Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do people hate Jehovah's Witnesses?

ManaMinori

5 minutes ago, Daring_Do said:

I used to be indifferent towards them, til I found a forum thread on another MLP fansite, created by someone who was born into the Jehovah's Witnesses. (Another Jehovah's Witness, who hadn't "left" the group yet, but no longer believed in them, also weighed in on the same thread.)

http://www.roundstable.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=13411&hilit=cult&sid=b4100e0e622708f6c622fa825a416b03

I did some research of my own afterwards, on, uh... Wikipedia. >_> But if what Wikipedia says is true, then there are some concerning things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Jehovah's_Witnesses#Social_criticisms

I recommend giving this a read.

isn't Wiki made by anybody who wants to edit info on the page? You're using that as your source? 

I don't hate religion. People can believe what they want to believe. 

From my experience, as my cousins are in fact Jehovahs Witnesses:

Jehovahs Witnesses shun the LGBT community. One man one woman is their rule. They don't believe in the selfishness of celebrating your own birthday. They do not allow you to date normally. Whoever you 'date' is the one you will marry and you must be loyal to them for the rest of your life.

The Jehovahs Witnesses force people to change who they really are so when they die, they can get to 'Jehovahs Paradise'. They believe they are helping you when really, they are not.

Peace in this world is where everyone accepts everybody. Jehovahs Witnesses want to change everyone to be 'perfect' for Jehovah.

Myself, being part of the LGBT community have kept my sexuality a secret. If they discover I am,they will try to change me. If they're unsuccessful? They will literally block you out, Jehovahs would forbid them to speak to me.

I honestly do not see this as a positive religion. Look up all the videos on YouTube about it or whatever. 

I don't think they are causing peace at all. It feels like they are really starting wars.

I'm sorry to any Jehovahs Witnesses I may have offended but this is my view point and personal opinion.

• Brohoof 3

3 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

isn't Wiki made by anybody who wants to edit info on the page? You're using that as your source? 

I know it's a questionable source; Wikipedia proper at least makes an effort to cite external sources, however.

I'm also going off of personal testimony from those... two people. and a third person I met in real life.

When you put it that way, it does seem questionable, but that's why I specified "if what it says is true".

True story. My next door neighbor is a Jehovah's witness. My wife was a practicing Wiccan. They used show up with friends and knock even though we have said we are already aware of their faith, values, and beliefs and they do not fit our own views. They are welcome to come over for refreshments, but please leave the Watchtower at home. They declined but still come over. I eventually went over and requested that they please cease. They continued. 

My wife decided to reverse the issue slightly. She would stop by weekly with oils, candles, and incense and offered to purify the house. They were highly uncomfortable. Especially when she said she could do so from her altar if they had no issues. 

They stopped knocking. 

• Brohoof 7

Put it this way, they're among the most of the hypocritical and judgmental of the Christian denominations. My ex wife was on (she now only just ex-communicated herself and stopped believing because of her new fiance, but when i was with her, she refused to and made me stop being a pagan), but whenever I went to the meetings with her, I was constantly looked down upon for being younger than her, having met her online, liking things like mlp, metal music ,video games and fantasy... So yeah... they're basically an exclusive doomsday cult..minus the mass suicide/murder

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Jeric said:

True story. My next door neighbor is a Jehovah's witness. My wife was a practicing Wiccan. They used show up with friends and knock even though we have said we are already aware of their faith, values, and beliefs and they do not fit our own views. They are welcome to come over for refreshments, but please leave the Watchtower at home. They declined but still come over. I eventually went over and requested that they please cease. They continued. 

My wife decided to reverse the issue slightly. She would stop by weekly with oils, candles, and incense and offered to purify the house. They were highly uncomfortable. Especially when she said she could do so from her altar if they had no issues. 

They stopped knocking. 

From what I've *heard* - and Nightmare Muffin is free to call my sources into question - they're obligated by the organization to proselytize. According to the Wikipedia article the Jehovah's Witnesses are pretty authoritarian and not much for free thinking and free speech. So your neighbors might not even have been doing it entirely by choice. It's a troubling group, if everything I've heard/read is to be believed.

• Brohoof 2

8 minutes ago, Daring_Do said:

From what I've *heard* - and Nightmare Muffin is free to call my sources into question - they're obligated by the organization to proselytize. According to the Wikipedia article the Jehovah's Witnesses are pretty authoritarian and not much for free thinking and free speech. So your neighbors might not even have been doing it entirely by choice. It's a troubling group, if everything I've heard/read is to be believed.

I've heard the same thing, that it's a primary tenet of their belief. If it is the case, I'm happy they decided to ignore it in our case. 

Curiously, we got routine visits from two young Morman teens on their bikes. Their approach tended to be more conversational and they seemed focused more on us as individuals than with recruiting. When my wife was sick they would stop by only to check on her. That approach seemed kind which I appreciated. 

• Brohoof 1

I've had family involved with the religion, and I've been to a kingdom hall a couple times. There's a lot I like about them, and there's a lot I dislike about them.

I admire the fact that they take their studies seriously- they have study guides for meeting in their watchtowers and such. They're expected to actually pick apart and study the Bible and then participate in discussions during Meeting. I also admire that the children weren't sent to another room to be babysat- children were able to be in that same discussion as the adults.

Unfortunately, the congregation that part of my family was a part of believed in throwing your children/teenagers out on the street if they did not share your views. This is what happened to all my aunts and uncles when they were growing up. 

Add that to the fact that they constantly harass people and the fact that they only approve of their own version of the Bible and you can kind of see why people want to avoid them.

• Brohoof 3

As a Christian myself, I have no problem with them... as long as three male strangers in suits don't corner me alone in front of my house right as I pull into my driveway after a hard shift at work.

Seriously guys, I TOTALLY get evangelism, but don't do that.

I had a much more positive experience with these two lady missionaries. They asked if I was a believer, and I said I was, but of a different denomination. Then we had a nice discussion about how God looks after us, and one of them even asked if they could quote something I said, which went something like:

"God doesn't give us anything we can't handle. And if the creator of existence thinks I can handle something, well shoot, who am I to doubt myself?"

They really liked that. Gave me a card and left. So, totally cool with them as long as they respect someone's personal space and refrain from making people feel trapped/cornered.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 1

10 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

As a Christian myself, I have no problem with them... as long as three male strangers in suits don't corner me alone in front of my house right as I pull into my driveway after a hard shift at work.

Seriously guys, I TOTALLY get evangelism, but don't do that.

I had a much more positive experience with these two lady missionaries. They asked if I was a believer, and I said I was, but of a different denomination. Then we had a nice discussion about how God looks after us, and one of them even asked if they could quote something I said, which went something like:

"God doesn't give us anything we can't handle. And if the creator of existence thinks I can handle something, well shoot, who am I to doubt myself?"

They really liked that. Gave me a card and left. So, totally cool with them as long as they respect someone's personal space and refrain from making people feel trapped/cornered.

So you're a Christian? What's the secret handshake?

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Daring_Do said:

So you're a Christian? What's the secret handshake?

LOL!! Well if you're Catholic I THINK it goes something like take your hand, put it to your head, then to your heart, then to both your shoulders while saying "Father, Son, Holy Spirit", then put both hands together in praying position. ;)

• Brohoof 4

2 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

LOL!! Well if you're Catholic I THINK it goes something like take your hand, put it to your head, then to your heart, then to both your shoulders while saying "Father, Son, Holy Spirit", then put both hands together in praying position. ;)

Pfff. No way! Adult people wouldn't do that on public.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, ShadOBabe said:

I'll accept that answer. Texas Catholic, huh? Episcopalian here. :)

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Crypty the Explorer said:

I'm 26 and I carry a bag with a cartoon pegasus on it everywhere.

I do what I want.

But I'm also Baptist, so the Catholic handshake doesn't apply to me. XD

Just now, ShadOBabe said:

I do what I want.

But I'm also Baptist, so the Catholic handshake doesn't apply to me. XD

What! And you didn't mention the Jesus Fish? You disappoint me.

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Daring_Do said:

I'll accept that answer. Texas Catholic, huh? Episcopalian here. :)

Heehee, no, Baptist. See above.

We prefer to stand on one leg, rub our tummies, and pat our heads while saying "rubber baby buggy bumpers".

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, Daring_Do said:

What! And you didn't mention the Jesus Fish? You disappoint me.

LOL!! "Jesus fish"!

Uhm, I believe the PROPER term is the "Ichthys" you noob.

Just kidding, I totally had to Google that. "Jesus fish" works great.

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

7 minutes ago, Crypty the Explorer said:

I do what I want.

Hey! No jokes with cartoon pegasi. It's a serious business.

• Brohoof 1

I think the majority of people view them on the same level of annoyance as telemarketers due to there aggravating persistence. I personally have never met a Jehovah's Witness but if i ever did i can imagine it would be an awkward experience. Being that i am an atheist i have no desire to listen to a word of what they have to say. I don't think people would dislike them as much if they actually used common courtesy and leave people alone when they ask them too. I would be polite on my first encounter and simply tell them i am not interested but if they kept coming to my door day after day preaching the same garbage without respecting that i want no part of it i am going to get pissed. Thats the part where you open the door naked. 

Edited by DayShadow
  • Brohoof 1

If you politely ask them not to return, they wont? People just like to meme them like that "oh boo hoo, my bleeding schedule of watching off season ESPN was disrupted by someone trying to be active for their social community and is involving themselves in something greater than themselves." There isnt a sense of general self righteousness, when they do excommunications, and what not, its upon their own convictions, and the reasoning is for the most positive outlet of social faith, I dont agree with it however, and I think some of the rules, and dis-communication of all mainstream holidays I dont necessarily agree with, but I think there is a contrast of reformation that could make something like JW incredible.. I listened to a speaker, and sat through the service, the people were forthcoming to me despite being covered in tattoos with long facial hair, and hair, I wore dress clothes because they are always dressed very well, and I feel like I am under dressed even trying to be on that formal level in a church... I dont get the same vibe, and I have had urges to be involved with the church, and had dreams about one of the guys I have met, oddly enough, I have had some very abstract dreams, I dont remember them all, but there are some I do, and some I dont, and tend to write them down... (this is a side note) but there feels an odd connection with the faith or at least the collective, I would be happy to be involved genuine, and if it is of purpose, this doesnt diminish my belief in science, or any of the spiritual/personal experiences I have already had, but I walked away the first time and didnt bite so easily, they still routinely make their trip back and just have a discussion from time to time, and invite my to the Easter based celebration, my brother is an abrasive atheist and has had discussions with them from the same house, their persistence to their faith kept them coming back irregardless, because of the time I had given them... I have a lot of respect for them, and people treat them like crap and complain about them simply on the merit of them wanting to do so... but I know there is more to the watch tower than meets than eye, and I know this from my very conventional visit but non conventional feelings. I am interested in becoming closer to the people in the community because offering purpose is better than making your purpose criticism, (i have been told) I have a free mind with cult like loyalties to my character, the duality of your being, rests on, what matters more to you, existing and looking for reasons to be happy about it, even if you arent, or sadly pretending your mind is any more free than those who freely indulge hope. I dont believe, but I also dont, not believe, you make a believer out of someone based on their feelings, and based on what these things bring someone, calling something a placebo because it doesnt effect you, isnt entirely accurate, I wont get into the depth of spirituality, old gods, or how we have independent connections with deities in different name. but this rests on your own conviction, belief, etc... judging someone on their sacrifice and dedication, your time isnt being stolen, you choose to either evade them, or tell them not to come back.

• Brohoof 2

13 minutes ago, Rose Coil said:

Unfortunately, there are individuals in every group on Earth that give the rest of their group a bad rap.

Good on you sticking up for people that have been good to you, even if you don't see eye-to-eye on everything.

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

Do they ask for your ex when they come, or do they ask for you?

They don't actually ask for anyone. Might just be they made a note that someone here was interested, or maybe they've just become overzealous in recent months.

Have you specifically told them not to come around again?

Yes. They keep coming back. Sometimes different people.

Why not ask your ex and see what they're coming for, if they're there for that person?

I'm not talking to her. You talk to her. :DShe would likely be just as confused as I. She simply waited them out for two minutes and took their pamphlet.

After reading the thread that @Daring_Do linked, I have become intrigued. It definitely seems like a cult. Gonna do some more research on it and will come back with a more educated opinion.

If it turns out that they are a cult, I'm going to greet them next time with a "Hail Odin" and without a shirt on so that they can see all my heathen ink. Wanna see how they respond.