT website and watch independent news sources on Youtube. I tend to stay away from any corporate news sources. Unless they are covering major events (Terrorism, Natural Disasters, etc.)  then I'll watch them.

1 hour ago, Autism is Cute AF said:

Another good Conservative, is Milo Yiannopoulos.

Stefan Molyneux, another Conservative, is VERY good, if you want statistics, evidence, official government numbers, etc. On average, 40-50 minutes, going through statistics, what is ACTUALLY said by people, and how like the MSM spins it. You see the lies, clear as day.

Milo is an absolute troll and he isn't as great as he says he is but it's certainly hilarious to see people making it easier for him to validate his points.

Also, you forgot Steven Crowder, who usually reviews and argues against certain videos or people. His arguements are sometimes a bit too simplistic but overall he gets the point across. 

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Anneal said:

Milo is an absolute troll and he isn't as great as he says he is but it's certainly hilarious to see people making it easier for him to validate his points.

Also, you forgot Steven Crowder, who usually reviews and argues against certain videos or people. His arguements are sometimes a bit too simplistic but overall he gets the point across. 

Milo is not a troll, he's a provocateur. A troll simply troll people for the fuck out of it. A provocateur intentionally provoke people in order to get a rise out of them, to prove his points. And boy, do they prove his points. Sometimes instantly, too.

Milo does his research, unlike what a troll would usually do. Milo use and cite a lot of sources, statistics, etc. The Regressive Left(Should probably call them the Retarded Left at this point..) time and time again, prove his points, on everything from Islam to feminism. The UC Berkeley riots proved him clearly.

Steven Crowder's a fun guy. Should see when he went to a College to troll some SJW's. Man, that was HILARIOUS!

In terms of news on TV, no, definitely not. If I ever actively seek out current news, I tend to go to Bing for that. Bing is a surprisingly decent source for news stuff.  Televised news is too often the home of long, tired debates that never seem to go anywhere.