Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP Forums Will And Testament: The Option To Pass On An Account To Another Forum Member

Denim&Venöm

I had this idea for a while now. With the site update, might as well recommend it.

Some days I wondered, what would happen if I died, or got hurt real badly, or something went down that prevented me from logging back onto MLP forums for a long time? MLP forums shoudl be the furthest thing on my mind. But this site and what i do on it is important to me. 

So my idea was an MLP forums will and testament of sorts. Should something happen and there's no activity on my account for 90 days or more, I'd like for possession  and access to my account, my blogs, my posts, my OCs, to be passed on to another member of my choosing. 

But I don't want this to just be me. I want this to be an option to all forum goers. The option to have their legacy passed onto another friend here on MLP Forums. 

Is there any way to make this a feature, or at least secure a way that it can be done, at the absolute very least in my case?

• Brohoof 4

Though my "legacy" is still long in the making I don't quite see those as valid reasons to pass on everything someone has made themselves in this place.. If it was something like my warthunder account, sure. That game takes ages to complete. My name amounts to very little there and I have top tier tanks and jets I know a lot of people really want to try, I'd me more than happy to make it a free account for someone to use should I completely stop playing for whatever reason.

but I feel it's different here, my profile picture and name are one thing, but the reputation and personality behind them are things nobody can replicate. There might be many other bronies that are obsessed with tanks, someone might use the same name or copy my profile picture. But that doesn't change the fact there will only be one me. And I see no good in someone else talking control of another's account. It's not their identity to have.

that's just how I see it, it's my "legacy" and nobody else is me.

Edited by JU88snow
  • Brohoof 2

I would approve of this. So very very much, as one could imagine. It's funny because Feld and I had a discussion quite a long while back when I was a TL in Canterlot about what the site's role would be should a member pass away. 

When my wife passed away, there were some minor changes that I requested on her profile since I felt it inappropriate to log in with her password (her avatar and display name were stuck with a joke related to the MCM) and they had no issue with making the changes. However, my relationship with them and the nature of the situation made it easier to trust. This may not be the case if another member were to die. I think something like this would be a good idea if it could be implemented. 

• Brohoof 6

It would be nice... But There should also be a way to make sure you didn't just ditch the forums for awhile. Maybe like an email. Or for people that dont check emails often have someone that knows the said person off the forums by social media or in real life confirm something happened to them.

• Brohoof 3

8 minutes ago, Jeric said:

I think something like this would be a good idea if it could be implemented. 

What you describe I can agree with more, when I get around to making my profile page I will include a an offer for those who are feeling down to message me in hopes that I can try and help them, things like this I feel should be removed on my behalf for the greater good. Small profile edits are understandable and I can completely respect that. But complete possession seems a tad extreme.. I suppose he did say it should be an option though...

• Brohoof 1

To be honest I don't know what to think about this.

At first I was thinking "Why anypony should mess around with my account, when I'd be gone?" ~ but then I've read Jeric's post and it not only made me sad (sorry to hear that D:), but actually gave an example of a good usage of that feature, thus made me realize, that it wouldn't be a bad idea. :twi:

To be honest I was wondering on something like this before. You see, I'm active here and there and if something would actually happen to me, then I'd really want to let others know what happened ~ that I'm gone or something ~ not just randomly disappeared. I was considering giving my password to my younger brother, just in case, but when you think about this - it's kind of silly. Giving him my password and telling him what to do (post a status update please! D:) when I'd die would be at least weird, even though he'd probably understand that. On the other hoof, I use 'remember me' features, so he always can get to my PC and log into my account(s) anytime anyway, though still, that would be weird to ask him about that kind of stuff, well unless I actually would be dying and I'd have a chance to talk to him ~ Then mentioning this wouldn't be really that awkward. :P

Personally I think I wouldn't need that feature, but I can see some nice possibilities coming with it. All I know is that I wouldn't mind that as that obviously would be optional.

Heh, either way I can say it now, that when I'd be gone for 2~3 months, then definitely something bad had to happen to me. I wouldn't leave without saying goodbye first. :rarity:

• Brohoof 1

Another option that would prevent account theft  ... would be establishing a notice of death policy that would lock the profile as a memorial page similar to how Facebook does it. The drawback is that option would work in my case (where a person who is executor can submit a death cert to verify), but wouldn't work in the situation that D&V suggests. In my example I was also a registered user of this place. The account theft is a concern. This really needs to be something people consider as we create a stronger and more personal internet presence. We do have a digital legacy.   

This is why I have an envelope of websites that my surviving family can access if I die. This site and a few names are on it so that they can at least notify someone if I have passed away. Just so people won't go, "The hell happened to Jeric?"

• Brohoof 3

• 11 months later...