Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does anyone else find it incredibly stupid that Twilight left Sunset in human world?

ManaMinori

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that  pony Twilight was the very first individual to offer Sunset Shimmer a chance to change, after of bout with  her former mentor? It was Twilight's extending a hand out to Sunset after she got blasted with the EoH and crawled out of that giant crater that caused her to change- to become the person that she is, today. It was PONY Twilight  who- by that one simple gesture and offer of turnaround- made Sunset Shimmer into the pony/person we love. Yet STUPIDLY, Twilight- the very pony who set that change in motion in Sunset, LEFT her there in the human world. In spite of all Sunset's power and potential and the fact that she was SUNBUTT'S FORMER STUDENT, abandoned her in a world where she (Twilight) couldn't monitor what effects her one simple gesture of kindness and reform had on Sunset, left her with 5 complete strangers who still didn't care for her too much, and entrusted Sunset's friendship regime to then, yet pony Twilight, later takes in Starlight Gutter to keep an eye on her and her friendship progress, and power levels, and it's completely unfair. 

Should Twlight have taken Sunset back to Equestria at the end of the first movie? Would Sunset have become the pony/'person we love, had she been given lessons back in her rightful home, as Twilight's student, and surrounded by pony magic? Is it unfair that Twilight- being the cause of Sunset's change, hasn't been around as actively as she should've been, to guide Sunset, as she's been doing with Starlight Gutter? 

• Brohoof 2

Starlight Gutter... X'D

In short... Yes.

The writers should've just said "AH, BUCK THE CANON! GIVE 'EM SUNSET!" But it never happened. (I'm still hopeful though!) :squee:

I think Twilight knew what she was doing. After the battle, Sunset grew up there and had to show the others that she's sorry for how she treated them. If she did get sent back to Equestria, it would cause problems and confusion between Sunset and the pony mane six.

Actually I thought it was weird that she left Sunset in the human world at the end of EG1. But on the other side, Twilight probably thought that Sunset had to make up for what she did there, and that would not have been possible if she would have gone back to Equestria.

What Twilight did was the right course of action despite it causing some lingering plot holes that need filling. Sunset needed to right the wrongs she had committed to those who live in the human world and find her own path in life before she could move on. While she has succeeded on both fronts without question, Sunset might secretly be afraid of going back given how she left Equestria in the first place. She might think Celestia can't forgive her for what happened and as such isn't quite ready to confront her. Granted, this is something the writers really need to resolve given how it has been left in the lurch for so long.

• Brohoof 1

I can see why they left Sunset in the human world if their reasoning was to have her make amends for her wrongdoing. But, having been redeemed, she doesn't really need to spend her whole life reliving the past either. If she's good, she's good, and that's all there needs to be about it. If she were to return to Equestria, that would leave all kinds of possibilities open for her redemption there, if it was something the writers considered necessary. In any case, I think she would have made a better choice as a student for Twilight than Starlight Gutter (such a fitting name!) and she wouldn't seem like such a forced pairing with Twi as Starlight was. 

8 hours ago, Ganondorf8 said:

What Twilight did was the right course of action despite it causing some lingering plot holes that need filling. Sunset needed to right the wrongs she had committed to those who live in the human world and find her own path in life before she could move on. While she has succeeded on both fronts without question, Sunset might secretly be afraid of going back given how she left Equestria in the first place. She might think Celestia can't forgive her for what happened and as such isn't quite ready to confront her. Granted, this is something the writers really need to resolve given how it has been left in the lurch for so long.

still doesn't make sense. Sunset had to stay in the human world to right her wrongs, with the people she massed with there, but on the other hoof, Starlight Gutter gets to move into the castle with Twilight, and pulled away from the village, rather than being forced to stay there and right the wrongs with the ponies she messed with there? 

7 hours ago, Dreambiscuit said:

I can see why they left Sunset in the human world if their reasoning was to have her make amends for her wrongdoing. But, having been redeemed, she doesn't really need to spend her whole life reliving the past either. If she's good, she's good, and that's all there needs to be about it. If she were to return to Equestria, that would leave all kinds of possibilities open for her redemption there, if it was something the writers considered necessary. In any case, I think she would have made a better choice as a student for Twilight than Starlight Gutter (such a fitting name!) and she wouldn't seem like such a forced pairing with Twi as Starlight was. 

see above post (to Ganondorf8) for response

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎30 at 8:31 AM, Nightmare Muffin said:

still doesn't make sense. Sunset had to stay in the human world to right her wrongs, with the people she massed with there, but on the other hoof, Starlight Gutter gets to move into the castle with Twilight, and pulled away from the village, rather than being forced to stay there and right the wrongs with the ponies she messed with there? 

You also need to remember that the way the show and Equestria Girls are set up, the show influences EQG but the latter doesn't influence the former. I know it's not the best thing out there but Sunset's very existence has yet to be brought up in the show.

It's hard to take you seriously when you refer to Celestia as "Sunbutt," but I have thought about it. Sunset making amends would be worthwhile, but this was before Twilight reworked the mirror, so she's still stranded on the other side. Would it not be best to bring her back home and give her, say, a fresh start in Ponyville? 

The thing is, the Human 5 know what happened, what she has to atone for, and how she has changed. Maybe Twilight thought they were best equipped to guide her, and that they could at least offer her some understanding. Still, I'm not sure that's an inherently better option, and it's still technically stranding her among people who were wronged by her and might hate her. I still wonder if bringing her back would have been better.

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

It's hard to take you seriously when you refer to Celestia as "Sunbutt," but I have thought about it. Sunset making amends would be worthwhile, but this was before Twilight reworked the mirror, so she's still stranded on the other side. Would it not be best to bring her back home and give her, say, a fresh start in Ponyville? 

The thing is, the Human 5 know what happened, what she has to atone for, and how she has changed. Maybe Twilight thought they were best equipped to guide her, and that they could at least offer her some understanding. Still, I'm not sure that's an inherently better option, and it's still technically stranding her among people who were wronged by her and might hate her. I still wonder if bringing her back would have been better.

Fact of the matter is- Twilight failed Sunbutt  (get used to it) in both worlds. Pony Sunbutt expressed desire for Ss to return to Equestria, seeking her guidance, but Twilight didn't deliver on bringing her back. Then Principal Sunbutt , just moments before told Twilight what it meant to be a princess- to encourage others to stand with her, rather than forcing people to bow before her. Yet what did Twilight do after that ? She FORCED Sunset to stay in a world that wasn't her own, and in the "care" of 5 teenage girls (and teens are not the best role models, ok?) That she had wronged. So much for Twilight learning the lesson she just got told by Principal Sunbutt, about encouraging Sunset to stand with her, and bringing her home. 

Huge point that everyone seams to be missing. It's Batman Logic.

"Gotham would be better off without batman!"

-points at the Christopher Nolan movies as a example.

no... Gotham would have been blow up in the first movie without batman. There would be no movie after that, the city 100% without batman... gone.

So let's say that Twilight brings Princess BaconHair back.

What happens in Rainbow Rocks?.....

Right the Mane... five. Still put out Equestrian Magic. The Sirens show up... Most likely don't even get noticed by the mane 5 in time. Even if they do, there is no way that the girls can get a hold twilight and sunset. And the school gets taken over by The Sirens..... Well. Kind of bites the rest of the argument in the flank...

Or..

Friendship Games... Bla bla bla. Without Bacon hair there. Sci-Twi / Midnight Sparkle more or less destroy the EQ world. And most likely totally mess up Eqestria.

and I can do this with Everfree also.

Point being that if you remove some one's ability to do something. (Like help / repay some one) Then all you ever do is 100% ensure that they never do.

And yes, you can make the argument that Twilight didn't know that any of that was going to happen...But..

I would make the argument that is actually a clearly demonstrated power that Princess seam to have in the show.

I hate to make this a potentially meta/meta physical discussion. but..

A think a big part of the entire princess thing in FIM/EQ is that your suppose to trust there choices with second guessing them.

-I mean this could start a whole discussion of how much does Princess Celestia ~Holds up right hoove~ "All Hail the God-Empress Celestia!" actually know what is going to happen? Is she just guessing? Is she just really really good at reading what is going to happen. Or is it actually some kind of prescience. 

Well, Sunny had TONS of amends to make. Plus she was (emphasis on WAS), a girl who lost her magic, so she no longer posed a threat. Though I think she should return to Equestria one day to make up with Celly though :huh:

On 2017-04-01 at 1:38 AM, Nightmare Muffin said:

Fact of the matter is- Twilight failed Sunbutt  (get used to it) in both worlds. Pony Sunbutt expressed desire for Ss to return to Equestria, seeking her guidance, but Twilight didn't deliver on bringing her back. Then Principal Sunbutt , just moments before told Twilight what it meant to be a princess- to encourage others to stand with her, rather than forcing people to bow before her. Yet what did Twilight do after that ? She FORCED Sunset to stay in a world that wasn't her own, and in the "care" of 5 teenage girls (and teens are not the best role models, ok?) That she had wronged. So much for Twilight learning the lesson she just got told by Principal Sunbutt, about encouraging Sunset to stand with her, and bringing her home. 

I don't think Twilight forced Sunset to stay. What I don't know is why Sunset didn't follow Twilight back. Did she think life would be better in this weird world where everyone hates her? Why didn't Twilight offer something else? 

• 2 weeks later...

The initial decision to leave Sunset there sounds very illogical for all the reasons stated above. But with more magic and possibly beings crossing over from Equestria, Sunset is now needed there to help keep that world safe. 

Not at all, sunset made friends in the human world, why would she want to abandon them and go back to equestria?
I don't think twilight left her, sunset chose to stay :)

On 4/16/2017 at 11:22 PM, JU88snow said:

I don't think twilight left her, sunset chose to stay :)

Right. If Twilight made a decision it was to not force Sunset to come back to answer for her crimes in Equestria. She just got the crown as she intended and left.