Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Follow limit

碇 シンジン

I assume that the issue that I was facing in the previous version of the board is still present by i which I mean the notifications stop being sent after you have  above certain amount of followers/friends  though the friends changing to followers brings up a different situation since as I was aware in the previous  version the friendship had to be accepted on both sides and the follower system sounds like a system where people can follow you without your consent like in most social media sites and as far as I'm aware you cannot remove individuals  from following you though I haven't tested it but due to this the number of people following people will only increase since based on my experience people aren't very active unfollowing people and thus I think it would be more wise to create a upper limit on how many people you can follow rather than limiting how many people can follow you until the notifications stop being sent 

I don't know if this is something that is possible to fix or alter but I just  thought I'd let you know 

• Brohoof 2

I don't really think there should be a limit myself. There's so many great people here and I wanna be able to follow everyone I consider a friend.

• Brohoof 2

The limit existed before for technical reasons. If I remember correctly (because I was only a Sectional at the time), the forum notification feature actually crashed completely when someone's friend list got too big and the notification engine broke under the strain. *Nobody* got notifications for a short while because of it, and it took a couple of times for the techpones to figure out what was causing it. Because the follower system is completely new and replaced the friends system in the forum software we're using, it may not have the same glitch.

• Brohoof 3

7 minutes ago, Tangle said:

I don't really think there should be a limit myself. There's so many great people here and I wanna be able to follow everyone I consider a friend.

I think like that too but as I was introduced to the limit system by deviantart  i was first against it but when I thought about it it is really most convenient  for  everyone  as their reasoning was that there isn't enough time on the day to reply or read every single update when you are following let's say 10 000 people.

I'm not sure what limit could work best on a site like this but I think it is atleast better than stopping the notifications completely from people that have above certain amount of followers as the content the followers are subscribed to  is not delivered to them

2 minutes ago, Fhaolan said:

The limit existed before for technical reasons. If I remember correctly (because I was only a Sectional at the time), the forum notification feature actually crashed completely when someone's friend list got too big and the notification engine broke under the strain. *Nobody* got notifications for a short while because of it, and it took a couple of times for the techpones to figure out what was causing it. Because the follower system is completely new and replaced the friends system in the forum software we're using, it may not have the same glitch.

I'm not 100% sure of this but the system behaved similarly  when I posted a new status by which I mean that when i press post it seems like nothing happened and i would be still seeing the box where i typed the status as if i was still writing it I couldn't see the new status posted until I refreshed the page. I believe it should've shown me the status as posted or at least move me out of the text box state. 

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

It would be great if there was atleast a way for me to remove my some followers, because currently my account is pretty much screwed and every other account that surpasses the limit if there isnt an option to remove some followers which im not aware that there is.

• Brohoof 1

There are three problems here that should not be seen as connected technical issues. 

The old forums notification issue required a cap for the reason Fhaolan mentioned. If a specific individual exceeded that friend cap then others stopped receiving notifications derived from them in some cases. IPB 4's architecture and approach to a friends list may not result in the same issue. We don't know because no one is following that many people I don't think. If there isn't a system overhead or backend purpose to introduce a cap, I would not be in favor of it. 

The behavior that you are experiencing with the status updates not displaying instantly happens here, and other forums using this version of the IPB software. You sometimes have to click or tap submit twice. That isn't connected to the follow feature or notifications as far as I know. 

As far as the Follower limitations, when influencing clients like Adriano Faria can't get IPB to change course, you know Charles and company are set on following the user content subscription model. They did have an extension adding some control back, but that was abandoned last year. I'm not sure what, if any options will be added in the new upcoming version. 

I almost think changing the language string to something besides "follower" would be beneficial. I remember the almost ridiculous debate of friends vs. followers in the IPB forum a few years back. 

Here for a laugh or two and some insight on how IPS thinks and talks to their clients. 

I'm only posting it because this may come up from someone, and it shows you that IPS kinda loves their current system. Should users be able to remove people that are following them? I am indifferent about it. Either way is fine, and no matter how it's designed I could care less. I'm not creeped out or angered when people that I don't care for happen to follow me.

Too often I see people use the unfriend and unfollow options as nothing more than a inmaturly childish punctuation after an unfortunate encounter. A digital slamming of the phone. I get it, but I'm not going to champion the option.  If it gets added, cool. If not, cool. 

• Brohoof 1