Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your opinion on Rainbow Dash?

Traitorous Pony

rainbow_dash_avatar_by_kockacukor9-d9axg

During season 5 episode, Tanks For The Memories , she was being brash and tactless, and a bit overprotective of Tank. By brash and tactless, I mean she was self-assertive and rude, and showing a lack of adroitness and sensitivity in dealing with others or with difficult issues.I get she cared for Tank, but she did more harm than good in that episode. Not only was that selfish, it was endangering her pet to boot. But she had to learn that nothing in life has to go your way, and you need to put your own needs aside for your friends.

What are your opinions on her development as a character in general?

Edited by ForLifeNightcore

She's my favorite character so I'm kinda of biased. I just really hope they stop making garbage like Newbie Dash and 28 Pranks Later for S7 

Also, these threads never go over well 

27 minutes ago, ForLifeNightcore said:

it was endangering her pet to

This implies real life logic applies to a cartoon :P

Edited by Prince Sidon
  • Brohoof 4

26 minutes ago, Prince Sidon said:

She's my favorite character so I'm kinda of biased. I just really hope they stop making garbage like Newbie Dash and 28 Pranks Later for S7 

Newbie Dash is one of my favorite episodes, and Rainbow Dash, is my second favorite character overall... how is it "garbage"?

Edited by Phisica.
  • Brohoof 2

51 minutes ago, ForLifeNightcore said:

rainbow_dash_avatar_by_kockacukor9-d9axg

During season 5 episode, Tanks For The Memories , she was being brash and tactless, and a bit overprotective of Tank. By brash and tactless, I mean she was self-assertive and rude, and showing a lack of adroitness and sensitivity in dealing with others or with difficult issues.I get she cared for Tank, but she did more harm than good in that episode. Not only was that selfish, it was endangering her pet to boot. But she had to learn that nothing in life has to go your way, and you need to put your own needs aside for your friends.

What are your opinions on her development as a character in general?

Personally I just think she's naturally narcissistic and condescending. I think she would lose her character if she acted otherwise... I do like her character development, with her becoming a WonderBolt, though and how that effects her personality and character.

• Brohoof 3

I have a very positive opinion of the character in general, and while I think she wasn't properly utilized in her Season 6 featured episodes, it hasn't hurt my overall opinion of her. And I am very fond of Tanks For the Memories and her characterization in Season 5 as a whole. My second favorite dynamic in the show is the underutilized Rarity and Rainbow dynamic. 

• Brohoof 6

(edited)
36 minutes ago, Prince Sidon said:

It kinda does since even in cartoons pets die. And granny smiths ancestors aren't around either.

Edited by ForLifeNightcore

3 minutes ago, Phisica. said:

I think she would lose her character if she acted otherwise

Extremely important point. RD without some form of self-indulgence and over confidence would not be the same character at all. I think that the flaws of the character can be one of the reasons people appreciate them. RD is no exception to that rule for me. 

• Brohoof 7

1 minute ago, ForLifeNightcore said:

It kinda does since even in cartoons pets die. 

I would rather a metaphor live than a pet die. ;)

• Brohoof 1

19 minutes ago, Phisica. said:

Newbie Dash is one of my favorite episodes, and Rainbow Dash, is my second favorite character overall... how is it "garbage"?

The episode is about Rainbow Dash finally getting into the Wonderbolts, yet the episode spends it's entire runtime humiliating her and treating her like garbage, never giving her a chance to recover. 

It does the complete opposite of everything it was supposed to do

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Prince Sidon said:

The episode is about Rainbow Dash finally getting into the Wonderbolts, yet the episode spends it's entire runtime humiliating her and treating her like garbage, never giving her a chance to recover. 

It does the complete opposite of everything it was supposed to do

Well, she did sort of embarrass herself by trying not to be herself.

3 minutes ago, ForLifeNightcore said:

Well, she did sort of embarrass herself by trying not to be herself.

My main problem is that, despite the episode being about RD finally achieving her goal, it never gives her a chance to shine. Wouldn't have a problem with her getting humiliated if by the second half, or last third, it gave her a chance to come through and shine, but instead it just further humiliates her. 

But I'll stop there, I really don't want to turn this into another thread where I constantly rant about about Newbie Dash as I'm sure people are getting beyond sick of me doing that :P

• Brohoof 2

My signature should tell my opinion. From begin on wen started watching, she became like more and more my fave, even with her negative way sometimes. Heck at the begin she was even my waifu. Nowadays I like others more too, but she will always stay my number 1 :3

• Brohoof 1

I personally believe she has the poorest character development of the mane six, is the least friendly of the mane six, and fits her element the worst. That's not a bad thing, as she has some pretty stiff competition, but I still don't entirely like her.

She can get so condescending and narcissistic at times, and I get kind of annoyed by it and wish it would stop. She's like Post-Movie Patrick but not really dumb and definitely not NEARLY as bad about her behavior. He is a maligned and completely evil character in some episodes. This is bad.

Edited by Nerdy Luigi
Clarification
  • Brohoof 1

I think after she got in the wonder bolt,  there's nothing else to developed for her. Aside from that,  i think RD itself is a one of the characters who has this"bad cop" persona to balance thing out in a "happy-go-lucky" show.

• Brohoof 1

Waifu material.
Kinda.
I do find her annoying sometimes, her behavior and sometimes her "shrieky" voice (not when she talks quitely/normal).
But oh she is/can be soooo adorable.
Even decided that she was to become my first commissioned plushie, and so she became.

• Brohoof 1

While, don't get me wrong, I don't dislike any member of the mane 6, I must admit that I'm not a huge fan of Rainbow Dash. I know that her brash, bold and "cool" attitude is really appealing to some people, to me it always seemed kind of irritating or sometimes even forced, and there were moments were I thought she got to much of the limelight when compared to the rest of the mane 6 ( particuarly in Season 2 ). I must admit that I don't fully understand her popularity, or why she's the the fan-favourite character. There were times were her attitude actually had an overall negative impact on the episodes that she was in, and when I was trying to review season 1, I occasionally had to knock a few points off of an, otherwise good or even great episode as a result of this ( a prime example of this being Dragonshy ).

Also, while I know that this isn't Rainbow's fault, I personally really hate jocks/athletic types.

• Brohoof 2

She's my favorite, so my opinion is a bit bias, but strap yourselves in... Cause its about to get philosophical in here. Here is how I see it. RD doesn't do affection(at least not publicly) She would rather somepony else get hurt rather than have her air of toughness or her bravado damaged in front of the eyes of the public. Now lets take the Mane 6 and Tank into consideration. These are Dashie's life lines. Her loyal personality is sworn to these characters, and are the few exceptions where she will drop her guard and tough bravado, and openly show affection to another. This shows an extremely deep trusting and level of attachment to these characters. You could also take into account that Tank saves Dashie's life before she chose him as her pet, which also could be placing a high level of emotional burden on Dash in a time in which she feels she will lose him. And in a situation like this(even in human behavioral studies) RD went into full damage control mode, placing the safety and attentiveness to all other characters and their property under her need to keep control of her situation to prevent an unwanted change in her life and day to day activities. This is basically the same pattern of self destruction that an addict shows when they are faced with the possibility of having their high of choice taken away. 

• Brohoof 4

I think she's pretty awesome. I love that she is so loyal and flys fast but she's just a bit to cool for me. I prefer a Fluttershy type of Pegasus:fluttershy:. Not trying to dis Rainbow Dash any way >_>

Edited by Lunarpalette
  • Brohoof 3

Earlier on, I thought Rainbow Dash was overrated and a bit too arrogant for my taste. But I really don't mind her anymore. She's got her hilarious and TOTALLY AWESOME moments, as well as heartwarming moments like in Hurricane Fluttershy. If anything, most of her Wonderbolt episodes have been underwhelming.

She's got too much charisma for me to really dislike her.

Edited by Prospekt
  • Brohoof 1

Rainbow Dash is an awesome character, but the show downplayed her character after season 3, she should an awesome character do awesome stuffs but what do we get? Get some worst episodes, hold the idiot stick for the longest duration in the show, her abilities are not 100 % utilized in a lot of episodes. I want some episodes like Sonic Rainboom, Wonderbolt Academy, Hurricane Fluttershy, Stranger than Fanfiction, Flight to Finish, Sleepless in Ponyville, they all emphasized what make her awesome like athletic, dare devil, loyalty, team captain (she now has best faces in S6 which is a nice bonus), the fact is: she was my best pony in S1, best mane color, badass, she should be one who will kick the bad guys in the butt with SONIC SPEED. What a waste of awesome character. Write some episode that Rainbow Dash can KICK someone ass while FLYING in Sonic Speed, plz, writers, why make her stay in the ground and hold the idiot stick?

• Brohoof 1

Best horse. Did absolutely nothing wrong and remains best horse in spite of the mainstream media and Dave Polsky's longstanding efforts to destroy her reputation, trivialize her accomplishments and ignore significant character development on her part. She's hilarious, adorable, relatable and marketable.

Was generally unhappy with her portrayal during season 6, but she was still excellent outside of Newbie Dash and the zombie reference episode. Hoping next season will be a return to form for her.

• Brohoof 5